Strange things happening today.

REDD

Fractal Fanatic
Hey all, today I was switching through some presets and one of them jumped huge amounts in volume.
I switched it back and forth from a couple presets and its back to normal. it was like a blow your eardrums kind of difference. Also, my Wahs are staying on here and there and when I go back the control knob will be slightly turned up on my presets but each one will be slightly different amounts. This was happening with Axe-Edit running but the volume jump was without the editor running. Strange behavior today for sure.

I had some strange things happen with my AX8 until about a month ago. It was all very infrequent: volume would drop, presets would switch independently and the F-switches were a little erratic. I reinstalled all the firmware and haven't had any issues since (it's only been a couple weeks and I only use the 8 at rehearsal or gigs, so only 3 or 4 sessions have passed).

Ok, another strange thing today. I turned on my rig and the tap tempo was assigned to F3 which was never assigned there before. I don't even use tap tempo and I made sure to not have it assigned because I hate the blinking light. Also, my screens contrast was so dark that when the tuner was engaged it had dark streaks on each side. I turned down the contrast and reassigned my F3 and so far all is good but I am wondering about the ghost in the machine?!?! Is this worthy of a repair ticket?

I can't account for the volume change; very odd. The reset of the global parameters can happen if you switch the unit off while it is saving the global settings. This happens in the background, and can be triggered by something as simple as a preset change. It is a best practice to NOT power the unit down immediately following interaction with the unit. Give it a few seconds to do it's thing. As a note, there is no battery in the AX8.

I can't account for the volume change; very odd. The reset of the global parameters can happen if you switch the unit off while it is saving the global settings. This happens in the background, and can be triggered by something as simple as a preset change. It is a best practice to NOT power the unit down immediately following interaction with the unit. Give it a few seconds to do it's thing. As a note, there is no battery in the AX8.
Thanks Joe! Will make sure not to power down too soon. I don't remember if I did when it happened.

Hey all, today I was switching through some presets and one of them jumped huge amounts in volume.
I switched it back and forth from a couple presets and its back to normal.
I've experienced the opposite effect. Not regularly, but more than a dozen times over a few weeks. Change preset and experience a significant drop in volume. Pick a different preset and then switch back to the "problem" preset, and volume returns to normal. No discernible pattern as yet.

The reset of the global parameters can happen if you switch the unit off while it is saving the global settings. This happens in the background, and can be triggered by something as simple as a preset change. It is a best practice to NOT power the unit down immediately following interaction with the unit. Give it a few seconds to do it's thing.
It would be nice to have a visual indication when the save is running. Said indication would go away when the system reaches a steady state.

Ok, started band rehearsal tonight and out of the blue output 2 has no output whatsoever. I have output 1 going to my CLR'S and then to the main mixer. Output 2 goes to my in ear monitor board. I checked the output settings in the Axe8 and they are still turned up to my normal volume. There is no signal on the meters for output 2 when I play and there is for output 1.

Ok, started band rehearsal tonight and out of the blue output 2 has no output whatsoever. I have output 1 going to my CLR'S and then to the main mixer. Output 2 goes to my in ear monitor board. I checked the output settings in the Axe8 and they are still turned up to my normal volume. There is no signal on the meters for output 2 when I play and there is for output 1.
Sounds like you've dialed up a preset with an FX loop block in it.

Sounds like you've dialed up a preset with an FX loop block in it.
I wish that were the case. Same presets I've been using for rehearsals and I don't use the fx loop at all. Just out of warranty I think as well. Darn! At least I have a couple Ax FxII units to get me through.

I wish that were the case. Same presets I've been using for rehearsals and I don't use the fx loop at all. Just out of warranty I think as well. Darn! At least I have a couple Ax FxII units to get me through.
The symptoms you described don't gibe with a failed output. Something is up with your configuration or presets.

The symptoms you described don't gibe with a failed output. Something is up with your configuration or presets.
What else could it be? The only thing I did since last rehearsal was load a couple new ir's. I don't see how that could kill output 2. I'm going to go through it tomorrow and do some more troubleshooting before I send it in to have it fixed. Thanks for helping Rex, got any other tips or suggestions?

A symptom of physical output failure would be level on meters but no signal at output. No meter activity indicates there's something else to figure out first.

Post a preset or routing screenshot.

Is your Out 2 knob turned up? I don't know if AX8 knob position affects the on-screen meters.

What's your Out 2 Volume controller assignment? You may want to try setting that to "none", then restart the AX8.

What is OUT 2 ECHO set to?
This could be it, I'll check later today. I was talking to Joe in this thread and he mentioned some global parameters resetting if I switched something too fast before it has time to do it's thang.

Back
Top Bottom