Strat replacement pickups

Kelleys Heroes

Experienced
I have never swapped out pickups on a guitar, but as I recently had the frets redone on my first guitar, a hard tail 1977 strat, I was hoping to breathe new life into it with better sounding pickups. I've researched online, but mostly I come up with lists of purchase links. Anyone with experience doing this, or suggestions?

I like the sound of '63 and '64 strat pickups. I use my neck pickup for straight ahead Jazz sounds, bridge for flat out Richard Thompson piercing (but not shrill) leads, in-between sounds you might call Danny Korchmar-like. I don't try to emulate specific guitarist tones, but those sort of describe what world I'm in. I also have a Jeff Beck strat and don't really care for the noiseless pickups too much, though that is one of my two main guitars. The '77 strat pickups just seem a little thin, though I suppose switching from my main guitar, a '60 RI LP, may just make them seem that way by comparison.

I replaced the pickups on several Strats. None improved the sound of what I had to where I was glad I bought them. Mind you, I wasn't going from cheap ones to expensive ones.

Back
Top Bottom