Strat trem guys: full float or dive-only?

Full float or dive-only?

• Full float

Votes: 39 75.0%
  • Dive-only

Votes: 13 25.0%

• Total voters

Budda

Axe-Master
As I'm not primarily a strat player, I'm curious as to what you tremolo/vibrato guys prefer. You'll note there's no option for "blocked" as I want to keep the discussion to trem use.

What's your setup and why did you go that way?

I hate tuning my guitar, rarely use the trem.

I usually block the trem on strats but decided to switch it up. The trem on my jazzmaster is set to "lock" (I sold the one with the hardtail conversion plate last weekend).

fender player strat - stays in tune very well floating for a less expensive guitar. I'm not aggressive with the trem (have a locking nut floyd guitar for that) - just gentle wiggles but I want up/down so..

Full floating here, Deluxe V-Neck strat. I use it similar to how a singer uses vibrato, rarely any deep dives ala Floyd Rose. Dive only doesn't sound natural to me. No issues at all with tuning stability.

Full floating is the way to go for me on Strats. Favorite is the VegaTrem, the range of a recessed Floyd, ultra smooth handling.

my Suhr 2 point trem is floating a little just enough to do flicks etc. I can also get away with drop D as well

Coming from the Jeff Beck, Al Murphy, Steve Farris school of trem use the two post trems on all my strats float a tone up

How else are you gonna make squeally noises to annoy singers?!?

Always fully floating!! Adjusted to raise exactly 1 semitone at the open 1st string, 2 semitones at the 2nd string, and 3semitones at the 3rd string when fully pulling the bar.

Otherwise, why do you even have a trem bar? It must be so boring to block it half way :D
The Carl Verheyen set up where you actually set the pitch on the G and the others will do what ever they do regardless of anything you do. Other that the action and intonation adjustments you have no way of altering relative pitch change of individual strings on ANY trem with the exception of the Steinberger Transtrems. Fortunately for Carl if you set the G at three semitones the others will usually be close and even right sometimes but the angled claw BS is total BS.

The Carl Verheyen set up where you actually set the pitch on the G and the others will do what ever they do regardless of anything you do. Other that the action and intonation adjustments you have no way of altering relative pitch change of individual strings on ANY trem with the exception of the Steinberger Transtrems. Fortunately for Carl if you set the G at three semitones the others will usually be close and even right sometimes but the angled claw BS is total BS.

I don't know if I am lucky, but I just have to adjust one string. e.g.: 2 semitones at the second string, and I automatically get 2 semitones at the 1st string and 3 semitones at the 3rd string when fully pulling the bar up

Back
Top Bottom