String gauge-Muscle and string bending question

Yes and you are absolutely right about higher up on the neck and the gain. If I were a metal or hard rock player I would be better off...Too old to change now :-( But i am going to try to add some gain to all my clean presets. Thanks for that.....
Have you tried maybe adding some dynamic compression instead? I find that is often helpful on the cleans for reducing effort.

No, that's a solid idea --I have already been thinking about a les paul Studio with the 60's taper neck (because I have been playing Strat necks all my life) Thanks

Also forgot to mention - if you do decide to get an LP, you can do a top wrap with the strings - so 10's will feel like 9 1/2's...9's will feel like 8 1/2's etc....

Warmoth sells 24.75" scale conversion necks for Strats. It changes the string node to pickup alignment so the tone may be a little bit different, but you'll have less tension. They are available in different profiles, fretboard radii, and nut widths as well. The wrong neck shape for your playing style can be tough on your fretting hand.

EDIT: I did not mean to post this-that is why it's unfinished-so far the difference isn't that significant-need to play it more-sorry for the miss info :-(

I just changed only the High E from 9 to 8 and the difference is huge,,,, As long as I get past the 3
Have you tried maybe adding some dynamic compression instead? I find that is often helpful on the cleans for reducing effort.

No but I sure will tonight-Thanks

Last edited:
Warmoth sells 24.75" scale conversion necks for Strats. It changes the string node to pickup alignment so the tone may be a little bit different, but you'll have less tension. They are available in different profiles, fretboard radii, and nut widths as well. The wrong neck shape for your playing style can be tough on your fretting hand.

Thanks I'll check it out

If it's mainly bends that are getting you, make sure you are using a second finger behind the fretting finger to help bend the string. It feels way easier and has got to be less stress on the fingers.

If it's mainly bends that are getting you, make sure you are using a second finger behind the fretting finger to help bend the string. It feels way easier and has got to be less stress on the fingers.

Appreciate the reply-I have been playing for over 30 years-it's not the technique, it's the arthritis. But thank you for chiming in and offering help-it's all good. Thank You Frank

Looking at some Gibson LP's with 60's slim taper neck. But was wondering seems like 12" radius would be harder to bend on? I have no experience with LP's at all. I know the shorter scale would help-that's why I have been looking.

Stratman68, I'm gonna throw out a total left field suggestion.....try out slide playing. It could add a wicked dimension to your playing and a different flair to covers (if you play them). Bonus, minimal investment required.

Hey RD-I appreciate the thought-but really not my thing-thanks for the reply-always welcome.........I love playing chords riffs with little solo stuff thrown in-I am a vocalist also- well, probably mainly. But if I don't find a solution that really works for me-I will just abandon bending altogether-would hate to do that, but we'll see-

Looking at some Gibson LP's with 60's slim taper neck. But was wondering seems like 12" radius would be harder to bend on? I have no experience with LP's at all. I know the shorter scale would help-that's why I have been looking.

I would say it is definitely a combination of factors; I played strats for a long time and then got into Les Pauls so a few observations if I may; firstly the string tension on my Les Paul is less than on my strats, although the difference when bending does not seem huge to me.

I believe this is due to a couple of things and to be honest I don't know if the fretboard radius comes into it or not. The first thing is that my les paul has a very low action and I find that means I need more pressure to keep the string from slipping out from under my finger.

The other thing is that les pauls don't have huge frets which means there is a fair amount of skin pushing against the fingerboard which makes bending the string more difficult than it would be on a guitar with larger frets or a scalloped board, which I also have (my scalloped strat also has stainless frets). The stainless frets are very smooth and the strings glide over them when bending.

The other thing to note if you go from a strat to a standard les paul, is the upper fret access, or lack thereof on the les paul; on the R8 I had, I found it really hard to bend strings high up because the heel on that guitar does not allow you to get your hand in a comfortable position when playing say above the 17th fret or so. I ended up selling the R8 and getting a les paul axcess which is far easier to play, although I still think upper fret access is still not as good as say on a strat.

So I'm not sure a les paul would be your best choice; the shorter scale length makes sense but I would think something with larger frets, preferably stainless steel, and/or scalloped and with good upper fret access would help a lot.

Good luck with whatever you do try and I hope things work out.

[QUOTE="
I believe this is due to a couple of things and to be honest I don't know if the fretboard radius comes into it or not. The first thing is that my les paul has a very low action and I find that means I need more pressure to keep the string from slipping out from under my finger.
Good luck with whatever you do try and I hope things work out.[/QUOTE]

Thanks very much-I believe the quote I copied from your post is definitely part of my issue. Because that is what's happening.

Need to raise it-still have only change the hi E from 9 to 8 but maybe raising the action will do the rest. Thanks again
Frank

On my neck (scalloped with 8's), if I press too hard, the note will go sharp! So, give a scalloped neck with light-gauge strings a try, it will teach you very quickly to have a light touch... or drive you crazy, it depends on you. :)
I have jumbo low's frets on the beast, so when playing super clean i find myself fretting way to hard sometimes, but i am getting better at haveing a lighter touch slowly :D

Back
Top Bottom