String recommendation

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
So today I was changing strings on a couple guitars and noted that I have only a couple sets left.

I decided to go place a bulk order like I do every 18 months or so, only to discover that apparently Fender 150xl strings are no longer for sale anywhere.

I'm pretty particular about the gauges I use and have been using for a looong time.

I'm looking for a recommendation on something to replace them.

I want nickel wound strings, with the following gauges: .009, .011, .015, .024, .032, .040

Ok, go!

The Ernie Ball 2223 Nickel Super Slinky set it pretty close to what you're accustomed to. They're 9-11-16-24w-32-42.

Try https://www.stringjoy.com. Stupid name. Great strings. Totally customizable sets.

What do they cost?

I want nickel wound strings, with the following gauges: .009, .011, .015, .024, .032, .040

Ok, go!

Dang, that's some lightweight strings you use there unix-guy:laughing:. I couldn't play what I play on stings that light, although somehow I used to, on a 24 3/4" scale no less. Your admiration for the Ibanez 87-88 Sabre's peaked my interest, I bet their really comfortable to play. I made my V-Burst like that, carved to the edges, it's very comfortable to play, especially if ya have a gut ;). What is the scale length on the Sabre's?

You might enjoy this post/thread:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/o...aber-540s-sh-any-others-out-there-118256.html

What do they cost?

Dang, that's some lightweight strings you use there unix-guy:laughing:. I couldn't play what I play on stings that light, although somehow I used to, on a 24 3/4" scale no less. Your admiration for the Ibanez 87-88 Sabre's peaked my interest, I bet their really comfortable to play. I made my V-Burst like that, carved to the edges, it's very comfortable to play, especially if ya have a gut ;). What is the scale length on the Sabre's?

You might enjoy this post/thread:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/o...aber-540s-sh-any-others-out-there-118256.html
They are 25.5" scale... I will check the link.

Well, I managed to find a shop online with my strings in stock. Ordered 15 sets... Notified this morning that they only have 13.

Gonna get a set of the D'addario balanced 9s, too, just to give them a try since I can get them shipped at the same time.

I use Curt Mangan strings. Small company in Colorado you can actually call and talk to Curt if you have a question. He will make a set any gauge you want. I have used 9-42 pure nickel for years and recently changed to 9-46. I've bought custom steel guitar sets, dobro and acoustic sets too. All premium. I do know they make nickel wound as I have a set to try.

15, I mean 14 sets! How many guitars do you have? ;)
Enough that 14 sets of strings doesn't get them all... But most only get new strings occasionally as they are not frequently used.

But I like to buy in bulk historically because of price discounts.
What is balanced tension? Have you noticed a difference?
I've never used them, so I can't tell you...

Back
Top Bottom