Struggling with Strat tones

JasonB5232

Inspired
Fair warning, I've had the Axe about a month now so still new. And just when I think I've got it figured out I don't.

I'm been able to get some nice tones with my PRS and Telecaster, but I'm really struggling with something I like for my Strat. At this point, I'm wondering if it's perceived volume as the output on the pickups is so much lower. Or have I just realized I really don't like the sound of these pickups. Or is it ear fatigue, as I thought I had a couple decent tone and now listening back I'm wondering what I was thinking.

Looking for any of your 'go to' amp/cab models you use with a SSS Strat (I'm not a high gain guy). Thanks in advance.

I’m running these FRFR through studio monitors.

Last edited:
What I noticed is that Cygnus really makes the sound of the pickups stand out. All of them are more high-fidelity, especially the single-coils.

At the same time, I think it’s important to check the sound of the preset at a full stage volume, something that’s mentioned many places. That’s going to fatten the sound of the guitar and pickups because of the acoustic feedback. I’ve noticed the same thing with my tube amps, the guitar and pickups, are an entirely different beast when I have the amp loud.

I had my PRS 509 out last night. It’s got a very clean Strat sound when I have the volume turned down, but through my ToneKing Imperial with the lead channel and guitar on 10, it’s a very different sound. So, it’s not the modeler, it’s the acoustics and volume.

PS - A while back I had the same guitar out with my FM3 and monitors. Turned down the guitar was crisp and clean through my preset that mimics the Imperial amp, very high-fidelity, just like I’d expect listening to a miked amp. When I’d turn it up from the guitar’s volume, it got very fat, from pushing the amp block harder, and, again, from the acoustic coupling.

So, turn the system up and compare it.

Last edited:
Nuclear Tone, Deluxe Verb Normal, AC-20 EF86 Treble, any of the Plexi 50W and the FAS Buttery all sound great with a strat with the Input Drive at 5.00. Try them with the WGS Retro 30 IR mixed with the Nuclear Tone Mix and the AC-20 Deluxe Mix. You may need to reduce the Bright Switch Cap value or just turn it off. Add some Output Compression @1.50 - Feedback type, in the Dynamics page.

Free WGS Retro 30 IR link: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wgs-retro-30-free-ir.128249/#post-1523673Try turning off the Bright Switch or reducing the Cap value.

Fair warning, I've had the Axe about a month now so still new. And just when I think I've got it figured out I don't.

I'm been able to get some nice tones with my PRS and Telecaster, but I'm really struggling with something I like for my Strat. At this point, I'm wondering if it's perceived volume as the output on the pickups is so much lower. Or have I just realized I really don't like the sound of these pickups. Or is it ear fatigue, as I thought I had a couple decent tone and now listening back I'm wondering what I was thinking.

Looking for any of your 'go to' amp/cab models you use with a SSS Strat (I'm not a high gain guy). Thanks in advance.

I’m running these FRFR through studio monitors.
I like the Clean ODS :
Drive : 6
Input trim : 2
Bass : 3

The rest, flat.

with these cabs:

Legacy 106
Legacy 167
Factory 2: 842 + 848

It's cool for the John Mayer type strat-tone.... not necessarily a Hendrix/SRV-ish tone though unless you hit the bright switch or something

Check out the ODS 100 with drive and master at 6 and Bass 4.5 Middle 5.5 Treble 6
Also try the prince tone and vibroverb etc...
But most of all be patient....i have started nailing my strat tone after nearly 2 years...and i only play strats..

All great suggestions here!

Marco Fanton's presets have almost all been made for/with SC pickups... and IMHO sound incredible with a Strat!

Some of them can also be found for free on the G66.eu

You can use the crunch tone settings of a humbucker equipped guitar as the clean tone on a strat, particularly for lead lines.

I find the pick ups make a big difference. Currently I have Ron Ellis pu in a custom stype. So much better string separation and clarity than my PRS with 57/08’s

Fenders and plexis …

59 bassman
Vibrolux
Dv
Plexi jumped
And the AC20

@iaresee nailed it - the AC-20 preset(and most of what you can do with that amp) sounds amazing with single coils.

I'm a big fan of single coils into the Jam Ray(Vemuram Jan Ray) pedal into the Deluxe Reverb with the Room Level control(the Room/Air tab in the Cab block) around 60% and some Medium Spring reverb with the mix low around 15%.

You could also try the Pete Thorn trick of rolling the volume on your guitar back to like 5 or 6 and turning the amp up to compensate which usually gives you a fatter clean sound than diming the guitar into an amp.

Last edited:
Nuclear Tone, Deluxe Verb Normal, AC-20 EF86 Treble, any of the Plexi 50W and the FAS Buttery all sound great with a strat with the Input Drive at 5.00. Try them with the WGS Retro 30 IR mixed with the Nuclear Tone Mix and the AC-20 Deluxe Mix. You may need to reduce the Bright Switch Cap value or just turn it off. Add some Output Compression @1.50 - Feedback type, in the Dynamics page.

Free WGS Retro 30 IR link: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wgs-retro-30-free-ir.128249/#post-1523673Try turning off the Bright Switch or reducing the Cap value.
This is all really good advice- the Swart and the Morgan sound great with Strats.

I've also used the Carol Anns with Strats, particularly the Tucana. Something about the midrange seems to sit well with them. With my old Strat, I used a Tucana preset with the mids and master up a bit higher than I normally would have otherwise. Then I realized that I'm probably just not a Strat player. I always sound better with thicker pickups, tbh. I love Strats when others play them, but I just can't seem to make them do what I want. C'est la vie.

Back
Top Bottom