Strictly home playing...FRFR cab vs studio monitors?

I don’t know, high end monitors you can usually buy individually. Don’t know with the Yamaha’s. Having two and running stereo would generally be better, depending on your budget. At $200 I’d certainly rather buy one $200 speaker than two $100 speakers. But at $2000 I’d easily buy two $1000 speakers rather than one $2000 speaker. With two monitors you can also hook them up to your computer for other uses as well so I’d go for that.

Yamaha HS8's get a lot of prays around here, I saw a pair of them on Reverb for $500 + ship. I limped by for years with a set of M-Audio Bx8a's (not the greatest monitors) even did a few small jam sessions with them which I don't really recommend.

Most studio monitors don't have any protection for the speakers so you are having to move treat them like they are made of glass.

They worked but they were at the limit volume wise and had to have them elevated and right next to me to hear my self, from a home bedroom playing setting they worked just fine.

Last edited:
Follow up on this question as I too am new. Strictly home playing. I have krk rokit 5 going right now. Does anyone have a recommendation for a studio/stereo amp to go between the axe fx ii and monitors? Would like a bit more brightness and push, especially when playing anything overdriven or distorted. Thank you

Follow up on this question as I too am new. Strictly home playing. I have krk rokit 5 going right now. Does anyone have a recommendation for a studio/stereo amp to go between the axe fx ii and monitors? Would like a bit more brightness and push, especially when playing anything overdriven or distorted. Thank you
Your Rokit 5's are powered monitors. They aren't made to take an amplifier's output.

If you want more brightness, dial it in on your Fractal gear. I'm not sure what "push" means. If you mean "gain," dial that in on your Fractal gear, too. If you mean "more volume," you'll have to get beefier monitors.

Only connect an amp to your Rokits if you want to fry them. :)

Thank you very much for that, very good to know. New to the whole monitor playing and taking a bit getting used to.
It will take a while to get used to but read through the forums for help. I went through a few different monitors and ended up with a pair of Adam a7x which I bought open box from Muscians Friend. They do make a difference but what also helped was to read through the forums and learn what the knobs do. I am not an expert but I can now dial in a descent sound and I play now more than tweek. There are so many forum members here with a lot of knowledge so take advantage of it and they are always willing to help.

FWIW I have an ASC-12 at home in addition to studio monitors. I only use the studio monitors when I am recording as I prefer the feel of the cab.

There is a niche market for a small but great sounding FRFR speaker. I am not a fan of small studio monitors, as they can be very hi-fi sounding.... but you can play them at very low volumes. I have looked at 8" monitors, but not sure they are worth it.

Just got a pair of 2nd hand Dynaudio BM6 MKIII in mint condition for playing at home, far more superior sound as compared to my Laney LFR-112, never look back.

There is a niche market for a small but great sounding FRFR speaker. I am not a fan of small studio monitors, as they can be very hi-fi sounding.... but you can play them at very low volumes. I have looked at 8" monitors, but not sure they are worth it.
I used to run a cheap set of M audio 8" monitors for years! they may not have been the most accurate but close enough and big enough to have some presents in the room that didn't break the bank.

Back
Top Bottom