Struggling with recording shift/latency in DAW

Poparad

Power User
I've been having an issue with recording with my AxeFX II in my DAW. I'm currently on Pro Tools 12 on Windows 10, but I've had the same issue with PT 11 and Windows 7. When I either use the Axe as an interface or recording through another interface using SPDIF, I will randomly get a shift in my recorded tracks, and usually a substantial one. Sometimes it works just fine, but a lot of the time I'll get a delay from 1,000 to 8,000 samples (up to an almost 20ms delay). Sometimes, within the same session, I'll record one part and it'll have one amount of delay, and using the same patch and everything, it'll be a different delay or no delay at all on another part of the tune.

So far I've been bouncing the click through the Axe and through a bus and comparing the offset and manually shifting my takes, but it's a pain in the ass. The session itself may or may not have any delay compensation enabled. I've had issues with no plugins running an 0 delay compensation, and I've had things line up correctly with tons of delay comp.

At first I thought it was a buffer issue when I was using my Axe as an interface, but it's still an issue using SPDIF. My last option would be to go analog in, but then I won't get the benefit of consistent levels between takes and sessions. This is very important, as I like to reamp things frequently to make parts fit in the mix better as the mix evolves, and I need a faithful dry signal in addition to the wet.

My other interfaces are a Tascam US1800 and an MAudio Fastrack, by the way. Also, the first year I had my Axe II, I was running PT 10 on Windows 7 and never once had shifting audio issues with it. Recorded a whole album without any problems. I'm just at a loss as to where the problem lies and how to fix it.

Hey @Semih Yanyali - Thanks for the tip. I think I found it. I'll try it when I get home tonight:
Page 32 in the Studio One Manual:
Record Offset allows you to input a value, in samples, by which any recorded audio should be offset in the
arrangement, thereby compensating for device/driver latency.

Hey @Semih Yanyali - Thanks for the tip. I think I found it. I'll try it when I get home tonight:
Page 32 in the Studio One Manual:
Record Offset allows you to input a value, in samples, by which any recorded audio should be offset in the
arrangement, thereby compensating for device/driver latency.
welcome man....still a bit too old fashioned if it doesnt calculate the latency and fix it automaticaly....even i think protools caught cubase, ableton etc on this after years:)

Back
Top Bottom