AFIII Strings 101

V2:

added a second filter block for variation
added 6 scenes
2nd scene adds some octaves
3rd scene adds some high octaves on top of the other octaves
scenes 4,5,6 add chorus (which seems to sound better for single note stuff)

Attachments

• Strings 101 v2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 104
V3:

added two additional filter blocks to increase complexity of the sound :)

@FractalAudio when adding the last 2 filter blocks axe-edit became extremely slow and locks the III up. Rebooted the III and didn't run axe-edit. Hardware is also sluggish with cpu usage around 63%. Possible bug? Possibly too weird a preset? same preset as below

Attachments

• Strings 101 v3.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 69
V2:

added a second filter block for variation
added 6 scenes
2nd scene adds some octaves
3rd scene adds some high octaves on top of the other octaves
scenes 4,5,6 add chorus (which seems to sound better for single note stuff)

Almost choral sounding. Try put a Formant block in there.

This is really well done. Unique for a pad sound. Very unlike everything else out there. Well done and THANK YOU for sharing!

sounds great. i can't say it sounds much like "strings", but it's still a very cool pad. i agree with cliff...it's more like a choir...the formant might add a nice flavour

i can't say it sounds much like "strings"

There was a lady I used to play music with that used a korg triton. She had this dreamy atmospheric patch she called strings. When Cliff introduced the new verbs I couldn't not hear that sound when trying them, so this is my attempt to recreate that sound.

v4: :)

per Cliff's suggestion I added formant blocks which adds some great sounding randomness to the patch

also lowered the mix levels on the plex and reverb blocks.

you can move one of the formants after the plex blocks and control it with envelope or adsr to get a more vocal like sound. (i'm using the lfo controller to modulate the formants).

I'm playing scene 6 in the example below (new patch attached)

Screenshot (6).png

Attachments

• Strings 101 v4.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 68
v5: :rolleyes:

last one I promise :) kinda drive my own self crazy when I get on this patch creation thing... but it's a lot of fun

this version is mostly reduced highs in the filter blocks that was added with v3.

I've left the different patch variations up because they would be useful in different situations - the ultimate would be to set up channels for all the variations.

I'm playing scene6 below - these sounds inspire weirdness :) Note that I'm using an in between two pickup sound which mellows the sound a little

patch below

Attachments

• Strings 101 v5.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 73
oh sure, I turn my back for just a second and you come up with 2 more versions... Seriously, these are awesome, thanks for sharing all this amazing stringy orchestral type stuff...

Ok, I lied. Last one :)

Before I forgot what I've done, went back and consolidated the best of the different versions into one preset and added two more scenes. You should be able to get most of the sounds in the examples above with this one. And maybe a new one or two :)

After playing around with the filters and envelopes for awhile, a couple things I've noticed makes me think that maybe some effects like the ehx "9" series may be using multi and pitch shifted voices with envelopes and filters to create their polyphonic synth sounds instead of full blown poly recognition?? maybe not?

thanks for all the comments everyone :)

v6:

Attachments

• Strings 101 v6.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 86
Back
Top Bottom