Strangest things you’ve seen at your gigs

So you'd play, then there would be a strip act, then you'd play a few more tunes?
Yap, we played the gig, than went down the stage for a short break and as soon as we cleared the stage, the owner (Huge fat tattooed Russian bilker) went to the stage, grabbed the mic from our shocked singer and shouted to the crowd “are you ready for some more?” and then a girl shooed up, etc. etc….

Needless to say we looked at each other, scratching our heads, trying to understand if we are dreaming or there is actually a naked girl walking all over the stage, near our gear aaahhhhh.

The stripper finished her act, than we went up again for few more songs, just another day at the office.

Not very exciting story, but it still makes me laugh. I'm playing a gig in a bar. No stage. In the middle of playing, this guy comes up to me and starts a conversation about music, as if I was sitting at the bar. I try to be polite as I'm focusing on playing, but the guy just keeps on talking to me with absolutely no regard for our performance. It's like he's totally oblivious to the fact that I'm playing. He's asking me questions, telling me about his experience, etc. It was the oddest thing. Finally the bouncer see's this and yells at the guy, "Steve, I told you to leave the bands alone"! The guy says "goodnight" and walks away. Apparently he's a harmless local who marches to the beat of his own drum. To this day, sometimes the singer will walk over to me during a solo, and start talking to me about the news, sports, etc. lol.

I may have told you guys the story.
I was in the audience at a famous guitar player's show in Vegas. He walked out of the stage in the middle of the song, went backstage, walked out of the building and collapsed. He had a heart attack and died, right there.
Well sort of, he got revived and still lives today. We all know him. :D

When I first started playing shows with my band we took any show we could get. We were booked in a small bar and only a day beforehand we get the notice that the venue was over booked and the show had to be moved to the owner's house. We found out that the show was moved because they were having a gem show in the venue instead. Yes a gem show.... like rocks and minerals. But it gets worse.

We decide to play the show anyway so we get to this small brick house in a rough area in St. Louis. We met the people and started loading our stuff into the basement where we'll be playing. I was the first one in and theres a huge black pig at least 300lbs inside where they have a wooden pig pen built into the basement. I go back out and just cant stop laughing telling my bandmates there's a pig in there. What?!? a pig? Yes. a literal pig. They set up a kiddie pool in the back yard and let him play and take a bath while we were playing. There was a total of maybe 15 people there including the bands and while we played almost everyone just stood outside and smoked cigarettes.

Now we always get to tell the story of the pig basement show. Totally worth it.

Ah the snake woman......
Another gig for the discerning motorcycle enthusiast (ahem). Before our set, a solo stripper act did her performance. This particular girl was very (Veh he he reee) experienced - you could tell ;-) ...anyway ... after getting her gear off and licking the backs of her knees for the audiences amusement, she grabs a snake...A python I think.... and... well... I know there are families reading this so let's just say 'a proportion of the snake got warm' ... a larger proportion than I thought would be possible.
Boy - I want to gig again.
Thanks
Pauly

Crack whore doing her thing for a fix by the loading back ingress/egress.Super sad and depressing way to start the night.

Not so much a story during a gig, but afterwards.

I was in two bands at the time, one of them that band which had the BDSM mistress at a gig, and we did a double gig, somewhere really up north in far away boonies of the Netherlands. And the drummer got really hammered afterwards, a combination of dope and beer. I saw when we were loading up the gear, I looked into his eyes and thought 'there is no way in hell you're going to sit in my car on the way back!'. I never forget those eyes. I even took a picture of it.

And yes, half an hour into the journey home we got a text from the other car that he had thrown up. Whilst sleeping no less. :D
But the final joke was on me, for we got home at 04:00, then offloading the gear so I was in my bed at 05:00. Only to awaken again at 17:15. 15 minutes after I was supposed to be ready to soundcheck at the next gig.

Another post gig drunk drummer story. I did a gig once in Sicily, in Catania. Lovely place, lovely people, just that they had booked our flight to be just a couple of hours after the show. So when it was time to leave I went looking for our drummer (different band, different drummer) I went looking through the audience, and there he was, together with some girls from the organization. And they had ambushed him with liquor. As in him leaning over backwards and them pouring two bottles of liquor into his mouth at the same time. So he was drunk as a skunk. And I had to sit next to him on the plane home. Luckily he's a seasoned drunk (he could even walk straight over a straight line) and hadn't done a joint, so no throwing up. So he was just obnoxiously happy go lucky for most of the plane ride.

Many years ago, my previous band (current one's been active 25 years!) played a show at the local Air Force base.

We were playing hard rock and metal in the bar on base where all the general enlisted folks came. The house was packed.

The singer decides to "spin" his mic overhead by the cable like a lasso. When he attempts to retrieve said spinning mic, he comes up with an empty XLR plug. The mic is gone!

A few seconds later, somebody brings him the SM57 from the front of the bathroom, which is about 50-60 feet directly in front of him.

Apparently, he managed to fire that mic at head level (the "stage" was not elevated) straight thru the crowd without hitting anyone!

Anyone remember Roger Daltrey from The Who also always flinging his mic around? I reckon this is why he has the mic and XLR plug wrapped around in duct tape.

Not a gig but I saw this at a David Allen Coe show about 15 or so years ago. DAC is playing and singing a song when his guitar player stepped up to him and tuned David's guitar as he was playing it. First and only time I've ever seen that at a show.

Reminds me of playing in bars when a good game is on TV, and all of the cheering is for the game, not the band.
Hahahah...this still happens to me at times. I always thank them profusely for their gratitude. Of course, no one is listening so it's really only funny to me, but it still feels good. I GOTTA stop booking shows at Buffalo Wild Wings! hahahah "Hey can you guys take a break so we can sing happy birthday?" Kidding about BW's but I'm sure that would be the case if one were to play there.

A friend's rock band hired me for the weekend to do lights or sound (can't remember) for an out of town gig. A male strip act was to open then the band plays out the night. So we're in the dressing room which opens onto the stage right wing.

The dance music is freaking loud in the dressing room and we're back there cutting up and cracking jokes. The bass player is being the jokster that he always is and dancing around like he's a stripper humping the air. Clothed of course.

He disappears into the dressing room restroom and comes out dancing with his hands waving above his head with his junk crammed into one of these clear water cooler cups. lol It looked like a brain in a jar bouncing around.

We tried to get him to run across stage like that. If alcohol had been involved at that point it may have happened.

2697-s.jpg
brain-in-jar-candle-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom