Strings you recommend?

zack

Inspired
Hi, I bought an EVH Striped last month that I absolutely loved.... the honeymoon ended when I came to change the strings.

I have been using Ernie Ball 009 - 042 for the past 25 years (!!) and never really given string choice much thought but these new strings changed the sound of this guitar so much I feel I want to do something about it and look for alternatives.

( basically the strings that came with it were quite meaty sounding - a nice even tone - the EB's are really brittle /squeaky/ bright.)

Does anybody have similar experiences and have good suggestions for alternatives - I presume the strings that originally came with the guitar were not expensive?

Cheers

Zack

PS I play mostly high gain metal / rock.

I'm pretty sure that guitar actually comes with the EVH signature strings on it. They should be available in most music stores. If not take a look on the EVH gear website (google it, I forget the link sorry) and check for dealers. I've used GHS boomers 9-42 for the last 5 years (d'addario and ernie balls prior to that) and thought it was a really good change.

You are correct!

EVH® Branded (.009-.042 Gauges) come with the guitar -

That was easy - thanks!

I've been trying to switch to D'Addario's for the last couple of years.
Simply because these are cheaper and easier to get. They seem to be
the "standard" goto strings as well. At least around these parts.

I have used the GHS Boomers prior. And somehow I still get the urge to go back to them.
Something about the feel of them. Can't really put my finger on it. (Pun intended.)

D'addario EXL115. When I started playing, I used 9's then 10's. Now I'm up to 11's, it feels odd using lower gauges. I play all sorts of stuff though - jazz, rock, country, blues. Great for everything, but some people hate the extra string tension - I feel the tone is better the thicker the gauge. To each his own.

I use Elixir Nanoweb Light / 0.10-0.46 on all of my guitars. I love the smooth feel and extra life you get from coated strings. The Elixir's Nanoweb coating is extremely light and does not affect the string's overall sound quality.

I've recently switched to D'Addario EXL110 (010-046) on all my standard tuned guitars (24.75" and 25.5"). Before that, I used Ernie Ball Regular Slinky (also 010-046), and I liked them because they were brittle, especially right after restringing. The reason for the switch was the price. With d'Addario, I could get a set of three for 12,90 € (= 4,30 € one set) as opposed to 5,50 € for one Ernie Ball set.
On my EBMM JP12 7-string, I generelly use D'Addario EXL110-7 (010-059) because of the 059 for the low B-string. Most of the other brands only offer 010-056 or 011-058.

Just to update from my original post, I picked up a couple of packets of the EVH branded strings today and slapped them on the EVH striped guitar...

They actually have quite an odd feel and appearance about them - as if they were not brand new - or more accurately: as if you'd lent your guitar to a mate with sweaty fingers to play for 5 mins - you know how it feels different when you take it back!

But that aside, the tone is back and the annoying brightnes/zinging/brittleness has gone.

So I'm happy!

I asked about this recently and got a plethora of varied responses. You might want to look that thread up.

I've been trying to switch to D'Addario's for the last couple of years.
Simply because these are cheaper and easier to get.

Not really. Chris Campbells (Sean Ashe's suggestion) I think are the same, and I like them way better. D's have been my 'goto' string, but I think that's over. Oh yeah, buy on ebay - stores suck.

Back
Top Bottom