Strat John Mayer-esque tones, different gain stages

Guitarjon

Fractal Fanatic
I recently got a new stratocaster.
It's a surf green american special strat loaded with texas special pick-ups.
IT's the perfect strat for me.
Vintage bridge, Texas specials and a maple neck with Jumbo frets.
I'm a huge John Mayer fan so I tried to come a bit close to his tones in a broad way so it's not perfect but it made me come up with some cool sounds that sound great with my strat.
Every patch has a different amount of gain.
There are 2 clean presets, one is pushed a bit more.
Then there are a couple of boost presets with different gradations of gain.
They work really well with my guitar but you may need to adjust the gain/input trim of compressor settings for your guitar.
I like them a lot and hope someone out there digs them too...
Here is a clip I just made, just a sloppy jam but it showcases the tones/guitar well I hope.
Enjoy and let me know what you think of the patches!

https://soundcloud.com/guitarjon/axe-fx

Man that was great! Love the tones and playing. Very similar to a lot of what I go for both playing and tonewise. I'm still looking for a killer strat, but when I find it I'll plan on using your patches as a jumping off point.

I know you're a Mayer fan, but really it sounds like a lot of Jimi and Stevie! Anyway, you sound really great. THANKS FOR SHARING!

Man that was great! Love the tones and playing. Very similar to a lot of what I go for both playing and tonewise. I'm still looking for a killer strat, but when I find it I'll plan on using your patches as a jumping off point.

I know you're a Mayer fan, but really it sounds like a lot of Jimi and Stevie! Anyway, you sound really great. THANKS FOR SHARING!

Thanks for the kind words!
Glad you dig the tones!

Sweet tones and playing. I have a Warmoth SRV strat that I put together with Texas Specials so I'm gonna try out your presets for some inspiration. Thanks.

Incredible job man. I'm a huge Mayer fan stuck in a metal heads body. :) He's one of my favorite guitar players, singer/ songwriters and lyricist. And he was incredibly funny when he was on Twitter. Great job on the tones and the playing. One of my favorite riffs of his is the opening riff to Neon. It's some weird tuning though if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
I believe the tones have improved since fw12, so dont forget to update your firmware.
The tube screamer seems to have more life to it now!

That sounded amazing! Will definitely have to download the patches. Makes me want to take out the humbucker in my strat and convert it back to SSS pups. Since I bought the axe fx I've not played my strat much because I can dial so many sounds for my go to Gretsch guitar but you've made me rediscover the love of the strat I had all those years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very interesting presets. Work perfectwith my Strat. They will stay in my bank. I especially like the "breakup" one. Thanks for sharing.

Brother these pre sets just bumped my go to SRV and KWS ones!! I use maybe 1 out of 50 shared here and yours was a winner. Not saying i have a superior ear or anything. What works in someones rig may not in mine. Using my Suhr classic your pre sets with a slight tweak to tame the top end a skosh and a couple of other slight things and dang,...thank you for sharing!
Don

Tried these with my tele and sounded nothing like your clips. Not saying it should, just shows how different my tele is from your strat I guess.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I've been looking for a sweet strat for a long time. Well I found a used Tom Anderson a few days ago! I should have it in my hands next week and I can't wait to try your patches again with a proper strat. No idea if it will sound similar as the pickups are not Texas specials, but I'm very interested to find out.

Back
Top Bottom