Struggling with the Mesa MkIIc models...

Thanks for everyone's tips here. I've dialed in a IIC+ preset that I'm really diggin'! I'd share, but it's made for a Matrix/real 2x12 cab with V30s rig. And, it's nothing special... just followed the tips provided here. :mrgreen Many thanks!

I really suggest trying the USA LEAD 1 or 2 for those tones... the IIC+ models have always been a worse version of those for me at least. Scoop -3,5dB at 750hz with a PEQ to simulate the graphic EQ that the real amps have... immediately some cool tones there.

Thanks for that, it seems to really tighten up the sound. I'd never paid attention to any of the mark series amps before. I heard everyone getting really nice lead tones out of the Mark 4, but when I tried it just seemed too low gain. I never thought to turn up the amp trim because I generally stay away from the advanced settings.
I'm still not getting that Dream Theater rhythm tone out of the MKiic but this has helped a lot.

That did the trick :) It sounds pretty disgusting without the PEQ actually.

Well, marks sound pretty bad without the PEQ, that's why the models without it sell for way cheaper. Mesa got the clue and there isn't any EQless Mark IV or V, but up to mark III they made some without EQ.

The good thing about it is that youjust have to alter the PEQ *a bit* to get radically different tones without touching anything else.
For the clip I made above I used a 808 in front and the input trim isn't any higher than 2.5 if I remember well. sounded better to my ears than no pedal and cranking the input trim.
I'll try to come with a more modern tone with it when I have some time. Lowering the bass alone on the PEQ might do the trick.

For rhythm tones, IMO, the EQ is essential. For leads, not so much since you want those mids.

I prefer it on for leads, but I am sat at home in my bedroom. I suspect if I tried this tone at band practice I'd be lost.

I use no eq no my lead sounds. Works perfect for me :)

Try adding the 2x12 top boost blue cab with a 4x12 cab to taste. And add a little Air to get the top end right. I take away some top end in the eq and add some with the air parameter in the cab block.

also, boogies are notorious for being flubby in the pre gain stage with the bass KNOB on anything over 2-3. Keep that low and make up the low end in the graphic eq later. also try to keep the presence lower as well. I use the II and usa lead models as my main amps in the axe and my tones are fantastic. I'm coming from a Triaxis so I've spent a lot of time really learning how to dial in boogies. Good luck.

What he said. Mark series amp with bass in the eq above 3 will flub out. That is how the real amp behaves, that is how the Axe FX behaves

The Recto amps don't need the GEQ like the MK amps did. This is due to the location of the tonestack in the preamp circuit. MK's had it before the gain stage and Recto's had it after.

Try this, switch the IIC+'s tonestack location to Post. You'll have to compensate the volume since this causes insertion loss and therefor a large volume drop. For quick A/B teeth you can copy your amp parameters from X to Y (or vise versa) and then just set one for pre and the other for post and then use X and Y to do your A/B (X-Y) testing.

You still get that MK crunch and, but a bit more scooped sounding.

I wonder how many Rectos Mesa would sell nowadays if they slapped a Mark series 5-band eq on them.

Yeah like shotgunn said it's not the same thing. Roadking has 12 different modes which will give you any tone imaginable. I'm pretty sure that Recto series sell more than Mark series. :)

Back
Top Bottom