Stringing up guitar concept

Locking tuners, I wind extra string around the tuner and clip excess leaving 2” of string, this allows me to move the string down when I break at the floyd, edge brand whammy bridge. I think I’ve had maybe 2-3 strings break somewhere else in my hundreds of string changes. Always at the bridge.

A solution to a problem that doesn't exist IMHO. You don't even have to stretch the strings by tugging on them, regular bends is enough. The claims by the manufacturer are incorrect to start with, and it's more likely that the strings will be over-stretched using a product like that. Just looking at their instructions had me going "nooooooo!!!" ;)

Over-stretching is much more common than too little, and far worse.
Do you play guitars with floating trems?

You absolutely do need to stretch the strings. Just using bends will take a lifetime...

I've been using the String Stretcha for a few years since I also heard Thomas Nordegg recommend it (while attending Vai Academy).

This tool is well worth it's price and does a fantastic job at getting strings "stable" more consistently than doing it by hand.

Just curious since I don't believe I've ever experienced it, how do you know a string is "overstretched"?

Just curious since I don't believe I've ever experienced it, how do you know a string is "overstretched"?

After looking this up this isn't really a thing. Almost 0 hits about overstretching and the little that i could find I will describe here.

1) May decrease lifespan of strings

2) Moreso for nylon strings, you can stretch to such a point where they become thin and unusable. It would be quite obvious though that you're doing it wrong.

But yes, this isn't really a thing.

After looking this up this isn't really a thing. Almost 0 hits about overstretching and the little that i could find I will describe here.

1) May decrease lifespan of strings

2) Moreso for nylon strings, you can stretch to such a point where they become thin and unusable. It would be quite obvious though that you're doing it wrong.

But yes, this isn't really a thing.
It most certainly is. Google is your friend. John Suhr (Husky) and walterw have plenty of posts talking about it over at TGP. A string is a linear spring. Overstretching it causes it to loose its memory, which will give you all kinds of trouble like tuning instability, poor intonation, dead strings etc.

Don't stretch more than the string will ever be stretched during normal play or you will kill the string be deforming it. What you're aiming to do is essentially getting the winds to tighten around the tuning post and settle at the other end as well (taking the curves out of the string and create straight lines). It doesn't take much. Also, don't forget to seat the strings at the nut and at the bridge saddles (pressing it down right as the string leaves the contact point).

Forgetting to do the last part is one of the reasons people think it takes forever for a guitar to settle with new strings (along with stretching too much). After re-stringing a guitar with a floating trem, it literally takes me a couple of minutes to get it tuned up and get it stable.

Last edited:
PRS tuners love a quarter ($0.25) to finish tightening. Always kept one in my wallet for my S2.

I read some where ,where you start the post holes at different positions , like low e at 5 o'clock, A at 4 , ect. then you string from there ,no wraps.

I string the locking tuners on all of my guitars that have them as per this method:

Which is the 5-4-3-3-2-1 method (like your looking at a clock). This works perfectly IMO.

It most certainly is. Google is your friend. John Suhr (Husky) and walterw have plenty of posts talking about it over at TGP. A string is a linear spring. Overstretching it causes it to loose its memory, which will give you all kinds of trouble like tuning instability, poor intonation, dead strings etc.

Don't stretch more than the string will ever be stretched during normal play or you will kill the string be deforming it. What you're aiming to do is essentially getting the winds to tighten around the tuning post and settle at the other end as well (taking the curves out of the string and create straight lines). It doesn't take much. Also, don't forget to seat the strings at the nut and at the bridge saddles (pressing it down right as the string leaves the contact point).

Forgetting to do the last part is one of the reasons people think it takes forever for a guitar to settle with new strings (along with stretching too much). After re-stringing a guitar with a floating trem, it literally takes me a couple of minutes to get it tuned up and get it stable.
The String Stretcha is putting about as much stretch as (maybe) a minor third bend but it allows you to do this thoroughly and consistently along the length of each string.

It's very similar to how I did it for 30+ years by hand, but it does a better job and it's faster.

If I don't go thru this process (either by hand or the Stretcha), the guitar will continue to need adjustment. When I do it, I have no tuning issues.

Also, I don't think creating witness points (pressing the string down at the nut/saddles improves anything on a double locking system... Although with other systems I can see the benefit.

A solution to a problem that doesn't exist IMHO. You don't even have to stretch the strings by tugging on them, regular bends is enough. The claims by the manufacturer are incorrect to start with, and it's more likely that the strings will be over-stretched using a product like that. Just looking at their instructions had me going "nooooooo!!!" ;)

Over-stretching is much more common than too little, and far worse.
Not in my case. Stretching my new strings is mandatory.

I have one set of these tuners. It took me a long time to get used to them. This is my approach. You may want to have some extra strings around before you try this...

Starting with the low E string...
Align the tuner eyelet to be exactly in line with the trajectory of the fingerboard- one straight shot from the bridge thru the eyelet. Place the wound string through the eyelet. Thread the string thru passing the plain section and get into the wind a couple inches and stop. There should be plenty of space string on the fingerboard side. Begin tightening the locking pin with a minimum amount of pressure. Now pull. Repeat until the string locks into place and stops slipping. Each time (if) the string slips just go a bit further past the marred part of the string. Eventually you will figure out the approximate pressure it takes to hold each of the strings in place.

When you are comfortable with getting the strings to safely lock....

Run the string thru within a couple of inches of the tightest position ( the least amount of slack) and lock the string. Pull to stretch the string out. Release the lock and pull the string completely taught and lock. With the string "pre" stretched out, this should leave you the minimum amount of string connected to the post.

As suggested by others, if the pin is breaking the strings you are setting the pin to tight. If the eyelet is cutting the string them some minor filing and polishing is in order. You can probably determine the cause by looking at the end of the string and how it breaks. Especially if there is a piece still locked in by the pin. ALSO- Make sure you bend the "out" side of the string in the opposite direction as the string is being tensioned. The double 90 degree angle will add an extra layer of security to some of the strings.

I hope this helps. If you are unsure- I could make a video showing this.

Last edited:
The String Stretcha is putting about as much stretch as (maybe) a minor third bend but it allows you to do this thoroughly and consistently along the length of each string.

It's very similar to how I did it for 30+ years by hand, but it does a better job and it's faster.

If I don't go thru this process (either by hand or the Stretcha), the guitar will continue to need adjustment. When I do it, I have no tuning issues.

Also, I don't think creating witness points (pressing the string down at the nut/saddles improves anything on a double locking system... Although with other systems I can see the benefit.
When you say "thoroughly and consistently along the length of each string", it sounds like you imply that the string need actual stretching along it's entire length. That's not the case. You're not trying to stretch the string per say, but seating it at its contact points. Strings don't continuously stretch and go down in pitch unless they're starting to fail. The whole point of "stretching" strings is not to elongate the string or anything like that, it's to make sure it's settled and seated around the tuner, nut, saddle etc.

So yeah, you still need to press down on the string on a floyd near the nut and the saddle. On a double locking system, it's a far more important step than string stretching. Even on a double locking system, the new strings will curve around the nut and saddle, it's true for all guitars.

I still think the stringstretcha is snake oil, since they claim things that simply aren't objectively true regarding the physics of strings. I think the only benefit of it is that it saves on tender fingers if you're doing numerous re-stringings at once.

When you say "thoroughly and consistently along the length of each string", it sounds like you imply that the string need actual stretching along it's entire length. That's not the case. You're not trying to stretch the string per say, but seating it at its contact points. Strings don't continuously stretch and go down in pitch unless they're starting to fail. The whole point of "stretching" strings is not to elongate the string or anything like that, it's to make sure it's settled and seated around the tuner, nut, saddle etc.

So yeah, you still need to press down on the string on a floyd near the nut and the saddle. On a double locking system, it's a far more important step than string stretching. Even on a double locking system, the new strings will curve around the nut and saddle, it's true for all guitars.

I still think the stringstretcha is snake oil, since they claim things that simply aren't objectively true regarding the physics of strings. I think the only benefit of it is that it saves on tender fingers if you're doing numerous re-stringings at once.
We'll have to agree to disagree... My experience is otherwise.

I love my String Stretcha, just stretch and tune, stretch and tune, until the note doesn't go out of tune after the stretch. Usually takes 2-3 runs.

The whole point of "stretching" strings is not to elongate the string or anything like that, it's to make sure it's settled and seated around the tuner, nut, saddle etc.
If the pitch is lower after the stretch, then the string elongated. Not once have I ever stretched a new string and not had it appreciably elongate, even with a double locking system that needs no "seating". Elongation is the whole point for me.

Last edited:
If the pitch is lower after the stretch, then the string elongated. Not once have I ever stretched a new string and not had it appreciably elongate, even with a double locking system that needs no "seating". Elongation is the whole point for me.
I feel like you're taking me a bit out of context. I never said that strings don't stretch, but that the stretching they do is minor compared to the issue of having them seated properly and creating the straight lines that the string needs to stop going of tune. And yes, this is still true for double locking systems (which I've primarily played for the last 20 years).

Say you stretch the strings enough for them to be seated at the tuner etc, but haven't created witness points. There is still a curves on the string.

On a double locking system, you have 3 curves: Leaving the nut, leaving the saddle, and the string bending to go down into the string lock cavity in the saddle. All the extra stretching (which people seem to do), will not elongated the string further along it's length (unless you overstretch), but force the curve out of the string. I don't think people realise that's what's happening.

I've been using the String Stretcha for a few years since I also heard Thomas Nordegg recommend it (while attending Vai Academy).

Been to any other camps? I've done several of the G4 and Petrucci ones, was supposed to go to Paul Gilbert's last year but still on it for '21. If I haven't met ya I'm sure we've got several mutual friends at least :)

Been to any other camps? I've done several of the G4 and Petrucci ones, was supposed to go to Paul Gilbert's last year but still on it for '21. If I haven't met ya I'm sure we've got several mutual friends at least :)
I went to the G4 Experience in Cambria CA 2015 (I think) - that was the first and what I thought was a once in a lifetime experience (gift from my wife).

I then attended Vai Academy 4 in Palm Springs CA and then 5 in Glenn Cove NY.

Was planning to go to Petrucci last year but... Hopefully the rescheduled one for this year will happen.

There are a few threads here about it.

At Vai Academy 5 I shared a room with @fremen and we also met up with @Dale LeClaire and @shawnb at the airport and traveled together from/to the airport.

There were a number of other forum members there, including @hippietim and (of course) @Larry Mitchell and @Admin M@.

Good times!

I went to the G4 Experience in Cambria CA 2015 (I think) - that was the first and what I thought was a once in a lifetime experience (gift from my wife).

That was my first one as well! I ended up helping out in Stu Hamm's jam session most nights, but the ones at the main lodge were badass as well. I'm in NJ so the Glen Cove ones are only about 2 hours driving for me, tend to lean towards those.

I'm guessing you probably know the regulars then...Amir, Chuck, Chris S, Alistair, Cory, few others. I also got up to the Aristocamp in '19 and in '20 went to the Andy Wood thing in TN. Lots of cool people to keep in touch with :)

Back
Top Bottom