Strat Patches

Satch4u3

Experienced
Anyone have any good Strat patches they would care to share? Just picked up my first brand new American Standard Strat a couple days ago and am having some issues dialing in a good one to use over FOH for gigging. I have searched around on Axe-Change and have found some good others not so good with my guitar and hands. Any patches or advice dialing in a strat on the Axe Fx 2 would be greatly appreciated. :D

I have mainly been using my LP but I initiated the Axe with my Eric Johnson strat and was completely blown away by preset 25/26 ( i am going by memory here) the Vibro King maybe, this was for me an great tone. If you haven't checked it out already, maybe a good jumping off point?

I found a good number of the stock presets worked really well with a Strat vs. a humbucker guitar (les Paul in my case).. so you might try starting with the stock presets depending on what tone you're going for.

That said, what kind of Strat tone are you going for? If you can be more specific, that might help with getting some direction. I like a classic Marshall tone with Strats.. you might try using the Jumpered plexi, both volumes around 5 to start, master at 10 of course, dime B/M/T/P and then play with some of the typical 4x12 Marshall cab IR's until you land on one you like. This will depend on how much gain you like to work with and your pickups, etc. of course. I like to run things with a little extra treble and use the tone pot on the bridge pickup turned down slightly so that the neck pickup balances out with enough clarity with it's tone full up. I really like the Swart amp model as well.. really there are way too many killer options on the Axe at this point.

I adjust the volume/tone on the guitar constantly and hybrid pick w/ fingers and pick or just fingers a lot, trying to get a lot of dynamics. Single coils in general seem to work for me better in this way (than buckers). But it depends on the amp and tone I'm going for.

I am looking for a medium to high gain sound. Something versatile and controllable with the guitars volume knob. Right now I am using the Friedman HBE sim with a Les Paul Custom. Love that amp! This is my first single coil guitar and I am feeling like a fish out of the water with it. haha A very nice clean sound seems to be easily obtainable but the dirt needs a little coaching.

I am looking for a medium to high gain sound. Something versatile and controllable with the guitars volume knob. Right now I am using the Friedman HBE sim with a Les Paul Custom. Love that amp! This is my first single coil guitar and I am feeling like a fish out of the water with it. haha A very nice clean sound seems to be easily obtainable but the dirt needs a little coaching.

I'm new to the Strat world as well and having the same challenges. From what I've found it's not as much about the patch as it is about pickup selection and the volume and tone controls... I'm still trying to figure it out...

So check out this thread period, Guitarjon has done some incredible tone matching. With respect to the strat question scroll down on page 5 http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...arjons-tonematch-preset-request-thread-5.html

and find the preset for the Suhr Badger which is referenced on page 3 (checkout the video link). While this isn't in any way a med to high gain sound, I fooled around with the preset (Input Drive) with both my strat and my G&L and was getting some very warm crunch. So maybe this is a good starting point to build on.

Anyone have any good Strat patches they would care to share? Just picked up my first brand new American Standard Strat a couple days ago and am having some issues dialing in a good one to use over FOH for gigging. I have searched around on Axe-Change and have found some good others not so good with my guitar and hands. Any patches or advice dialing in a strat on the Axe Fx 2 would be greatly appreciated. :D

When it comes to Strat tones... Gamedojo is da' man!
CLICK HERE

Some of his fw14 cleans HERE

I've been battling the last couple of weeks with my strat and some gainier sounds- everything I had was dialed in for my Gretsch, and the drive just wasn't translating the way that I wanted it with the Strat. I ended up starting from scratch- I stopped trying to get my Gretsch patches to simply respond the same way, and it wasn't the Axes fault- Not every rig sounds great with every guitar in the analog world too.
One formula that seems to have worked well was experimenting with the Dumble sounds with the Strat- they're nice and thick, so you can put a low output Strat into them and it doesn't sound weak. I used the OD2 model, lowered the gain and input drive, bumped up the input trim just a little, and raised the master quite a bit. That last part- raising the master- that was the key. I love the sound of the Dumble power amp drive! There are plenty of ways to add drive to the whole rig, so experiment a bit, and I bet you might find some nice sounds.

That being said, in the old days, I could never get a strat to sound right through a Marshall, and apparently I still can't! (Unless there's a fuzz in the mix- that's a whole different story.)

When I get home, I'll try to post the Dumble patch. It might help, and any suggestions are welcome.

Oh, and by the way, if you're just learning Strats, in my experience, the middle pickup plays better with gain than the neck pickup, and you may want to think about modding the guitar so the bridge pickup can be controlled with the tone knob. This made a totally unusable pickup a fantastic one on my guitar.

If you're really after gain, try the FAS Modern patch in the presets with the bridge pickup. It's wicked!

View attachment Dumble.syx
Here's that Dumble patch. I have it set up with Exp1 controlling the volume pedal, Exp2 is the wah, and Exp 3 controls Input Drive and takes down the output volume just a shade, so if you use a different pedal setup, you'll want to change those. This is a patch I designed for low to medium gain tones, but I also assign the boost to a footswitch, so it'll burn when the boost is turned on. Oh- and I just put a generic delay in there- it isn't really set up yet, so there's my disclaimer for a bad sounding delay. I also put a little shimmer setup in there as well that I sometimes use at church. Enjoy, and any suggestions are welcome!

I find that for clean tones I like to use a compressor with my strat to even the dynamics out a bit.
I based my settings on some settings that yek posted somewhere.
Try the pedal 2 comp before the (clean) amp.
Set the attack at the fastest setting, the release almost at the fastest setting.
And set the compressor to do about 2 to 4 db gain reduction on peaks.
This should be a good starting point...
Also dual amps can help to make your guitar sound bigger.
Maybe I'll make a patch later for you.....

Jamaica sounds really nice right about now!

I was supposed to host an observation night for my students for the lunar eclipse tonight, but they're forecasting snow in Chicago tonight! So no telescopic fun around here. Anyways- Jamaica must've been great!

BTW- used the Dumble patch with my Strat on Sunday, and it sounded great through the PA. Got a really nice comment from the other guitar player, who was managing the sound board. Any suggestions from the experts here are more than welcome!;)

All the patches provided sound good. A really good start for me for sure. I especially liked the Suhr Badger! Regarding the mod that you guys recommend for the bridge and tone control... Is it possible that the new Fender American Strats come with this mod already in place?? I took off my pickguard last night to do this mod and it appears it already has this jumper wire installed. I referenced this for the mod => Strat Bridge Pickup Tone Control

Is this the one you guys are referring too??

Back
Top Bottom