Fixed Strange Scene Controller Behaviour

clarky

Axe-Master
hi Fractal guys
I have a MkI running Quantum 6.02
I have a preset which is very 'modifier heavy'
it's been fine for a long time
recently I added 2 new blocks to it [chorus and delay] and assigned them to my new XP pedal on external 3.
all worked fine.
then I noticed the next day that some of my scenes were misbehaving..
after digging around I found that scene controllers 1 and 2 reset all values to 0%.
so I did some experiments
reset the scene controller values, change scene and change preset.. they values remain.. all ok..
power down and power up, scene controllers 1 and 2 have all values at 0%
removed the chorus, reset the scene controller values, powered down and then up, all values remain / everything is good..

preset CPU = 84% and there are several unused modifiers

a further observation:
I have 5 presets in all, all are variations on this preset and these other 4 do not suffer with this.
those other 4 do have the extra chorus block [that I stripped from the preset that is struggling] but do not have the extra delay that has been added..
so it's not an issue with the chorus or the delay, it looks like an issue of controller resources

the writing of this post got me thinking some more…
I re-added the chorus [so now the difficult preset has both the extra chorus and delay] but did not assign the chorus to a modifier.. powered down and back up again and everything was good..
CPU cannot be the issue because two of the variants of this preset are running higher than 84 without issue.

so it looks like I've max'd out some sort of modifier resource, even though I've not used all modifiers available..
in Axe-Edit / controllers / modifiers I see that 1 thru 9 and 10 thru 16 are assigned, the remainder are unused…

I totally accept that what I configured may have exhausted some sort of controller / modifier resource in software..
I replaced the chorus with a shunt cos it was only a 'nice to have' and wasn't really needed in that preset
so I'm totally cool with that..

I'm just bringing this to you guys attention just in case it happens to be a bug..

Yeah you can check the .syx file for the preset in a hex editor or MidiOx to see if there's any zero byte messages left in it. Preset and cab files are fixed in size and the unused portion will have messages full of zero bytes taking up the extra space. The individual messages always start with F0 00 01 74 08 78 40 and end with F7. Between those will be just a bunch of zero bytes. If there's none of those left in the file, there's most likely stuff that wasn't saved correctly leading to the weird behavior.

I didn't take the trouble to dump the midi, but what you guys are saying makes a lot of sense..
and ties up with what I suspected too..

prob solved…
solution: don't do what I was doing

Back
Top Bottom