String gauges you use, on different tuned guitar

I am in the process of getting a 3rd electric guitar, to keep at 1 whole step down tuning. What string gauge do you use?

I've had 9-42's on my standard tuned gtr...and 10-46s on my 1/2 step low gtr. A guitar I'm looking at for the whole step low has on it what I believe are 8's...and it plays like butter/very easily. By the way, its the same exact gtr I have for my 1/2 step, so no difference there.

Anyone use 8's on a whole step low gtr??

I have 10's on a Jackson Soloist that is tuned down a half step; DR DDT 11-54's on a Schecter Banshee that is tuned down one step; 9.5 - 44 on two Suhrs tuned to standard tuning; and 10's on a Gibson SG & Gibson Flying V tuned to standard tuning.

Last edited:
I really like that Ernie Ball Hybrid Custom set with .009 - .046 strings :)

Easy to bend the top three strings from a .009 set and an almost erotic sensation (did I just text that out loud?) from digging in and bending the lower 3 strings from a .010 set! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The strings/tunings I use most often are as follows:

Fender scale 25.5" tuned to Eb or E standard - D'Addario 10-46

Gibson scale 24.75" tuned to Eb standard - D'Addario 11-49

PRS baritone scale 27.7" tuned to C standard - Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky 11-54 (plain .022 G/Eb string)

What scale length are you looking at for your new guitar? I successfully used 10-46 strings on a 25.5" guitar in D standard for a couple years, mainly because I had to OCCASIONALLY tune it back up to E standard. 10 's in D were light, but they held pitch perfectly fine. That guitar didn't seem to like heavier gauges.

I can't imagine an .008 set in D standard being very stable, but what doesn't work for one person may be perfect for you. I would highly recommend buying a few different sets and experimenting. That will narrow down the most suitable candidate for your particular playing style, personal taste and that specific guitar.

Good luck!

I play in Drop C# mainly on a 25" Custom 24. 10-52's work well. Make sure that your intonation is set correctly.

I've been using Ernie ball hybrids on my LH EBMM jp6 and epiphone. I wanted to try something new. I went to the local music store and bought a pair of eb skinny top heavy bottom. All I can say is that I really liked them. The bottom feels very tight while it's not a big challenge to do lead work.

I want to try the dd's next.

Back
Top Bottom