Strat whammy or block?

markmusicman

Experienced
I was just wondering how many strat users place a block behind their trem or just deal with tuning issues. I have purchased different terms and had some success but they work the best for me when I just leave them blocked.

I don't block it, but I also don't use it. I never put the bar in and it rarely ever goes out of tune!

I wonder how many springs you have attached in the back, sometimes if there are 5 springs and the bridge is held down tight to the body they will stay in good tune without using the whammy.

hmmm... that could be...
I'll try to remember to check when I get home.
I want to say though, that there are 3 springs and it floats... meaning it has some action in both directions.
BUT I could be way off... I was at one time doing exactly that... seating the trem down onto the body by tightening the springs.
I believe I determined that it was worse about going out of tune that way so I quit... er... I think anyway.
Sorry I'm not much help ;)

First of all: do you have staggered locking tuners (reduce friction on string by reducing the angle coming off the nut - very important - and obviate the need for string trees too), do you lube the nut? Do you stretch your strings? I found my strat was staying pretty well in tune when I unblocked it and took it 'off the deck' so I could bend both ways once I did those things, but I also had help with some videos - I actually followed his 'two post' advice for my six-screw, and it worked!

Best of luck.

Yea actually I had both of them working pretty good I had put Super Vees on both my strats lubed them very good and they were staying in good tune. I do allot of lead playing and started having issues with the g string hanging until I hit the whammy. I just decided to block them for now my Ibanez Jem has the locking nut and I have no issues with that guitar. So using the guitars this way gibves me the best of both worlds.

Back
Top Bottom