Struggling with the Mesa MkIIc models...

Hello all,

I took delivery of a brand new Axe-FX II yesterday and have had a few hours with the unit so far. I also have a Kemper.

So far, I'm impressed. I wasn't immediately blown away like I was with the Kemper, but I realise that this isn't a plug 'n play device. The Marshall tones are incredibly impressive. I am monitoring through a pair of Behringer Truth 2031a active monitors. The effects are incredible.

I'm struggling with the MkIIc models, particularly for rhythm tones. The tone just seems flubby and thin on both models, no matter what I do with the EQ, MV and drive controls. There are some profiles of this amp in the Kemper that knock my socks off, so I'd love to be able to replicate those. I want to be able to sell the Kemper, as I cannot justify keeping both (and the Kemper has crapped out on me twice). Any advice?

I'm running firmware 9.01.

I'm eager for the new Axe-Edit, although I'd much rather wait as long as it takes for FAS to get it right before release. Editing the advanced parameters using the front panel is quite easy, but a bit tiresome.

Thanks for reading :)

Boogies are unbelievable versatile amps but can be tough to dial in if you are new to them. People use a lot of different cabinets and speakers with Boogies, do you know what cab was used in the profile? You can Tone Match those profiles with the Axe if you like, which profiles are they? Give all the USA Clean/Rhythm/Lead models a try (Mark IIC+, Mark IV and Triaxis).

Try turning up the Input Trim on the Advanced page of the Amp block.

If you want a tighter sound try the Mark IV models. Also look on AxeChange for Mark IV and Mark V Tone Matches.

Check the wiki for info on the different models
AMP (block): list - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure most people used a drive pedal in front of the amp on the mark II models. You could do that on the axe or turn up the Input Gain in the amp advanced tab.

I turn up to 5 or so on every Mark model and it sounds right to me.

also, boogies are notorious for being flubby in the pre gain stage with the bass KNOB on anything over 2-3. Keep that low and make up the low end in the graphic eq later. also try to keep the presence lower as well. I use the II and usa lead models as my main amps in the axe and my tones are fantastic. I'm coming from a Triaxis so I've spent a lot of time really learning how to dial in boogies. Good luck.

Fir all Mesa mark models you have to learn how to dial them in. Download a model from mesa boogie webpage or follow the basic instructions which means as the gain goes up the bass has to go down. A normal preamp bass setting for a mess mark model is bass at 2.Otherwise you will experience flubcity. Try bass at 2, middle at 3.5 treble at 6.5 prescence at 6 drive at 7 master at 3-4. Prescence also effects the feel. Lower value more compressed and dull and higher value more dynamic and "open" Now, to be able to get a big sound you have to use the graphic eq. Either from the amp block or from a graphic eq block after the amp block. And you will make a traditional V-shape(smiley face). Try the cab sugestions in the wikipage mentioned in the post above.
Good luck! Welcome and hang on. Its an amazing black box. I had a mesa mark v before and I have had my axe for 2 months. I haven't looked back but there us a learning phase and it ain't over yet for a long time.
Bye.

Bass 3
Mid 0
Treb 8,5
Pres. 0

Also try the depht control at 4.5 or something since the boogies
have less feedback in the Low frequenzys.

The rest with graphic eq.

Hello all,

I took delivery of a brand new Axe-FX II yesterday and have had a few hours with the unit so far. I also have a Kemper.

So far, I'm impressed. I wasn't immediately blown away like I was with the Kemper, but I realise that this isn't a plug 'n play device. The Marshall tones are incredibly impressive. I am monitoring through a pair of Behringer Truth 2031a active monitors. The effects are incredible.

I'm struggling with the MkIIc models, particularly for rhythm tones. The tone just seems flubby and thin on both models, no matter what I do with the EQ, MV and drive controls. There are some profiles of this amp in the Kemper that knock my socks off, so I'd love to be able to replicate those. I want to be able to sell the Kemper, as I cannot justify keeping both (and the Kemper has crapped out on me twice). Any advice?

I'm running firmware 9.01.

I'm eager for the new Axe-Edit, although I'd much rather wait as long as it takes for FAS to get it right before release. Editing the advanced parameters using the front panel is quite easy, but a bit tiresome.

Thanks for reading :)

I always use a PEQ after mesa Mark series otherwise it's impossible to replicate mark sounds.
My favourite sim is USA Lead2+ (+PEQ) !

OH recto 4X12 + Cali 4X12 with the R121 in front of it goes a long way in getting that "mesa" sound
tubescreamer in front helps tighen it up a lot.
there are a few really good MarkIIC+ patches on the exchange

Last edited:
Bass 3
Mid 0
Treb 8,5
Pres. 0

Also try the depht control at 4.5 or something since the boogies
have less feedback in the Low frequenzys.

The rest with graphic eq.

I am fortunate enough to own both a Boogie Mark V & an Axe-FX II. I can get very very very close to the Mark V in IIC+ mode with no drive pedal before and no EQ after the Axe-FX Mark IIC+ model.

However, my settings are a little different from Thomas' as I don't like that 'deep V' sound so much: but I'm at work at the moment so I can't tell you what they are (I just know mid is not on 0 - maybe 4). Maybe that's not a lot of help...

FWIW, my guitar is mahogany with rosewood neck but the pickups are 'vintage style' so I have to lose a bit of the top-end for lead work otherwise it takes my head off.

Take-away: persevere and you can get fab IIC+ sounds from the Axe-FX IMO. Good luck!

Cheers

Sean Ashe posted a nice sounding MK II Tone Match patch on the AxeChange. Maybe grab that and see how it works for you.

kplooksafterme, let me know how you like this clip of the Lead IIC+ Bright model. I recorded it a few months ago just as a tone test to see how my main IIc+ patch sounded recorded direct (the patch was dialed in with my studio monitors). Ignore the horrid playing. I wasn't warmed up and just played random crap that came into my head, never intending for anyone to hear it. There's rhythm & lead playing, plus a running commentary in the pop-up comments by yours truly on how bad my playing is . :mrgreen

This was done with firmware 7.0, and the patch has gone through a couple of complete overhauls since then, but it still isn't too far off from what it still basically sounds like:

https://soundcloud.com/shredi-knight/axe-fx-ii-mark-iic-sim-test

For tight rhythm tone (I.e. rock/metal)- this is pretty bright, so cut highs in cab block to darken if too bright

Dr-6.5
B-3
M-6.0 w/ fat switch
T-8.5 w/ Brt switch
Depth-3.0
Pres-6.0
MV-3.0-3.5
GEQ [amp block]-variation of "V": 125Hz is high-point on low end, instead of 50Hz, and 2k is high-point on high-end.
Sag- 2.0
Pick attack-20%
Input trim-2.6
Damping- add a pinch

Cab- 4x12 Cali or German (or German boutique)
- Mic-none
- low cut(cab)- 100Hz
- Motor Drive- 2.5

Rev- med room, time- 1.5, mix- 20%-ish

The real Mark II's had Bright, Shift/Fat and Boost switches which are very important to getting a specific Boogie tone. The accuracy of these switches and the Drive, Treble, Mid, Bass, Master and Presence is unbelievably accurate in the Axe. If there's a Boogie player you like then look on the Internet and see if you can find their settings, then start with those on the Axe (treat the Input Trim as the first Volume already set at 5) As many have said,

Saturation and Input Trim help get closer to certain cascading gain sounds on Boogies - before the Mark V the Mark's had Volume and Gain on the lead channel. Depth really helps get the low end while keeping the Bass control low to avoid flub.

Thanks for the excellent replies. What a great forum.

I've tried some of the suggestions. The Kemper is going up for sale when it is fixed. I have gotten better tones with some of these suggestions than I have in the Kemper. Stunning rhythm tones.

I can't wait for Axe-Edit, so I can really get into this thing.

The key to any Boogie tone is understanding the way EQ is done in those amps. Most high-gain amps have the tone stack at the end of the preamp. Boogies have the tone stack at the beginning. So the trick is to use the tone stack to get the feel, dial out the flub, etc. and then do the final sculpting with graphic or parametric EQ.

I'm pretty sure most people used a drive pedal in front of the amp on the mark II models. You could do that on the axe or turn up the Input Gain in the amp advanced tab.

I turn up to 5 or so on every Mark model and it sounds right to me.

This is probably most likely the issue the OP has with this model. Being new to the AXE2 you might miss the Input Trim option which is extremely important with this model.

Like Katsu Kuri said....Input Trim way up, in the advanced tab amp page. I used to have it at 2.5 but Im going to try 5 now :) should be cool

Back
Top Bottom