Stripping the nitro finish off the back off a brand new Gibson Les Paul

I think its called sanding. 😁

Seriously, wet sanding with grit 600 or higher will do the trick. Just go slowly so you don't hit the paint layers. And wear a mask when reapplying new nitro. It's very unhealthy stuff. Which is another reason why they should stop using this crappy finish.

Nah,....jes kiddin! :smile:
If you decide to just try to repair the nitro crack rather than something more involved ...

I once used a StewMac ColorTone Touch-Up Marker to smooth-out a tiny indentation on a Gibson Les Paul R9. Several coats until the area of the indentation was filled and slightly raised,, followed by MicroMesh to smooth it down, then a bit of polishing. But that was a much smaller area than what you want to repair. And, maybe I just got lucky - I'm not experienced in this kind of repair.

Anyhow ...

This might be something to look into since it's low-cost, doesn't require spraying nitro, and if it doesn't work out you'd just try plan A (sanding and spraying).

I'll leave it to the experts on the forum to weigh-in on this idea.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-too...-ixIeQzLf-F1qlaEuWYdaN2E7FfJRpZBoCYtEQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
A word of caution:
Nitrocellulose lacquer melts into itself, making it ideal for nearly invisible touchups on lacquer finishes. But that also means there is potential to disturb or damage the existing finish. Experiment with the markers on scrap wood to get a feel for their flow and application before attempting a repair on your guitar.

Always experiment first. And don't mix your paint types.

Back
Top Bottom