Strat Players

neale dunham

Experienced
Having been a PRS player for many years, I finally had a strange urge to buy a Strat??? (Must be a Midlife Crisis thing).

Anyhow, its surprising how much of a completely different beast the Strat is to the PRS, so I am on the search for any Strat players out there that can point me in the direction of some decent tones.

Mainly looking for:

1. Clean/ Rhythm.
2.Early edge of break up.
3.Crunch/Overdrive and then a Lead sound.

So four really good sounds in total.

The Strat I have is an American Standard with all 3 pickups circa 7 ohms (so not very powerful).

Some amps to try or even Presets to begin to tweak would be great.

Give me your best shot! :)

Thanks.

Having been a PRS player for many years, I finally had a strange urge to buy a Strat??? (Must be a Midlife Crisis thing).

Anyhow, its surprising how much of a completely different beast the Strat is to the PRS, so I am on the search for any Strat players out there that can point me in the direction of some decent tones.

Mainly looking for:

1. Clean/ Rhythm.

The Strat I have is an American Standard with all 3 pickups circa 7 ohms (so not very powerful).

Thanks.
PRS Guitars | Fiore - 2021

PRS Guitars | Silver Sky - 2021

Wow!

Those are some beautiful guitars Skate right there but I guess I shoulda mentioned I'm kinda looking more for Axe 3 tones to suit a Strat rather than a PRS version of a Strat but you've certainly got me thinking now. Ha! if only I could afford another one...

Try some of the fender and friedman factory presets. I think my strat preset had an AC20 haha.

Wow!

Those are some beautiful guitars Skate right there but I guess I shoulda mentioned I'm kinda looking more for Axe 3 tones to suit a Strat rather than a PRS version of a Strat but you've certainly got me thinking now. Ha! if only I could afford another one...

Silver sky is based off an early 60's fender iirc.

Wow!

The Silver Sky is a better vintage Strat. It actually feels and sounds like a real vintage Strat. I have played several real 50's and 60's era Strats.
Don't get too focused on brand names. Also I was a Start players for years and still own at least one Fender. And would highly recommend the PRS quality over other makers any day.
Also a guitars appearance should always be secondary consideration.

Have tried the Ac20 and whilst I does sound great it still lacks a little bit of gain due to my weedy pickups but still does Stella job. I know I can throw a pedal in there to spice things up. Sometimes the mods move the threads so Ill wait and see what happens but yes should have posted there I guess. My bad.

Thanks for the Preset Belfast Il definitely give it a try and give you some feedback on it. :cool:

Never judge a book by its cover Skate....you are absolutely 100% correct there!

Preset#:000 ‘59 Bassman
I was a PRS hamburger guy all the way.

Started playing strats a little bit and went and bought a custom s-type from Laurent Brondell and Chuck Thornton. Love it. String separation is so much better than the PRS.

Different animals. I love my Strat - I love my PRS.

Heck, I just finished playing with a strat three different fenders; vibroluxe, double verb, 59 bassman as well as FAS modern plexi 6550 and whatever is in Fremen’s drone arris preset along with the echoplex Junior delays.lol

tip: Virtual capo a half step down on ‘59 bssmn, scene two, and play Thin Lizzy

You're in luck! PRS currently makes the best Strat money can buy! :D

Try these factory presets:

• VIBRATO LUX (Cliff just said that the exact amp Knopfler used on that album about limbs was the one they model for this one)
  • TREMOLO DELUXE (My personal favorite factory preset for clean Strat sounds)
  • AC-20 DELUXE (All the scenes on this preset are amazing overdrive sounds with a Strat)

Have fun!

Mainly looking for:

1. Clean/ Rhythm.

Thanks.
1. 65 Bassguy Normal (clean, Hendrix-style rhythm, early edge of breakup with the volume control on your guitar)
2. Plexi 50W High 1 (early breakup to crunchy edge)
3. Plexi 100W Jumped (lead)

The Fractal AxeFX-III and FM3 units are incredibly responsive to volume control on your guitar, so you can get a wide range of tones with one amp model by using your volume control.

I'll post my strat preset after baby goes to bed. Didnt tweak for cygnus, enjoyed it before lol.

Yeah just switched back from Gibson to a Strat with my Axe FX3 MK2. And holy shit, there is a LOT of tones in the axe unit that i was missing out on with just the gibson. And this new Ultra Strat with gen 5 noiseless is something special. Texas Tea! :) And the neck, oh my! _200901195647_CBR-1000 (4)_full.jpg

Nice! Texas Tea finish, right?
Yeah with the alloy pick gaurd. enjoying it a lot, very fancy, dont want to scratch it. haha. BUT, i just have to play it. The noiseless vintage pickups are great when you use the higher gain amps in the axe unit too, allows you to play those amps like you are using humbuckers, stays so quiet yet with the mojo magic in them, it seems as if you are using the best custom shop vintage single coil pickups for the blues etc. the noiseless technology part doesnt interfere with the open vintage tone. A good buy indeed

Yeah with the alloy pick gaurd. enjoying it a lot, very fancy, dont want to scratch it. haha. BUT, i just have to play it. The noiseless vintage pickups are great when you use the higher gain amps in the axe unit too, allows you to play those amps like you are using humbuckers, stays so quiet yet with the mojo magic in them, it seems as if you are using the best custom shop vintage single coil pickups for the blues etc. the noiseless technology part doesnt interfere with the open vintage tone. A good buy indeed
Congratulations on getting a guitar you really like!

I have two of the Ultras and a Ultra Luxe. I'm holding on to the Luxe and am letting the other two go soon. They're all great, but I need to thin the herd.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom