Strangest things you’ve seen at your gigs

Wow that brings back memories!

I once had a girl to girl groping session (Couple of strippers) between myself and the mic stand - bloody hard to remember the words :) We did a lot of work with a team of strippers for some reason.
A stabbing right in front of me on the dance floor one night...
A car doing donuts in front of the stage (outdoor gig) in the middle of the night.. showered a bunch of club motorcycles with dirt and stones - He learned a lesson that night.
Various punters trying to take over the stage.
Oh - and I just remembered ... We had a regulare Thursday night gig for years, and one of the regulars (who was a bit of a character) used to put a chair right in front of us, and stamp his feet OUT OF TIME for most of the gig. Man that used to put me off hahah.

Wow - we had a ton of fun.
Those were the days.
Thansk
Pauly

Had the strangest I’ve seen at our show at The House of Blues over the weekend. Pole dancers onstage with us. My dad and my stepmom came to see my Ozzy tribute for the first time and we end up having pole dancers onstage with us. They got two shows in one. LOL!

This one gig, first set, small bar, we’re a duo playing life on Mars by David Bowie.
...you know the line “take a look at the lawman beating up the wrong guy” and “as i ask you to focus on sailors fighting in the dance hall”...there’s 2 carhart jacketed drunks that fell off their barstools for a half hour and just kept beating the piss out of each other...rolling back and forth in front of us.

oh oh...another duo...playing at a new year’s eve party...the dance floor is packed, this was like the second time i was on stage...so this couple dancing in front of us...the husband collapsed, had a heart attack and died...strange

This one gig, first set, small bar, we’re a duo playing life on Mars by David Bowie.
...you know the line “take a look at the lawman beating up the wrong guy” and “as i ask you to focus on sailors fighting in the dance hall”...there’s 2 carhart jacketed drunks that fell off their barstools for a half hour and just kept beating the piss out of each other...rolling back and forth in front of us.

oh oh...another duo...playing at a new year’s eve party...the dance floor is packed, this was like the second time i was on stage...so this couple dancing in front of us...the husband collapsed, had a heart attack and died...strange
I guess that what they mean when they say you killed it last night?

Many years ago in D.C., a drunk and disgruntled girlfriend threw a shot of flaming Bacardi 151 proof rum on her beau. The guy was going crazy in front of us trying to knock down the flame but no one could see the alcohol flame. We just thought he was weird or having a seizure. An alert bartender jumped over the bar and tackled the guy. At the last second, I saw the flame, stopped playing and grabbed the singer to tell him that someone needed to call 911. The poor guy's burns were severe enough that an ambulance came. Cops were everywhere. The girlfriend was arrested a few minutes later at a bar down the street.

Many years ago, my friend who used to do juggling, decided to take his torches with him to a show, nothing wrong with that and a usual act he used to do @ outdoor shows / parties.
However this time there were 2 new things: it was indoor in a big club and for some reason he deiced to switch that night from kerosene to car fuel.

Long story short, the bucket with the car fuel was on the floor near him, at some point, one of the torches fell on the floor and apparently it was still flaming, as the bucket with car fuel was near, all the surface around was full with car fuel steam, the minute the torch touched the ground the surrounding area burst with a huge flame, my friend who was barefoot got his legs burn very heavily.
Lucky no one else was hurt as people were standing in a big circle around him when he was “doing his thing”.

Other shows? Hmmm, strip act before the encore was a typical situations in a hardcore Russian bikers club.

Somewhat envious about all these tales of strippers and swingers at gigs.

Strangest thing I've had, aside from an actual audience, was a guy the other week that looked like a Viking: 6 and a half foot tall - built like a brick outhouse - braided beard- wearing a fur coat.

Would have been fine had he not decided he would spend most of the first set clinging to the PA stack - literally face against the speaker grill for 50 minutes and legs clamped to the subs. Tried every one of the 'weird sound' patches that lurk in the AXE 2 to shift him. Even stopped the gig a couple of times to watch the bouncers try and peel him off but nothing so sod it - we just kept going.

Cliff - not sure if you've ever wanted to hear this but your product rocks even when being filtered through a Viking!!!!

Hehe.. you reminded me of a night at the Super bikes at Phillip Island... We were playing in a huge Marque (spelling?)... and in front of the stage was a largish dance floor, with a huge wodden pole in the middle of it, holding up part of the roof.
There was a guy who must have been at least 129 feet tall and 19 feet wide, with a pair of jeans, and a bandana on - nothing else. Anyway - this guy reckons he's a martial artist and wanted to be sure the other two or three thousand people there knew that. So - he's standing next to this big wooden pole punching it... again and again.. just punching this wooden pole... Then ... he must've wanted a rest so he approached the stage and beckoned to me... so... I tentatively walked over and he angrily said (imaging a monster talking to you who could snatch your life at a whim).." ARE YOU GUYS ANY GOOD???" ... In my littlest voice I replied ... "Well... I like to think so!". He replied "WELL YA FUCKEN BETTER BE!!!!" ... and went back to punching the pole.

Hahah... What a night that was.

Thanks
Pauly

Apparently, he managed to fire that mic at head level (the "stage" was not elevated) straight thru the crowd without hitting anyone!

Also, for this show, our young bassist with short hair decided to wear a (very realistic) wig to better fit our image - the rest of us were all seasoned hair farmers.

About halfway thru the set, one of his friends that was attending decided to just snatch it off his head as he walked by!

I'm laughing my ass off here. "Hair Farmers", that's a new one and the mic! Can you imagine that torpedo flying through the crowd at head level?!?! Normally the wig alone would be funny.

All good stories here! Loving this!

We had the cops called on us at a gig once, we were playing too loud and late at night (which in hindsight was stupid of us in the first place). It was an outdoors gig and there was a holiday park nearby, the people in the park were complaining about the music being too loud. The cops arrived and the company PR that hired us told us if we stopped playing then we wouldn't get paid - we had a couple of drinks in us already at that stage (and were young and naïve) so decided to play on.
We were literally surrounded by uniforms and I was expecting a full arrest but all they did in the end was cut the power to the venue and happily went on their way! :) Kudos and respect to the cops, they could have (should have) taken us all in but they didn't. We behaved after that.

We did a week gig at this bar that was located on a strip of bars and strip joints. It was the hangout for the strippers on break or after their shifts. After a day or two we got to know a few of them. Long story short, our other guitarists birthday was coming up. As a surprise gift, we decided to get him a lap dance - on stage. We cleared it with the owner (she had to wear at least a G-string and pasties - no pun intended).

So the night of, he was all spandexed out (80's). Oh also, he always played a black RR Jackson V. So at the end of the next to last song of the set, the lights went down, everyone cleared the stage, stage hand grabs his guitar and slaps a chair under his ass and runs away. Dance music starts, stage lights come up and there's this hot chick in a long trench coat standing there. The look on his face was priceless. She does her thing and after a few minutes it's over. As we planned it, the next song was his to sing. He couldn't make that RR V wide enough to cover his junk.

Other shows? Hmmm, strip act before the encore was a typical situations in a hardcore Russian bikers club.

So you'd play, then there would be a strip act, then you'd play a few more tunes?

We recently played a bike fest in Switzerland and the closing act was a full frontal nude show; huge stage and lighting rig, and while they payed us well they clearly had plenty of budget leftover for the closing act. I'm glad we didn't have to follow them on :D
Hehe.. you reminded me of a night at the Super bikes at Phillip Island... We were playing in a huge Marque (spelling?)... and in front of the stage was a largish dance floor, with a huge wodden pole in the middle of it, holding up part of the roof.
There was a guy who must have been at least 129 feet tall and 19 feet wide, with a pair of jeans, and a bandana on - nothing else. Anyway - this guy reckons he's a martial artist and wanted to be sure the other two or three thousand people there knew that. So - he's standing next to this big wooden pole punching it... again and again.. just punching this wooden pole... Then ... he must've wanted a rest so he approached the stage and beckoned to me... so... I tentatively walked over and he angrily said (imaging a monster talking to you who could snatch your life at a whim).." ARE YOU GUYS ANY GOOD???" ... In my littlest voice I replied ... "Well... I like to think so!". He replied "WELL YA FUCKEN BETTER BE!!!!" ... and went back to punching the pole.

Hahah... What a night that was.

Thanks
Pauly

Sounds like an Aussie gig :D

Pauly is it time we explained the concept of a bogan to the rest of the forum?

A few weeks ago at the local Jam Night, I'm talking to this new guy who was asking me how he got signed up to play. He had to be mid to late 20's, skinny, sparse tats on his arms and a few on his face. Kinda normal personality. No flags thrown until he says as he pulls out his acoustic "I know two songs. A rock song and a rap song. I plan to do both.".

Later in the evening his name came up. I'm talking with some friends as I look up I see a chick with big hair and a full length evening gown on. She turns around and it's him. The bar was cleared before the first chorus, including the staff. Everyone suddenly had the urge to go outside to smoke (but peek through the windows). He finished his two songs and literally disappeared.

Back
Top Bottom