Strings.... Quality down... what to do? (Advice please)

Hi budda,
I received 3 sets of the nyxls on Friday, but it’ll be a while before I put them on. The reason I made the original post was that I’d just changed the strings on my les Paul, and was struggling to find more genuine Gibson strings to replace them. I eventually was able to purchase a couple of sets, which I did, and they also arrived on Friday by coinkidink! So… when the string I just fitted get a bit dodgy or break, I’ll slap a set of the nyxls on, and post the results. Could be many weeks though as It seems I hardly play any more… going through a phase where other things are taking priority I think!

Thanks
Pauly

Has OP got his order? Lets see results!

Hi Budda,

Well I recently got a new Gretsch guitar which was delivered without being setup, so I fit my first set of nyxls to it. It’s been a few days now so thought I’d share my impressions. Keep in mind, I have no experience with this particular guitar so there’s no “before & after” comparison like there will be when I put them on my les Paul.
They seem a little “tighter” than the Gibson strings on my lp. I’m hoping that’s because of factors other than the strings. They sound good and feel good though and overall I’m pretty happy with them.
In a month or two, I’ll be able to comment on their consistency and longevity, and by then will also have put them on a lp. To me, that’s the big test because I can compare them on a guitar that’s always had Gibson strings on it, of identical gauges, so I know it well.

So, in short - all good so far!

Thanks
Pauly

Has OP got his order? Lets see results!

Hi Budda,

Well I recently got a new Gretsch guitar which was delivered without being setup, so I fit my first set of nyxls to it. It’s been a few days now so thought I’d share my impressions. Keep in mind, I have no experience with this particular guitar so there’s no “before & after” comparison like there will be when I put them on my les Paul.
They seem a little “tighter” than the Gibson strings on my lp. I’m hoping that’s because of factors other than the strings. They sound good and feel good though and overall I’m pretty happy with them.
In a month or two, I’ll be able to comment on their consistency and longevity, and by then will also have put them on a lp. To me, that’s the big test because I can compare them on a guitar that’s always had Gibson strings on it, of identical gauges, so I know it well.

So, in short - all good so far!

Thanks
Pauly
If your new Gretsch has a Bigsby or some type of trapeze tailpiece, the extra "tightness" you feel in the strings is due to the longer string length the Gretsch uses compared to your Gibson. I know that was the cases when I got my first Gretsch.

I usually buy NYXL’s but have also enjoyed Curt Mangan strings when I lived in Pennsylvania where my local shop evangelized them. Elixir nano web feel the slippiest but perhaps too much so and they are unjustifiably pricey.

Side note on guitar mfr brand strings - I have never liked Fender, Gibson or Ernie Ball strings. They always feel rough and uneven and never hold tune for very long even after properly pre-stressing them. They just keep on stretching out.

Nah no bigsby - I would have thought shorter = stiffer
Thanks
Pauly

If your new Gretsch has a Bigsby or some type of trapeze tailpiece, the extra "tightness" you feel in the strings is due to the longer string length the Gretsch uses compared to your Gibson. I know that was the cases when I got my first Gretsch.

I like the normal Daddario strings. Those or Ernie Balls.

I recently tried the Elixer coated strings. Turned out to be a waste of money. Don’t buy those.
I tried elixir strings a while back too, horrible tone. Nice idea but horrible sound.
Daddario seem to be the go to strings now although I'm mostly using Ernie ball at omens just because they sound good and reasonable price

I tried elixir strings a while back too

I could never get past the idea of “coated” strings. A friend tried and liked the Elixers way back when they first appeared. (He also happens to have particularly corrosive sweat or “skin juices” or whatever chemically causes his bridge chrome and guitar strings to tarnish fairly quickly. He’s the only person I’ve ever known for which this is a measurable phenomenon.) But I could not bring myself to buy and try strings that put a layer of stuff between my fingers and the metal of the strings.

I’ve never liked the idea of the huge 25 pack sets from D’Addario, just because they are not packaged in corrosion resistant packaging, like most of their strings. You get a great price per pack, so I guess it depends on the humidity where you are. It may work in a very dry place. But otherwise, I love D’Addario strings.

Hi Dave,
That’s probably too many for me. By the time I’ve used 25 sets it’ll be 5 years and they’ll be rusty from humidity. I’m no longer gigging, and don’t spend too much time playing any more. It’s just a hobby, and one thing that’ll make a hobby terrible is rusty strings! 😃😃
Thanks
Pauly

25 sets I think.

I think you were replying with basically the same thought I was, at the same time!

I’ve never liked the idea of the huge 25 pack sets from D’Addario, just because they are not packaged in corrosion resistant packaging, like most of their strings. You get a great price per pack, so I guess it depends on the humidity where you are. It may work in a very dry place. But otherwise, I love D’Addario strings.

That makes sense. I keep mine in a climate-controlled studio/guitar tech area with air conditioning, so I'd never though about that.

The box seems to be plastic-/wax-sealed or similar, and the "outlet" from which you pull the strings has a big rubber cover. I'm pretty sure even in a humid, non-air conditioned environment they'd keep well. But I'm just guessing.

I have so many guitars, and have gravitated toward guitars with 25" scale length (especially PRS and the new Harmony guitars), so it works out really well for me. But for 9-42 sets, I have them in individual packs, since I have fewer 25.5" scale length guitars than 25" scale length.

Back
Top Bottom