Stroll Down Guitar Processing Memory Lane

DaveO

Fractal Fanatic
OK so I'm now in the FAS world with my new AX8 and happy as can b, its a very granular editable peddle so granular that I'm reflecting on all of my past units and how the science has come to mature,
Here is my GP history...
*Rolland GP-8
*Rolland GR-700 w/GK2
*Zoom 9030
*DigiTech GNX-3
*Korg PX5D
*DigiTech RP1000
*Zoom 99.2tt
*Zoom G5 Stomp box

Feel free to to post your's, one of my all time fav was the Zoom 9030 it was a work horse got me through s-loads of gigs in the 80's...
Merry Christmas!

OK so I'm now in the FAS world with my new AX8 and happy as can b, its a very granular editable peddle so granular that I'm reflecting on all of my past units and how the science has come to mature,
Here is my GP history...
*Rolland GP-8
*Rolland GR-700 w/GK2
*Zoom 9030
*DigiTech GNX-3
*Korg PX5D
*DigiTech RP1000
*Zoom 99.2tt
*Zoom G5 Stomp box

Feel free to to post your's, one of my all time fav was the Zoom 9030 it was a work horse got me through s-loads of gigs in the 80's...
Merry Christmas!

I started with a Zoom 9000 which was an incredible Rockman like device and cost about a 1000 bucks back then. Moved through the 90s using a rack full of crap (except the Engl preamp) until it got replaced by a Boss GT8. Next stop AX8

Cool CTP my 9030 was way cheaper than that (small budget) but the development at zoom back then was really good, Im sure those people are long gone based other newer products..
Cheers DaveO

Always saw ZOOM as low budget material but these 9030/9150 must have been really good stuff for it's time.

I recall an ART SGX 2000 w/X-15 pedal, then a couple of L6 amps w/effects, finally an Ultra in '09.

I've been living FASt ever since. :cool:

Last edited:
Always saw ZOOM as low budget material but these 9030/9150 must have been really good stuff for it's time.

Hi Lauke sound quality is in the ear of the beholder but for me my 9030 was the bomb, at that time there was very little it couldn't do except for some mainstream sticks like Peter Frampton or EVH but classic R&R was covered...it really was the AX8 of its time the other Z units may have been better like CTP posted and shelled out serious cash for the 9000 so God Bless! its just to dam bad us guitarist can't get a foot in the door on these m-GP-Scientists to influence things...
Happy Holidays
DaveO

Hi Lauke sound quality is in the ear of the beholder but for me my 9030 was the bomb, at that time there was very little it couldn't do except for some mainstream sticks like Peter Frampton or EVH but classic R&R was covered...it really was the AX8 of its time the other Z units may have been better like CTP posted and shelled out serious cash for the 9000 so God Bless! its just to dam bad us guitarist can't get a foot in the door on these m-GP-Scientists to influence things...
Happy Holidays
DaveO
Same with Digitech Artist, when mine needed replacement nothing was there to replace it until FAS came up with the ULTRA. No idea why they left the market, guess the Artist did bring in some bucks for the company ? Sounds like some finance guys took over the company and did some "lean producing" operations ? Don't know, but howbeit, FAS is there now and not ready to change anything to that.

Years ago, I used an ART SGX2000 Express with an X15 pedal. That was one I tried that had some feel to it. All the Line 6, Zoom, and others sounded like shit. Last year I decided to try the AX8 after being a vintage tube amp junkie for many years. I still own many great tube amps. The setup of my AX8 and the RCF monitor has been a game changer for me! Not sure I will go back!

I used something I think was called a Rackman at one point, which was a rack type holder for the Scholz Rockman. Next processor, like @Akstrat and @ScottyB was the ART SGX2000 with the X15 pedal (actually recorded with that one), tried the Roland GR33 with GK2 for a bit but never got very good with it. I was playing tube amps, mostly Mesa/Boogie, throughout that time. The FX units always put me back to just using the amp and a couple of stomp boxes... the sound wasn't there. You had to combine it with a good tube amp to get by. Next tried a Line6 POD, which was a fun practice tool, but that's it.

The first standalone to the PA solution I used (no amp involved) to actually play for pay was the Eleven Rack. I give credit to this unit for convincing me that digital could be good enough to use by itself, guitar to audience. Well conceived, well executed, and sounded good. Inspirational guitarists like Dann Huff were using it. Amazing. The Axe Fx was available by then, but I wouldn't have spent that kind of money for what I, at that moment, equated to a fancy rack POD. Boy, was I wrong! Having that success with the Eleven Rack inspired springing for my first Axe Fx, an Ultra, in 2011. Fast forward to now, and FAS is still the pinnacle of modeling, and I have since purchased three more units (progressively the II, XL+, AX8) and the last two are my main gigging units today.

All that said, I also just purchased a Mesa Road King II combo last week. Made a great deal with a nice guy, and I still love the sound of a good tube amp. I'd gig it tomorrow if the spirit moves me. You can bet, however, that even if I do there will be an Axe Fx in the line. Fractal Audio has forever changed the way I look at what you can get from an "FX box." I don't think of playing without thinking of shaping my tones with the Axe Fx. It's that superior.

Edit: I thought I should add, in light of some of the other posts, that I did have several rack preamps in between all that. A Pearce G1 that was pretty good for all solid state, a Mesa Studio, Mesa Quad Pre (this kicked ass with a Mesa 295 tube power amp into two thiele cabs), a Triaxis, a Soldano X88, and a Soldano X99. At one point I had the X99 and a huge purple Soldano stereo power amp that is probably worth a zillion dollars today. I have spent way too much money over the years. :)

Last edited:
Boss GT-6
Boss GT-Pro
Boss GT-8
Boss GT-10
Roland GR-55 and I converted to FRFR speakers
Boss GP-10
Boss GT-100
Boss GT-001

and of course...

FAS AX8

Memory lane for sure. My intro to digital was a Rocktron Chameleon paired with a ADA Microtube 200. It was the shiznit at the time and played the hell out of it until a skiing accident folded my wrist flat against my arm. Wasn't broken but - game over -

When started playing again several years later Line6 Pod XT Live had just been released and damn that was sick in comparison.

Said the same about the Ultra when got it.

Sounds silly now but hated the AxeFX II initially. Shipped with FW3 and didn't really start to bond with it until FW6 or so - sure it was my digital ears adjusting. Thinking about it, amazing how II has transformed recently from a killer unit around FW17 to a stupidly unbelievable unit with Quantum... floors me every time I turn it on.

Boss ME-5 was the first. I really liked that... Used an expression pedal for solo volume boost.

Later, ART SGX-2000 and X-15 (seems to be a theme going in this thread). That was my intro to midi and controlling parameters. I did preset "morphing" way back in the day to get by the audio gap from preset switching.

I then used the Johnson JM150... Really liked that thing! Loud as could bee and good combo of amps and effects.

I got the Johnson J-Station to use with the PA but never got a result that was usable.

After that, I got a great deal on a Carvin Quad-X and my foray into the world of tubes began...

hhhmm have to think a bit.. will include real amps too, probably miss some.

Some old Peavey Pa head my dad had with a distortion pedal.
JCM800 half stack.
Roland GP8
ART SGE something or other.
Ampeg ss140c
Laney 50 watt head.
Boogie Studio pre.
Boogie Quad Pre (Eventide h3000se)
Triaxis (Lexicon lxp15, then tc gmajor).
Line 6 Vetta HD
Fractal Audio AxeFX Ultra
Fractal Audio AxeFX II

My journey...

This was my hope way back when I purchased the following equipment,
Roland GP100 w/ FC-200
Roland VG-8
Roland VG-88
(Never liked the Line 6 tones)
Hughes & Kettner Zentera.

None of these satisfied me. I gigged with the ZenTera for about 8 years.
I eventually sold it and went back to tube amps & TC effects.

Then came Fractal and the whole world changed! BOOM!!!
I have had the Axe-Fx II XL+ with the MFC-101 EV-1 for 2 years and absolutely love it.
Now have the AX8 too!

Pod 1.0
Pod 2.0
Pod XT
Pod HD300
Pod HD500
Flextone I
Flextone II
Flextone III
Alesia Quadraverb GT
Some Digitech thing
Art SGX2000 Express (twice)
Boss GT-8
Eleven Rack
Does a TC Electronics Nova System count?
Some Zoom thing
Another one I can't recall, but it had a "Jeff Beck" preset that I dug at the time
Axe-FX Standard
Axe-FX Ultra
Axe-FX II
Ax-8 (now, and love it)

I'm positive I'm forgetting something. :-D

Back in like '02 my friend had a Rocktron rack unit that I remember being impressed by... but I wasn't the tone snob I am now.

Back
Top Bottom