Stream of Consciousness

Your tone is very close but you really need better studio monitors since these are very oddly scooped. It's most likely that when you're mixing you are compensating for your bad speakers. The clean part was okay but the original has almost no presence so I'd put a de-esser on top of that to remove clams. You can also try a high cut at 6000hz. The distortion had a weird scoop at 1110hz area. Petrucci's tones sound mid scooped but they actually aren't. He has an even spectrum with just a tad more low mids. From 300hz-1500hz there's a lot missing. A/B with the original and you'll notice. Good playing though... I learned to shred when I practiced all the solos from ToT. As I Am and SoC's second solo are painful but hell... after knowing how to play those you know enough technique for just about any song.

What amp sim and cab did you use? I can give you better advice if I know what you are using!

I know, buying decent monitors is the first thing I'm gonna do once I can afford it! Really frustrating to be playing in the dark...

I use the IIC+ sim, I basically just followed the "IIC+ how to" from the wiki: http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index. ... ark_Series
For the cab I use a Redwirez mesa IR. Don't remember exactly which one, but it's a variation of MesaRectifierV30s-SM57...and frankly I have no idea which one to choose because there are so many variations and I'm not sure what the different stuff means. Like the cap-1in, CapEdgeOffAxis-1in etc...

I think I know what you mean by the weird scoop. Usually when I feel something's not right, I just hear it but can't place my finger on what's causing it. Nice to get tips from someone more experienced :)

torkolort said:
I know, buying decent monitors is the first thing I'm gonna do once I can afford it! Really frustrating to be playing in the dark...

I use the IIC+ sim, I basically just followed the "IIC+ how to" from the wiki: http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index. ... ark_Series
For the cab I use a Redwirez mesa IR. Don't remember exactly which one, but it's a variation of MesaRectifierV30s-SM57...and frankly I have no idea which one to choose because there are so many variations and I'm not sure what the different stuff means. Like the cap-1in, CapEdgeOffAxis-1in etc...

I think I know what you mean by the weird scoop. Usually when I feel something's not right, I just hear it but can't place my finger on what's causing it. Nice to get tips from someone more experienced :)

Petrucci used a Recto Roadking on that album so Mark series isn't the only way to go here. That's a good IIC+ tone... I just can't get enough gain out of that amp sim. :) Recto New sounds pretty close to the ToT tone. The only reason I say so is because using that Mesa EQ trick is not very accurate. I got the closest just using the 750hz knob with 0.707Q and anything from -3dB to -6dB. More scoopage than that won't probably sound that good in a mix.

The Petrucci way to mic a cab is always "0in" and he uses an SM57 at CapEdge and on that album he also used a MD421 at CapEdge/Cone area and mixed it a bit lower in volume with the SM57. I'm 100% happy with just the "MesaRectifierV30s-SM57-CapEdge-0in" and don't think you need to play around with mixing IR's.

Back
Top Bottom