Strymon Night Sky is out... Have we heard it all?

While I love the almost infinite flexibility and reproducibility of Axe routings, configurations, modifiers, channels, scenes, and presets etc, I do miss turning dedicated knobs which can lead to unpredictable and surprising results.

I asked this before but is anyone using a physical knob controller surface as a kind of "performance tab" tied to fixed block parameters like this?

While I love the almost infinite flexibility and reproducibility of Axe routings, configurations, modifiers, channels, scenes, and presets etc, I do miss turning dedicated knobs which can lead to unpredictable and surprising results.

I asked this before but is anyone using a physical knob controller surface as a kind of "performance tab" tied to fixed block parameters like this?

You can turn knobs on the Axe FX effects blocks though. It might not be real tactile knobs, but using a mouse in Axe Edit is a sort of knob too. And I don't see much difference in using a mouse in changing parameters between strumming a guitar and bending down on one knee to twist an actual pedal knob between strumming a guitar. It might even be more comfortable as I don't have to bend down on one knee but can sit comfortably in my chair as I operate my mouse.

But I get your point. Turning dedicated knobs feels like it leads to more experimentation though.

I feel like having a limited number of possible knobs helps navigate the tone landscape as well. More than once I've dialed in a great tone using my amp and pedalboard, and then replicated it successfully in my AxeFX3. With AxeFX it's all wide open - hundreds and hundreds of amps, effects, cabs, etc, each with a lot more knobs than the actual physical equivalent. I'm glad the flexibility is there, but the fact is, it can be daunting, and often is.

Back
Top Bottom