Strat trem guys: full float or dive-only?

Full float or dive-only?

• Full float

Votes: 39 75.0%
  • Dive-only

Votes: 13 25.0%

• Total voters
Either one, whatever you've got.
If its a 2 point then I float it ever so slightly, basically enough for the base plate of the trem to sit parallel to the body top, so maybe a 2mm gap.

If its 6 point then no float, in fact I'm completely against floating a 6 point. I had a friend give me his 6 point Strat to set up, after a failed tech visit, that he said he wanted the bridge floated on which I advised against. It played way better decked with lower action and better RTP but he wanted to flutter both ways so I gave it as much lift as I was prepared to do (which in truth was none but whatever) and he was happy.

I live by the code that a trem base plate should be parallel to the body top, done it that way for nearly 30 years with no issues.

EDIT: In light of this, I dont know how to vote as both apply.

Dive only. If I break a string on a gig I can still finish the rest of the song before replacing the string or swapping guitars. Also helps for drop D-tuning.

My strats are dive only to have more stabile tuning. I have a couple of floating guitars (PRS, Dean Stealth, EB Majesty) when I play Petrucci or Dimebag covers

Pics or it didn't happen!

Just kidding. I just like to see other peoples' JEMs. And that is a great strategy, I use it all the time myself.

Here's a gallery for ya-

It hasn't gotten a lot of play time recently due to the other toys I've bought, but it'll always be my baby. It's, literally, the only consistent thing I've ever had in my life, above family/friends/anything. It might be the most beat up 7V I've ever seen aside from EVO itself.

Like I said, I recommend Carl Verheyen's method.
It's troll physics. Nothing in the video has any basis in fact. The angle on the claw can't compensate different string tension through a solid anchor point and you can't alter the differential pitch without changing the action or intonation on a particular string to something wrong. If you set one and get the others it is coincidence . Read #37 the set up is BS.

Aw, c'mon, Andy. No reason to argue with results. Some people get lucky and the setup is close enough for the job when it works. YMMV. It doesn't have to be perfect to be useful, and that's why it doesn't have to be a Trans-Trem.

If, 32 years ago, you had asked me about the Trans-Trem's future I'd have predicted it would be a mass-produced (if finicky) product that would be within the reach of every guitarist. Something that people really explored the way Michael Hedges did on Taproot.
Something happened and where is it now?
But I would never argue against a Trans-Trem. In those 32 years I think I got to play one once, and it wasn't properly set up anyway so I couldn't even play "Get Up" on it! I'm still salty about the Trans-Trem apparently.

The digital solution might be preferable now?

So, continuing trem-chat: Ibanez Edge Lo-Pro - Great tremolo unit or The Greatest Tremolo Unit? 😇

Aw, c'mon, Andy. No reason to argue with results. Some people get lucky and the setup is close enough for the job when it works. YMMV. It doesn't have to be perfect to be useful, and that's why it doesn't have to be a Trans-Trem.

If, 32 years ago, you had asked me about the Trans-Trem's future I'd have predicted it would be a mass-produced (if finicky) product that would be within the reach of every guitarist. Something that people really explored the way Michael Hedges did on Taproot.
Something happened and where is it now?
But I would never argue against a Trans-Trem. In those 32 years I think I got to play one once, and it wasn't properly set up anyway so I couldn't even play "Get Up" on it! I'm still salty about the Trans-Trem apparently.

The digital solution might be preferable now?

So, continuing trem-chat: Ibanez Edge Lo-Pro - Great tremolo unit or The Greatest Tremolo Unit? 😇
My problem with the video is the fact that the results are nothing to do with the adjustments claimed. It is like saying "Last time I wore a red t shirt my guitar stayed in tune therefore if I ware a red t shirt I'll stay in tune." Anecdotal evidence is like a conspiracy theory, total BS and coincidence put together by idiots. I find this video a shame because Carl is a supper nice guy and a world class player.

Oh and yess the LoPro Edge is a great unit but I think the 1996 works as well and sounds slightly better. The old Kahler Steeler was a great design literally only addressing the shortcomings of the original Floyd and fixing most of them without over complicating anything.
The saddle bolts and radius in the baseplate are genius ,especially as there is no increase in the part count or complexity. Why these improvements (and they undoubtably are) are not seen in any production unit I do not know. If Gotoh added them to the 1996 it would be even better. Also add the low pro tuner design at the same time .

Back
Top Bottom