Strings - 9s tuned to Eb and setup

MojoBodies

Inspired
Any of you guys use 9 gauge strings and tune down half step? I have been doing it for a few years now with no issues. The reason for this post is I have been considering trying out a Plek on one of my guitars. The guy I was thinking of taking it told me they never recommend 9’s tune a half step down. He said 9’s tuned down half step can cause real problems. Now I realize that 9’s will be a little more floppy than 10’s but I can still get decent action, 1.5mm at 12th fret or lower. To me this was a red flag. It seems with perfect frets the action should even be lower. Am I expecting to much out of a Plek, is he just trying to set my expectations? I can do a decent setup myself but I just want it fine-tuned to the best it can be. Do you guys think this guy knows what he is talking about? I don’t want to layout $225 for a Plek job if the guy cant get a final setup any better or only marginally better than I can.

I am generally playing 10 and 11 gauge strings on Les Pauls and Strats and I am often detuning half a step. It seems to me that I am on the edge with that already. The lower e strings get a bit loose which might cause a problem on small necks as on a Strat. The general action on the 12th fret should be ajustable with the corresponding neck curve.

I've never used 9 for down tuning (only 10) on 25.5 scale guitars, but I don't think it should cause 'problems'.
As you noticed you can incur in a floppy effect and if you have a 'heavy' hand you cannot lower the action too much...

I'd suggest (before using the Plek) to try out 9.5 and 10 and test if the feeling and the action are better for your playing..
There're also out there 10 with less tension (I'm thinking about Dogal Strings). It's an inexpensive test compared to the Plex.

If you cannot reach the right level of satisfaction... then try the Plek!

Last edited:
No he definitely doesn't know what he's talking about. All the classic Van Halen records are 9-40 strings in Eb FFS :p
My 1983 Kramer was refretted and PLEK'ed with 6100 SS frets a few years ago, and I have it set up in Eb with 9-40's to keep it "VH correct".

Plays perfectly!

For what it's worth, I've been using 8s on most of my 25.5" guitars for the past year, even on ones I downtune to Eb.

I use them on my 24.75"s, but but I don't tune them to Eb when I have them on there, that's too far.

I also play with a pretty light touch, most of the time, but still mostly classic style 70s/80s rock / metal-lite.

It would be nice if all guitar were plekked at the factory. Due to volume, it would not increase the cost of the guitars that much.
Absolutely!👍

I have never played a Pleked guitar to my knowledge. I would like to try it on one of mine. I'm just skeptical about taking it to this guy but it's the only one that has a Plek close to me... I think the shop is about 40-50 miles from me so its not too bad but I want it done by someone who knows what they are doing.

I had 2 guitars plek’d at Sweetwater and they came out awesome. They were new made overseas guitars where the fretwork history was touch and go. I would recommend replacing the nut as wellif you do it. I don’t know how old the guitar is but any fret pops etc have to be fixed first. IMO plek’ing is great but a fret job from a skilled luthier is better.

9’s work tuned down a half step but IMO it depends on your attack. If you hit them hard they are more likely to go sharp than strings with more tension.

It would be nice if all guitar were plekked at the factory. Due to volume, it would not increase the cost of the guitars that much.
I totally agree with you!
I have to say also that using now original SS frets guitars (Ibanez AZ) I don't feel any need of Plek work. They have an astonishing fret work!

My lord, I‘d be crucified the second I tried playing anything. I tried dropping down to 9’s this year on a couple guitars after 20+ years on 10’s+, but I felt like hitting a note and having it stay on pitch was like grabbing a fish with bare hands! Never mind 8.5’s in Eb! I’m jealous of that light touch!

I play with 9's tuned down a half step with my Stratocaster. No issues with setup. 4/64" to 5/64" for action. Vibrato/whammy bar works flawlessly. My hands and joints love me for it too haha. That said I play with a light enough touch. You will have problems sounding sharp if you pick/hit/fret the strings too hard. Fret buzz will also be a little more sensitive if you like low action but play too heavy. Nothing that can't be fixed with some practice.

I don't know enough about how plek machines adjust for the neck tension, whether its a preset thing or whether the software can deduce the difference of neck tension based on measurements with strings and without. I don't know if all machines are created equal. Maybe this is what your tech is getting after.

Back
Top Bottom