Strange problem with MFC-101 and XL+

tonyi

Inspired
I am running a PedalSnake between the MFC-101 and the XL+. The PedalSnake is MIDI but I use connectors that convert it to XLR and use Faslink. Sounds great. I decided to try running an XLR cable using Faslink rather than the PedalSnake because the Pedalsnake is more bulky with four cables within it. It works but tone is markedly different. It is as if the guitar tone control turned down the highs. What gives? Doesn't the MFC just change from one preset to another? Why should it influence the tone? I tried two different XLR cables, both nice Mogami ones. I also tried using an ethernet cable and got a Time-Out. I would like to switch to the XLR cable but not with this much difference in the sound. Also, when I use the expression pedal to turn down the sound to zero, it won't turn it back up. I have to turn the XL+ off and back on? It was working OK before.

connection between MFC and Axe should not affect tone at all. there is no audio data there.

are you certain nothing else is changing? what else is in the pedalsnake?

the time out with ethernet could be that you didn't change to Ethernet connection in the devices menu.

Did you set the MFC to the correct mode for using FASLink?

If not, preset changes still work but other functions won't. Possibly there expression pedal data doesn't go thru.

Do you also have an expression pedal for Wah? If that's not responding correctly it could affect the tone.

Well duh!! I've had this thing for years but I don't think I have ever set it for FASlink. I'll set it tomorrow and see what happens. THANKS!!!

OK, I worked all day on this, swapping around cables etc. Turns out that it is not the XLR cable or the PedalSnake. For years I have played the FX II and the XL+ using AX Edit on my laptop since I am constantly tweaking and it is easier to tweak on AXE Edit than the front panel. I just switched over to using the MFC-101 (I never use both at the same time, I always unplug one and hook up the other). The difference is in using AXE Edit vs. the MFC-101. Playing through the laptop is clearer and has more presence that using the MFC-101. I don't think that makes sense but it definitely makes a difference.

There is no also signal at all passing thru either the MFC-101 or Axe-Edit.

If there is a sound difference with the MFC attached then it's related to something being controlled by the MFC.

I am running a PedalSnake between the MFC-101 and the XL+. The PedalSnake is MIDI but I use connectors that convert it to XLR and use Faslink. Sounds great. I decided to try running an XLR cable using Faslink rather than the PedalSnake because the Pedalsnake is more bulky with four cables within it. It works but tone is markedly different. It is as if the guitar tone control turned down the highs. What gives? Doesn't the MFC just change from one preset to another? Why should it influence the tone? I tried two different XLR cables, both nice Mogami ones. I also tried using an ethernet cable and got a Time-Out. I would like to switch to the XLR cable but not with this much difference in the sound. Also, when I use the expression pedal to turn down the sound to zero, it won't turn it back up. I have to turn the XL+ off and back on? It was working OK before.
This is Jody with PedalSnake. Sorry for the late response. We periodically check forums to see if we can help, and just saw this. The "turned down the highs" problem you described is a just buffering problem, because PedalSnake requires guitar signals to be buffered. All this just means is, when using PedalSnake between a pedalboard and amp, you can't have "all true bypass" pedals between the guitar and PedalSnake (unless the guitar has an active pickup with a battery, which means it's buffered). At least one buffer is needed. This is not usually a problem today, as most players know "all true bypass" is not a good idea in general. The buffer can be anywhere in the signal chain ... at the start, the middle, or the end. We would think the Fractal devices you mention would have buffered guitar-signal outputs, but apparently, somehow, the signal is not getting buffered. Maybe somebody knows how and why this is???

This is Jody with PedalSnake. Sorry for the late response. We periodically check forums to see if we can help, and just saw this. The "turned down the highs" problem you described is a just buffering problem, because PedalSnake requires guitar signals to be buffered. All this just means is, when using PedalSnake between a pedalboard and amp, you can't have "all true bypass" pedals between the guitar and PedalSnake (unless the guitar has an active pickup with a battery, which means it's buffered). At least one buffer is needed. This is not usually a problem today, as most players know "all true bypass" is not a good idea in general. The buffer can be anywhere in the signal chain ... at the start, the middle, or the end. We would think the Fractal devices you mention would have buffered guitar-signal outputs, but apparently, somehow, the signal is not getting buffered. Maybe somebody knows how and why this is???
Oops, I answered too fast! It seems you solved your problem. Nice work! We love a good job of troubleshooting!

Back
Top Bottom