Strat Position 5 Noise

Muzick

Experienced
Good evening everyone,

I've got an Strat making a lot of electricial feedback noise when on position 5 (neck) and position 3 (middle). I'm not great with guitar maintenance aside from changing strings and cleaning it. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Thanks!

Do you have noiseless pickups or standard/true single coils? If single coils, does the noise change as you move closer to or away from devices like computer monitors which produce RF interference? That's normal. If not, you might have a grounding problem--does it change depending on whether you are touching the strings or a control on the pickguard?

If by "electrical feedback noise" you mean hum and electrical interference, that's normal for a strat in these positions. If you want to keep your pickups, the only solution is more distance between your guitar and the intereference sources (usually musical equipment). Also, you should be able to find a pointg of lowest interference by facing the guitar in different directions.

you didn't mention any noise in bridge position...is the bridge a humbucker or hum cancelling?
Can you also describe the noise? Hum? buzz? hiss? etc etc? Or record it?

with strats, or both mine anyway, this is normal.
...and usually no noise in the 1st position is normal also.
however it usually only occurred at home while sitting very close to other
electrical equipment. never was a problem on stage.
good luck

Do you have noiseless pickups or standard/true single coils? If single coils, does the noise change as you move closer to or away from devices like computer monitors which produce RF interference? That's normal. If not, you might have a grounding problem--does it change depending on whether you are touching the strings or a control on the pickguard?

Yes, position 5 and 3 are single coils. Although Position 4 does not make noise at all... and isn't that a combination of the neck and middle pickup?

Yes, the noise does tend to dissipate as I move further away from electrical devices.... but position 4 is silent basically, and position 5 (hum bucker) make a bit of noise but not much.

It does not change when I'm touching the strings. The "buzz" does become less significant when turning the volume knob down.

So this is sounding like the natural issue with the pickup? The reason why I'm concerned with this is because so many people mention how 'quite' the axe II is... but buzz shines right on through when I'm not actively playing. Also when I'm trying to sustain the note/chord I'm playing, it starts to become audible as the sustain dissipates.

Thanks!

If by "electrical feedback noise" you mean hum and electrical interference, that's normal for a strat in these positions. If you want to keep your pickups, the only solution is more distance between your guitar and the intereference sources (usually musical equipment). Also, you should be able to find a pointg of lowest interference by facing the guitar in different directions.

I've noticed that when I point the guitar in different directions, it does become much more quite.... and I'm recording right in front of my monitors so I'm sure that's not helping lol.

you didn't mention any noise in bridge position...is the bridge a humbucker or hum cancelling?
Can you also describe the noise? Hum? buzz? hiss? etc etc? Or record it?

It's definitely a buzz... like an electricity buzz noise. I'll record it later tonight so I can be more accurate.

My bridge position is a humbucker.

Thanks!

with strats, or both mine anyway, this is normal.
...and usually no noise in the 1st position is normal also.
however it usually only occurred at home while sitting very close to other
electrical equipment. never was a problem on stage.
good luck

Thanks for the input!

Sounds like a ground problem, thought it is common for single coils to make noise,position 4 doesn't make as much noise cause its the middle and neck pickup ,kind of hum-bucking. Try another outlet in the room preferably on another circuit , could be to close to computer, monitor .all that makes a difference. or just play hum-buckers:lol

Positions 2 and 4 are combinations of single coil pickups on standard starts, but newer models use a RWRP (reverse wound, reverse polarity) middle pickup, so the pickups together cancel EMI.

Stratman all my life-Normal for sure. No need to record it-it's a Strat. I have 3 of them.The 2 and 4 are hum cancelling positions. You just have to find the right spot. I sit right in front of my Studio Monitors and all is well. Of course I cannot do that with a mega volume Gain preset, but I have no problems with USA Leads 1 and 2, Shiva lead, ODS100 and Blanknleeds. I mainly use the wrecker and fenders, but I love the others I mentioned and more.

Back
Top Bottom