Strings

lauke-lux

Fractal Fanatic
Changed strings today, was at least 3 months ago as I had some job travelling the last quarter, and decided to pull up a Dean Markley Blue Steel 011-052 set I had laying in a drawer for more than a year. Bought it just for a try but then never ever touched them. Since 10 years I use cheapo Darco 011-049 strings that I buy per twelve-pack that will take me round the year without ruining myself. Holy Shit, as generally sound is awfully metallic the first 30 minutes with my cheao strings, now there were coming "balls" out of my axe right at the first second. oufff..

I don't believe one second in this "cryogenic activated" thing, but seriously consider leaving my cheapo Darco strings for some better type, D'Adario XL for example...any other opinions welcome (still 4 sets to go...but OK, that's life)

I use D'Addario XL - no complaints
thumbsup.gif

I've used D'Addario's for 3 decades+. I've tried others over the years, but I've never found any that sounded as good as they do.

XL110's on my Fenders. EXL 148's on my drop tuned sixxers, EXL120-7's on my 7 stringers.

Tried EB Super Slinky's in my early days. They seem to die really quickly. Also jumped on the EVH "boiled strings" band wagon for a few weeks back in the 80's. That was silly.

Out of the pack the D'Addario's give me the tone and dependability I want out of strings.

All my electrics get strung with D'Addario XL... 9's, 10's or 12's depending on the guit & setup.
Taylor acoustics are strung with Elixir Nanoweb 12's
Martin & Guild acoustics D'Addario Phos Bronze 12's.

Buy in bulk. Save $.

D'Addario XL user here, but I'll pass on a tip. I've been cleaning/polishing my strings for about a year now with Caig DeOxit (which I've alway had around for switch, jack, plug and potentiometer cleaning since discovering it while working at Pacific Stereo in the 70's ((how old am I?)). Anyway, I wrap a microfiber towel (doesn't have to be microfiber) around the string a little bit, spray a little DeOxit in the fold, hold it tightly and run it up and down the string until the string doesn't squeak anymore, then I know it's clean. When I do decide to restring (months, instead of weeks), I pull the new string through a DeOxit dampened cloth for the full length. I haven't seen any deleterious effect on the neck (there's usually a little spatter) or on the guitar finish, but if I owned some of the gems I've seen on here, I'd be more cautious. Only downside is sometimes you have to pluck little pieces of towel fuzz off the strings. Even if you don't clean your strings with it, you want some DeOxit around.

I set the intonation on my buddy's strat up one day. Less than a week later I went back to work on the guitar again and the intonation was off. I wiped the strings down good with a dry rag. Perfect intonation. Moral of the story: clean your strings! And, Everything effects Everything on a guitar.

I generally lean towards the Blue Steels, but am perfectly happy with D'addarios too. Actually I am pretty slack about changing strings. I don't often break them, and I don't seem to have very acidic sweat or body oils. Some times I think "It has been months. I should really change these strings". Then I look at them, and play them... And they are fine. If I was gigging at the moment it would be different.

Also... Silk and steel for the acoustic :)

To my experience after 8 hours of playing the sound of strings doesn't alter that much anymore, over 2-3 months sound get's a bit dull depending on the season and the "playing time duration". It's very noticable on acoustic sim patches. The reason for changing strings to me : new strings are easier to tune and better stay in tune, comfort and ease of playing, more med highs (not dull). Also, over 3 months, I occasionally have some intonation problems with too old strings. I guess I'll go for D'addario which is the brand I used for 16 years until switching to Darco in 2003. On my acoustics I use Martin Phosphor Bronze for over 27 years now...no problem ever.

To tell the honest truth, I personally can't perceive much, if any, difference between string brands.
They always sound and feel better when fresh!
So every new set is better...
Having said that, I did once have a set of cheap as strings that just corroded and f*#ed out within days...so there can be issues with longevity.
But I always buy decent sets like Blue Steels, Rotosound, Slinky's...etc.
And all seem pretty good to me

One question I would like to ask people with maple fretboards...

Is there any string that would help keep my beautiful maple fretboards cleaner??
I'm supposing some sort of Elixr or something????
Any recommendations?

I switch between EB Slinky and D'Addario. The Slinky does not last as long. I always clean the strings with a dry cloth after playing.

I use a split set of D'Addario XL. 9's on 1,2,3 and 11's on 4,5,6 This allows easier bending on the first 3 and better sounding power chords with the top 3.

Started using Dean Markley Helix Pure Nickel. They last a good long time - I usually change them due to wear, not breakage. Before that I used EB Rock n Roll pure nickel. As stated above, they don't last very long. In fact, my main axe uses locking tuners and I've had EBs break at the post after locking them down & tightening.

One question I would like to ask people with maple fretboards...

Is there any string that would help keep my beautiful maple fretboards cleaner??
I'm supposing some sort of Elixr or something????
Any recommendations?

Are you referring to an unfinished maple fretboard? If so, more important than strings is keeping your hands clean. I carry towlettes in my gig bag and give my hands a good wipedown before playing. Makes a big difference. EBMM wonder wipes with lemon oil are good to keep fretboard conditioned and clean between cleanings/string changes.

Also, if not using your own vocal mic, always a good idea make sure to clean it with alcohol swab before using. Especially during cold and flu season.

Back
Top Bottom