Strat tone controls (how are you wiring yours?)

6L6C

Power User
Title pretty much says it:
What I have done: one control for the bridge middle pickup wide open and the other control for the neck. Didn’t bond with this too well found the middle pickup too bright when in middle position
(so pretty much thinking, I like all pickups to a tone control)
Next thing I have done: Volume, master tone (all pickups), and a blender pot (for bridge/neck) This I like but getting that itch to return to two tone controls. (also putting in different pickups).

So I’m thinking either—
Control for bridge, and other control for middle and neck or ---
Control for bridge and middle and other control for neck
What are you guys up to??

John

Last edited:
I suppose a lot has to do with the pickups in the Strat. Personally, I love the open middle pickup (tone control moved to bridge pickup), it is now useable with the Kinmans in my Strat. I also have the "50's Mod" tone wiring in the same Strat; tone controls straight to the 'output' lug rather than the 'input' lug of the volume control.

@unix-guy
Made the corrections, and it just hit me!

Busting my balls about grammar and you didn't even contribute to the thread!! :mad::mad:

You ball buster you------- :):)

I suppose a lot has to do with the pickups in the Strat. Personally, I love the open middle pickup (tone control moved to bridge pickup), it is now useable with the Kinmans in my Strat. I also have the "50's Mod" tone wiring in the same Strat; tone controls straight to the 'output' lug rather than the 'input' lug of the volume control.
As of right now I'm leaning towards, one tone for neck and the other for bridge and middle, maybe in the future put in a push pull. And take that middle pickup out of the tone circuit if I feel the need. As for the 50's wiring right there with you, have it on most of my guitars.

I usually don't bother with tone controls at all. I know there are whole tribes of axe men who use them to great effect, and more power to them, but for me, anything that makes my guitar sound darker and muddier and which takes away from its clearness is not something I desire. So in my guitar builds I either go for 1 volume only, or 1 volume and 1 tone knob, cause it can be fun to fiddle with a tone knob when you're interacting with a crazy fuzz.

I have a tone pot dedicated for the bridge pickup and the other tone pot dedicated for the neck and middle pickup. I like to roll off the highs of the bridge so as to get a sweet sound but not too bright. I like to keep the neck and middle crisp. I have a Suhr Classic with the ML pickups. Works great for me.

1 vol 1 tone with everything bumped towards the pickup jack. I still manage to bump the tone knob which is annoying. But I leave everything on 10 since what I'm playing uses picking dynamics instead of guitar setting dynamics.

Back
Top Bottom