JazzMac251

Inspired
I've been pretty interested in Eric Johnson's famous violin tone for a while. After playing around with some weird FX, I got inspired to try and up the ante by creating a full string orchestra in the Axe. I kinda stumbled onto the magic formula by accident. This was the end result.

Everything is one take, by which I mean there's only a single guitar track happening here. It was important for me to keep it that way because I wanted to be able to use whatever sound I created in a live setting. 90% of the end product was done completely in the Axe. I added some stereo reverb and EQ in my DAW after the part was tracked, but that was really done as part of the refining process. Those changes could easily be done internally in the Axe, and in the case of the reverb, it would probably sound a lot better (my reverb plugins are a drag :/ )

Suhr Strat, Lollar Low Wind Imperial bridge pickup (split, I think), a lot of overdrive (Micro Boost, I think?) into a Twin (again, I think), pitch shifter added in there somewhere, crap-ton of stereo reverb, swell into chords with a volume pedal and use a very light touch on the strings. I think that's all there is to it.

Let me know what you think!

Oh, and I have no idea why I chose this song, of all things. Weird decision, I know.

Oh yeah! Don't forget dat whammy vibrato!

Also, if anyone is concerned about all the buzz they're hearing, that's not the Axe's fault. My PC creates an enormous amount of interference. There's probably some kind of grounding or shielding issue with the case.

Back
Top Bottom