Strange! The more (bypassed) Effects the less gain and real-amp-feeling?

What's with the input setting of the amp block? Let's say it's set to L+R, would shunts and bypassed blocks transmit the same signals to the amp blocks input?

I can think of one thing - I record into Sonar with the axe setup as an external insert. The external insert is a dummy plugin that you can put on any track and it will route the signal how you want and adjust gain etc. but the main feature is that it has a tool to measure round trip latency and automatically apply plugin delay compensation. Great for reamping. Anyway..... I have noticed that if I recalibrate the PDC on difference presets it returns difference latency amounts, with a totally empty preset having a lower latency than a maxed out one. Not by much though, I think it was like an extra 2 or 3 ms roughly of round trip latency. I'm not so sure that it translate into something you could feel.

...difference latency amounts, with a totally empty preset having a lower latency than a maxed out one. Not by much though, I think it was like an extra 2 or 3 ms roughly of round trip latency. I'm not so sure that it translate into something you could feel.
3 ms is how long it takes for sound to travel from the speaker to your ear when you're standing three feet away. It's not something you can feel.

3 ms is how long it takes for sound to travel from the speaker to your ear when you're standing three feet away. It's not something you can feel.

I totally agree. I'm not trying to validate OPs claim, just pointing out something that no one has mentioned yet.

These type of threads seem to pop up from time to time but I can't understand why OP won't just reamp the same signal twice, do a null test and prove himself wrong.

I'd say post another recording so we can hear it again.

Ok although I'm very busy at the moment I couldn’t let it go, because I still don’t get it, that I can’t bring ”on tape” what I’m hearing. But I can’t do it. I tried again for 2 hours.

If I use re-amping the input is different compared with live playing
(Also a question as a non-professional: is the sound quality, recorded and re-processed by the audio-software the same quality as I hear it out of my speakers while playing live?)

If I try to play live on record (the first one was sloppy, I know Chris) but no matter how exact I would try to make it, you can’t compare it, there would always be doubt.

If I use a looper, then THERE’S A LOOPER in the preset that we don’t want there.

So I think the only way is to test it on your own - LIVE. I have factory-presets below, which (to me) show what I already described in the posts above quite good.
My suggestions: try it also with good headphones. To describe again the guitar tone without bypassed Blocks: It’s juicier, has more brilliance and more UltraRes-like-Details (clearer low-ends, more “body”), it sound fuller, wider and less compressed. AND you have to listen very close. It’s not that obvious like it was i.e. from HighRes to UltraRes.

If may of you can’t hear it. You all can be happy and play on. And I said already, for me (and if I understand correctly, also to the other few who noticed differences) it’s a very tiny aspect in the general greatness of the Unit.

Attachments

• Triptik Classic ! (with).syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Triptik Classic ! (without).syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 2
OK. i made a test again. I recorded clean guitar in a DAW then sent same loop through analog output --> instr input in AXE FX. Then recorded processed signal from SPDIF input.
Result - identical :)

I'll say it again. A bypassed block does nothing more than copy its input to its output. Any perceived differences are just that: perceived. There is no difference between a bypassed block and a shunt (assuming a bypass mode of thru).

I'll say it again. A bypassed block does nothing more than copy its input to its output. Any perceived differences are just that: perceived. There is no difference between a bypassed block and a shunt (assuming a bypass mode of thru).

Given Cliff designed the unit, and knows it better than anyone, I'd take this statement to be fact

I can’t bring ”on tape” what I’m hearing....

If I use re-amping the input is different compared with live playing....

If I try to play live on record ... there would always be doubt....

If I use a looper, then THERE’S A LOOPER in the preset that we don’t want there.

If you use reamping, the input will be exactly the same with each test. That's the point.

If you reamp or use an external looper and test 2 presets with the result that there is no difference, then the axe is not causing a difference as nothing has changed.

If you need to play live to hear the difference between the 2 presets, then it is not a controlled test as the live playing will be different each time - a difference in result means it's the live playing causing the change not the axe.

You say you can't record the difference. You showed us an image of the sound which showed no difference.

Do you only hear a difference with headphones on? Because there are some psychoacoustic things that happen with headphones - if the headphone cable touches the guitar it has a different sound and feel, for example.

I have a rehearsal today and will try some things.

If you use reamping, the input will be exactly the same with each test. That's the point.

If you reamp or use an external looper and test 2 presets with the result that there is no difference, then the axe is not causing a difference as nothing has changed.

If you need to play live to hear the difference between the 2 presets, then it is not a controlled test as the live playing will be different each time - a difference in result means it's the live playing causing the change not the axe.

You say you can't record the difference. You showed us an image of the sound which showed no difference.

Do you only hear a difference with headphones on? Because there are some psychoacoustic things that happen with headphones - if the headphone cable touches the guitar it has a different sound and feel, for example.

I have a rehearsal today and will try some things.

there are psychoacoustic things that can happen without headphones. Moving your head slightly can (depending on the circumstances) can result in a different perceived sound.

there are psychoacoustic things that can happen without headphones. Moving your head slightly can (depending on the circumstances) can result in a different perceived sound.

I'm pretty psychoacoustic at times, but i can't get the results the OP gets.

And you could keep repeating your self, the fact that you design and programmed the unit its not enough!!!

Maybe a device that can be connect to our brains that sync with the Axe FX can take that ghost sounds out of the equation!.

nicolasrivera, perhaps you can find a way to test your hypothesis without actually playing when you compare the two situations. That way you will be able to determine, definitively, if the Axe is OK.

Back
Top Bottom