Straplocks: Dunlop or Schaller

gigawatt

Experienced
What's you preference? I use both, Schallers on my Strat/Les Paul type guitars, and Dunlops on my V's, with caution, extreme caution, let me explain. In my opinion the Schallers are stronger, more reliable, and you know when they're locked, but are a little more difficult to attach in most cases. The singer guitar player in my old band was using them and I noticed he had the open side of the "horseshoe" facing down. I just thought omg that's just destined to fail so I suggest he flip them over, that way if that springy piston does fail it will at least have the horseshoe to hold it up hopefully before you start jumping around like a fool. So that's my take on the Schallers, they do have their drawbacks which I'll get to in a minute, but only in specific cases.

The Dunlops, well the flush mount version is really nice with certain guitars oh say like V's :) Unlike the Schallers that stick out about an inch and would poke you in the gut, screwed into the back of your V, half of the Dunlop goes into your guitar leaving just a little nipple and dome shaped washer sticking out of the back of your strap that's hardly noticeable. Also, your precious V doesn't lean forward as much either, solid comfort. The drawback, you better double, no triple check that it's locked in place. I had a like new Jackson RR1T with black pinstripes on the bevels front and back, cooler than Randy's personal pinstriped racing striped Concorde V, IMO. Well I went to put the strap on (giggity) one day b4 I was going to practice and I didn't make sure it was locked in place. Well as if you couldn't guess my $1400 guitar (that was a lot back then ;) went falling to the carpeted concrete basement floor and it was just over. That was the only time I ever damaged a tip on a V, and this would make up for about a hundred. It took a chunk out of the lower fin about 2 1/2 inches long by 3/4 inces long. I only had the guitar about two weeks.:( I was heartbroken, I couldn't even look at it and sold it as soon as I could for $800. The next day it was back up on ebay for an even higher price by the turkey that bought it from me...wtf? I still use Dunlops for their benifits with V's and havent had an incident since, that was around 2006, but I am very careful. One other thing about the Dunlop Flush Mount buttons, if you forget your strap and your gig is in less time than you have to drive home and get it, you are absolutely, positively, without a doubt, SCREWED! Unless you plan on sitting down for your gig.

So that's my experience with the two, here's another "experience" I snatched up in a "straplock" search:

:oops::oops: In the next post :oops::oops:

Damn, why do my OP's always turn into an essay? Now there's nothing left for you all to talk about :rolleyes:.
Except your preference, which is it? Dunlop or Schaller? take the poll above if ya feel like it or just post about it.

Last edited:
My other guitar player was using strap locks that use a pin that inserts into a button , with little steel balls that move in and out to "lock". Well , it didn't LOCK , and his LP fell 4' to the floor. Chipped the headstock on the top corner. UGLY scar. Took it to a great luthier ( with the piece) - now you can't tell it was damaged. He installed a set of schaller straplocks shortly after.

See?

I strongly prefer Schallers, for a few reasons:

1) As you noted, they’re made so that, if the locking mechanism fails, they stil catch your guitar before it can leave the strap end.

2) The only way to unlock a Schallers is by pulling on the end piece. That requires a deliberate act — it’s very hard to do it accidentally. Dunlops, on the other hand, release by pressing in on the button. If you bump that button into anything — say, the corner of a table or the end of a mic stand — the mechanism could unlock and drop your guitar.

3) the design of the Schallers keeps the strap attachment point close to the guitar. On Dunlops, the attachment point extends further out from the guitar, increasing the transverse torque on the screw. That kind of force contributes to the screw working itself out of its hole over time, and that can brin* a nasty mid-gig surprise.

4) The Schallers are just more sturdily built.

I strongly prefer Schallers, for a few reasons:

1) As you noted, they’re made so that, if the locking mechanism fails, they stil catch your guitar before it can leave the strap end.

2) The only way to unlock a Schallers is by pulling on the end piece. That requires a deliberate act — it’s very hard to do it accidentally. Dunlops, on the other hand, release by pressing in on the button. If you bump that button into anything — say, the corner of a table or the end of a mic stand — the mechanism could unlock and drop your guitar.

3) the design of the Schallers keeps the strap attachment point close to the guitar. On Dunlops, the attachment point extends further out from the guitar, increasing the transverse torque on the screw. That kind of force contributes to the screw working itself out of its hole over time, and that can brin* a nasty mid-gig surprise.

4) The Schallers are just more sturdily built.

I agree with all of what you said except #3, the difference is only a couple milimeters and if the Dunlops are flush mounted the strap is right up against your guitar. Which make them good for V's where the strap button is pointing at your gut, and that "globe" on top of the Schallers is going to get you in the gut. Oh and FYI the Dunlops come with thicker screws, just try screwing one into a maple neck thru :mad::mad:. What would Arnold say? oh yes; AAARRRGGGHHH!

I hate Schallers. The threaded hex nuts have loosened more than once on me resulting in a last second grab to keep my guitar from falling. Since switching to Dunlops--not a single problem.

Last edited:
I do the socket wrench trick that others have mentioned, but haven't ever done the Loctite. Haven't needed it... yet. Might have to add that to the routine though.

Schaller for sure. Something about having the guitar sitting in the housing makes me feel much more confident. If the Dunlop style fails, there's no backup. If you like the Dunlop style but aren't confident in the button, check out the Ernie Ball strap locks. They have two opposing buttons that need to be pressed to take the lock out, as well as put in. Kind of bulky but would be my choice for that style of lock
P04600.png

As far as the nut coming loose, I use a wrench but still check them each time I put a strap on a guitar. At the end of the day it's still a removable fastener and no matter how tight you get it, there's always a chance of it working loose over time.

I hate Schallers. The threaded hex nuts have loosened more than once on me resulting in a last second grab to keep my guitar from falling. Since switching to Dunlops--not a single problem.

Yeah that's happened to me a couple of times, def gotta keep an eye on that.

I use a 5/8 open end wrench for the horseshoe shaped side and a 14mm (I believe) box ended wrench for the other side, you almost need 3 hands. Problem is I've had to tighten them so much it mangles the strap and opens up its button hole. Oh that's another thing, the Dunlops fit through the strap hole easier than the Schallers. I just received a new Fender black leather strap as a gift and the holes are only 3/16" big!

I use Schallers, like the mechanism, dab of loctite (or superglue at a pinch) holds the nut just fine.

The only thing..they do wear out, at least mine have. I think what goes on is the spring-loaded lock pin thing seems to wear and get a bit of "slop", or maybe the whole thing gets a bit worn around the edges, just enough so that if you get it at the right angle and jiggle/take the weight off the strap, it'll just slip off somehow.

Never dropped the guitar because of the horseshoe shape etc, but sometimes happens when going from sitting to standing, the strap will just come loose off the button. Likewise sometimes when repositioning the guitar while standing, you know having a bit of a shrug and get the weight off your shoulder for moment, that strap'll just suddenly swing free.

Never figured put how to make it happen on purpose though.

Anyway, this has happened on two sets of strap locks so far..over about 25 years(?) maybe.

Never tried Dunlops.

Or Grolschs!

Back
Top Bottom