STRING9: Electro-Harmonix did it again

Sounds great but don't want to have to buy each one individually. An all in version would be interesting.

FWIW, Midi Guitar 2 is pretty amazing. Tracking if you work with it is on par with the GR55 (which I own).

The guy playing with Carl Palmer uses it. Check him out.

Sorry to hijack this thread even further, but been checking into Jam Origin MIDI Guitar 2. Considering the amount of quality VST plug-ins I have this looks like a viable and monetarily smart solution. Ironically the other week I was watching a video of the Carl Palmer band and was wondering what the guitar player was using. Admittedly that dude is a monster on playing the Emerson stuff. Anyway, there’s a free trial I think of checking out. Let’s see how it tracks.

I went to check the price on the GR55 and got a bit of a surprise. I was hoping it maybe would be reduced somewhat, but instead found out like most things it is about $200 more than first introduced. I remember when it was first introduced I think it was $699 minus pickup, but had a $100 immediate rebate so the whole thing could be had for around $750US. I have to admit the individual string detection of the GK pickup is a cool feature. I would love to use alternate tunings without messing with the guitar.

Thanks @Piing for starting this thread and the post you made on the thread of the confused dude about modeling. It really got my interest in this stuff flowing again.

STRING9:

Bought it.
Received it.
Unpacked it.
Connected it, using I/O 3 on the Axe-Fx III.
Tested it.
Didn't like it (even less than the Synth9).
Packed it.
Returned it.
They definitely seem to want the guitar plugged directly to them. I don’t know if they’re very impedance sensitive or just need a steady signal with no extraneous noise.

Yeah, did that too. No difference because I/O loops 3 and 4 have the correct instrument impedance and are very clean.

Sorry to hijack this thread even further, but been checking into Jam Origin MIDI Guitar 2. Considering the amount of quality VST plug-ins I have this looks like a viable and monetarily smart solution. Ironically the other week I was watching a video of the Carl Palmer band and was wondering what the guitar player was using. Admittedly that dude is a monster on playing the Emerson stuff. Anyway, there’s a free trial I think of checking out. Let’s see how it tracks.

I went to check the price on the GR55 and got a bit of a surprise. I was hoping it maybe would be reduced somewhat, but instead found out like most things it is about $200 more than first introduced. I remember when it was first introduced I think it was $699 minus pickup, but had a $100 immediate rebate so the whole thing could be had for around $750US. I have to admit the individual string detection of the GK pickup is a cool feature. I would love to use alternate tunings without messing with the guitar.

Thanks @Piing for starting this thread and the post you made on the thread of the confused dude about modeling. It really got my interest in this stuff flowing again.
I'm incredibly impressed with this (MG2) and I have the GR55. Well worth checking out.

MM

Sounds great but don't want to have to buy each one individually. An all in version would be interesting.

FWIW, Midi Guitar 2 is pretty amazing. Tracking if you work with it is on par with the GR55 (which I own).

The guy playing with Carl Palmer uses it. Check him out.

^ That video is an anomaly. Just like this one for the GR55

Good luck getting real world results that match those experiences :|
Man Bill Rupert knows how to pull the magic out of these things. Even whipped out some Mahavishnu in the beginning.

I have a good musician friend who just turned 66 and is completely technologically impaired when it comes to all the newer tech. However, he has perfect pitch, went to Peabody for composition and conducting and blows me away with theory knowledge. I showed him these 9 pedals thinking they just might be something he could handle. Well he went crazy and bought 4 of them straight away. I was like “just get one and see how it really works before going all in”. It was just too much temptation for him. He’s been getting a grip on it. He has all these little notes of paper with all the control positions for all the song parts he wants to use them. For me I would just use them at arms length and tweak on the fly. He’s presently saving for the String9. Hearing about the failure rate is a bit disconcerting.

I’ve been tempted to get the GR-55 many times, but I waited so long that I figure Roland will finally come out with something new a month after I get it. The Boss GP-10 looks cool too. Here again it’s rather dated. I didn’t realize its capabilities until the posts @Piing posted the other day. When I got the FM3 I figured I would get my non guitar/synth sound fix along with my Eventide H9. For the most part it has scratched that itch, but not completely. Everything seems a must have when watching a video with an experienced player.
Bill Ruppert makes everything sound ridiculously awesome, but just like above; good luck getting his secrets to achieve the same tones and results. It ain't happening. I get it but it makes the devices seem like you need to be some sort of audio wizard which most of us are not.
Just jump in and do it. The GR-55 is a bit pricey, if you're not certain about the purchase (I think the high resale values speak well of it). I first bought a GR-20 to test the waters. You can find a -20 for around $250 with a pickup included. Anyway, I quickly knew it was for me, sold the -20 for a profit and bought the -55.

The key is patience on Reverb or your local market. I put a watch on the -55 on Reverb, got a feel for the market, then snatched up a new listing that was priced to sell (from a reputable seller).

If Roland would at least update the guitar modeling to their current stuff it could be a stand alone multieffects/midi platform. People never focus much on the multieffects aspect, but it'll do that plus the midi (simultaneously). Obviously it's not in Fractal's league, but it's still usable for a live gig (very basic signal chain, i.e., amp/drive-modulation-delay-reverb).

Warning: This may induce further GAS. I have since purchased two guitars equipped with built-in midi pickups. Godins and Kiesels are great for this.
I think they haven't been able to advance the tech enough to warrant a revisit of the GR series. Coupled with the fact that they are still charging ~$1k for the GR and the pickup. That's RIDICULOUS. Considering how we are continually told no one wants this kind of tech.

The GT1000 era of amp modeling, if you ignore the FAS approach of modeling REAL amps; is fantastic. They have gotten much better at footswitch methodologies as well vs. the GR55 where the switching is horribly implemented and hamstrung most likely by barely enough processing power that gives you seemingly endless gaps in preset switching. Which is the only way you can go (unless you go MIDI) because onboard switches are dumb. I would love a GR1000 with stereo FX loop and the ability to act as an IR player as well. I don't expect it to ever happen though.

Sorry for the hijack @Piing :) I've been on the irritated by Roland train a few too many ice cream seasons.

Sorry for the hijack @Piing :) I've been on the irritated by Roland train a few too many ice cream seasons.
Me too. I've been disappointed at way too many NAMMs because they have given up on 13 Pin, I've had Gr20,30,33,55 SY1000 , Fishman and Axon. When I play live I use the GR55 as it is the best of all of those but I'm telling you MG2 is worth a look. When you combine it with the arsenal of AU plug in sounds available and mix it with a guitar, it is VERY workable (it won't do alternate tunings like the GR obviously) and I'm no Carl Palmer Guitarist. :)

MM

I’m not sure what some of the expectations are of these things (not so much the EHX), but I have enough experience to know they are certainly capable of doing legit stuff. Yeah, the ELP dude is some sort of freak of nature. That’s not my intention. IMO they’re for adding textures to your sound and with slower attack real instruments (winds, brass, etc.) certainly capable of doing legit solo playing. Honesty even the GR33 tracked well enough to do much more than that. I have messed with them a good bit over the years just never took the plunge. There was even a MIDI converter system made by Yamaha (I think) way back that I used to trigger my SY77 and was workable, but clunky and too much involved. Just like it took 20 years for amp modeling to get ready for prime time it appears the same is true with this. It’s all about processing power, efficient coding and ingenious implementation.

I always seemed to get the technique needed to use them. On Thanksgiving I was showing off the FM3 to my family and was leaning back in my computer chair mostly noodling in a lousing playing position. I clicked on one of the synth patches and was like “check this out”, but since I was in a poor playing position I started to hit bad notes and get ghost notes. I immediately sat up and got in a proper playing position and began making music. IMO the technology is there it just needs to be approached properly. I’m from the Fripp soundscapes, Pat Metheny horn, John McLaughlin, Adrian Belew and even Holdsworth realm. Not implying I’m anywhere near the musician, but that’s what I want to do with it. Certainly not 32nd note metal stuff. It also would never be my main platform. Much of the tech like this is also “once you play the next better tech the lesser is automatically unacceptable”.

I’m becoming impressed with the Midi Guitar 2. I like you can test drive it first.

Edit:
I also wanted to add that when it comes to polyphonic chording, knowing how to use just triads with an added bass or accidental or quality is important. Can’t be playing bar chords all over the place.

Last edited:
Knowing how to use just triads with an added bass ... Can’t be playing bar chords all over the place.
What's a "triad"?? You're talking advanced theory and technique, man!

Bar/power chords is my (and millions of other rockers') main skill. If polyphonic can't handle that, it's shite! 😉

Here's a quick demo using MG2. A few horn, synth and elec piano sounds. Still some glitches but you can tweak some of them out with settings and certainly if you combine with a guitar sound, it can go a long way to fill out a band.

Nice demo of how it can be effective. The Steely Dan was very cool. Added the keyboard part that is like the cherry on top. The Chicago was cool too.
I was checking this guys vids out last night.
https://youtube.com/@lofileif

Back
Top Bottom