Strat Through Class A w/Top Boost Stack

Genghis

Power User
This goes back a while, but I think Scott Peterson posted a tip about using the standard Class A amp with the Top Boost tone stack. (Forgive me if it was someone else... I'd like to give credit where credit is due.) I finally tried and really like this combo.

I recorded a jam track with it this past weekend and wanted to share it with the group. For the lead I boosted it just a hair with the blues overdrive and I think it really sings nicely. It has a much smoother kind of liquid tone than you get with the standard tone stack. Thanks Scott for posting that tip. (And if it was someone else, please correct me so I know who to thank.)

AC 30 and Strat

Twas my idea to use the Class A with the Top Boost tone stack, though I doubt it was all that original. Track sounds great.

Thanks guys. And thanks Scott for posting the suggestion. I generally play more of a rock and metal style, but I've been trying to nail a nice edge of breakup tone since I got the Axe-FX. (It came with version 5.0) I've tried Plexis, the Fenders, AC30 both normal and Top Boost, a whole slew of boutique amps and I've gotten some good tones, but that little trick with the changing the tone stack of the Class A to Top Boost really opened up the sound I was looking for.

Mike Oldfield... that's interesting. I had forgotten about his music. Listening to some on YouTube as I type. Really cool stuff.

Thanks for checking out it out.

Back
Top Bottom