FM3 Struggling with making music...help!

vejichan

Inspired
Trying to get back into recording my own music.

This was the last song i wrote and made. I mixed , recorded and produced this song. Made this song during the lockdown when i actually had time to play guitar. Anyway this was my 1st attempt in recording and making music. I dont know any theory and could barely play guitar. Any advise on

- song writing

- composition

-guitar playing

All i did on this song was hit record and play. I just made it all up.

Listen to Paradise Is Lost RD15 by David Cho 2 on #SoundCloud

Thank you for your time

I agree that it takes practice.

For me, I've sort of "trained" myself to recognize when something I play has potential. Could be a riff, chord change, melody, interesting chord voicing, etc.

When I hear something that the triggers that sense, I immediately start to "work" it - play around and try different things and get a feel for where it is leading or where my ears want it to go.

Depending on how much time I have, I will do that for a while and ultimately record what I have on Voice Memo on my phone. That way I can jump start it when I have time to come back to it.

Wow, that sounds really good! I'm a beginner guitar player so can't give any advice but I'd be really proud of myself if I came up with what you shared. Great job!

Somehow I missed this post. First, if I read everything correctly and you played, recorded and mixed everything yourself then you’re in a pretty great starting place. It sounds very good.

I’m almost 58 and have been lacking any real inspiration lately, or more precisely everything I come up with reminds me of something I’ve already done or derivative of someone else. So just recently I decided to lean into that and take old recordings, themes and ideas and redo them with all the latest gear and higher quality recording setup I have now. I’m talking about stuff I came up with almost 25 years ago. For instance much of it could be improved with the higher quality sampled drum technology I have today. Also, I had alternate variations of some songs. Maybe explore that. It might end up being a dead end. I’ll have to be cognizant of that. I decided it’s better than doing nothing and getting depressed. Maybe it will spark something fresh.

You’re already good bit ahead of me with skill so keep in mind it’s all relative and don’t get too “up in your head”. As mentioned and something I have always been lazy about and that’s record everything you do when just messing around or jamming. Then sift through it and if something grabs you work with it. Nothing is worse than having a good idea and it slips away it before you can record it.

I’m on a gear forum that has a weekly challenge of writing, playing, recording, engineer, produce a comp. in 6 days. Rinse, repeat.

It’s great ‘cuz of the time limit. A positive constraint imo. Just get it done.

Can’t be perfect… lol

Just completed this week on Friday.

YouTube is full of videos on how to use the tools. There are some great master classes out there on mixing and mastering.

I don’t utilize these as much, but I have seen videos on how to build your composition chops. (I have a distinct process that in Includes getting the drums down, getting the rhythm tracks down, then the bass and then tracking leads/developing the hook. I am composing the entire time.)

Last edited:
Trying to get back into recording my own music.

This was the last song i wrote and made. I mixed , recorded and produced this song. Made this song during the lockdown when i actually had time to play guitar. Anyway this was my 1st attempt in recording and making music. I dont know any theory and could barely play guitar. Any advise on

- song writing

- composition

-guitar playing

All i did on this song was hit record and play. I just made it all up.

Listen to Paradise Is Lost RD15 by David Cho 2 on #SoundCloud

Thank you for your time

I think is really good. For only instrumental music it is hard to be authentic. Listen these two groups : Borealis and Seventh Wonder. The instrumentals are colossal but without vocal is hard to create albums.

Back
Top Bottom