Strat guru's trem help needed

mwd

Power User
I want to get a Babicz tremolo for my handmade strat style guitar. It was made by my late friend who was an excellent luthier. Babicz offers one for 2 point which seems to have a post/blade type set up and 6 point.

In looking at my current trem it is mounted by 2 outer screws that don't seem to be post yet it has 6 screw holes on the body.

I am kinda' lost on which one might be the correct model to order. They have:

2 Point Original Tremolo
Strat Tremolo
2 Point Z Series
6 Point Z Series (narrow & wide)

My current setup is as follows:

marler_strat_001.jpg

marler_strat_026.jpg

Could anyone guide me on the correct selection? Many thanks.

I want to get a Babicz tremolo for my handmade strat style guitar. It was made by my late friend who was an excellent luthier. Babicz offers one for 2 point which seems to have a post/blade type set up and 6 point.

In looking at my current trem it is mounted by 2 outer screws that don't seem to be post yet it has 6 screw holes on the body.

I am kinda' lost on which one might be the correct model to order. They have:

2 Point Original Tremolo
Strat Tremolo
2 Point Z Series
6 Point Z Series (narrow & wide)

My current setup is as follows:

marler_strat_001.jpg

marler_strat_026.jpg

Could anyone guide me on the correct selection? Many thanks.

What is the string spacing and stud spacing of your current bridge? Once you get those numbers, you'll know which one to choose. It will be one of the 2-point trems, not the 6 point.
-
Austin

Standard hole spacing for a vintage style Strat is 2.22" or 0.444" between each of the 6 holes (center to center). Modern 2 post USA Fender trems have the same hole spacing, 2.22" center to center. This applies to USA and Mexico standard Strats and their clones. I believe some Asian made Strats like Squiers use a narrower 6-hole spacing so make sure you measure what you've got.

Well I'm a bit concerned. Seems the Babicz bridges are made for 2-1/16 string spacing. My current tremolo is a Gotoh 1088 which is 2-1/8 string spacing. My pivot studs are not the insert type but rather wood screws and are 2-3/16 center to center (2.1875"). The Babicz pivot studs are variable from 2.150" to 2.35"

I have a drill press but I would have to drill for the inserts and I would be converting from 2-1/8 to 2-1/16 string spacing. Not sure how big a deal this would be.

marler_strat_post.jpg

If the holes are the same I'm not seeing why I couldn't use the 6 hole model since the pivots are not inserts.

Most Gotoh Strat trems I've seen use 56mm post spacing which is about 2.20" They work fine with standard Strat hole layouts.

You could use the 6 hole wide spacing trem, but you'd have to plug and redrill the outer holes since your current stud screws are most likely larger than the 6 vintage style screws. Drilling out larger for the 2 post trem would be easier.

Yes 56mm is correct. Just a bit nervous about drilling big holes and I'm a gazillion miles from a luthier. I've seen the Super Vee that is held by 4 screws so I didn't know if I needed the outers for structure or operations. I don't know how long the 6 hole screws are but I thought they might grab some wood for cosmetics on the outers. Just seemed easier if it would work.

I agree with Mr Fender.............About the 2 point being the easier way to go, plugging the holes and drilling again seems unnecessary. Unless, of course you prefer the 6 screw bridge. Among my friends and fellow players it's kind of 50/50 as to which they prefer. I myself prefer the 2 point system.
I do think you can go either way with your setup. Plugging the holes and re-drilling I would have to believe that the strength of the 4 middle screws would be plenty strong even though the 2 outer are plugged and drilled.
I would use all six though.

Very intriguing design btw. Never saw that before your post. wondering if I can just replace my saddles with these on my existing 2 point on my 2006 Deluxe USA Strat.
Going to check the FCH website

I have played the system on a friends guitars. It is a stellar system. By far more impactful replacing tune-o-matic bridges on Les Pauls but also great on Strats. The action and intonation adjustment precision is over the top.

They do sell saddle kits for the strat as well.

Instructions are a bit vague on the size of hole to drill for the pivot stud body inserts. The specs state the insert is .389 wide by .800 tall.

Any idea what size drill bit that needs to be?

Completed my revamp of my Marler Strat Style. Babicz Bridge with JBE Joe Barden Pickups and Schaller Locking Tuners.

Marler_Strat_V2_001.jpeg

Marler_Strat_V2_002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom