Strange preset changing 'bug'

randombastage

Experienced
AxeFxIII, FC-6, 4 external momentary switches set up as Stand In switches.

One stand in switch is dedicated to Drive block 1 (bypass short press/toggle channel A/B long press).
On the FC-6, in layout 8 Drive block 2 (bypass and channel toggle set up like Drive 1) is set up to switch 2.

If I toggle either drive switch in and out of bypass or channel a/b while the other drive switch is bypassed they both do what they are programmed to do. If I activate drive 1 then activate drive 2 as well they both come on as you would expect but then bypassing drive 2 the AxeFxIII switches to preset 390.

I have tried this on other presets and the AxeFxIII switches to preset 390 regardless of what preset I was in (at least so far, I haven't tried it from a different bank of presets)
I tried starting in preset 390 and it does the same thing...switches to preset 390's saved state...

What could I have at work that I'm not aware of that could do this?!? The only layout link I have set up is when selecting a preset from layout 1 the FC changes to Layout 8 where I have all 6 switches set for effects blocks to toggle in and out of bypass short press, long press channel toggle.
(not that it would have any preset changing characteristics but thought I better mention it just in case)

It happens regardless of having the editor open or not.
I haven't updated the FC to latest firmware, it is still 1.08, so i guess i need to do that.

Last edited:
I've been troubleshooting a similar problem with an external switch I use to do scene +/-. If I use it to increment a scene the chorus bypass tap button on the FC-6 calls a preset 2 presets away. I reassigned the stand-in switch locations, which seems to have cured the problem, but I'm not sure why it happened.

Danny W.

AxeFxIII, FC-6, 4 external momentary switches set up as Stand In switches.

One stand in switch is dedicated to Drive block 1 (bypass short press/toggle channel A/B long press).
On the FC-6, in layout 8 Drive block 2 (bypass and channel toggle set up like Drive 1) is set up to switch 2.

If I toggle either drive switch in and out of bypass or channel a/b while the other drive switch is bypassed they both do what they are programmed to do. If I activate drive 1 then activate drive 2 as well they both come on as you would expect but then bypassing drive 2 the AxeFxIII switches to preset 390.

I have tried this on other presets and the AxeFxIII switches to preset 390 regardless of what preset I was in (at least so far, I haven't tried it from a different bank of presets)
I tried starting in preset 390 and it does the same thing...switches to preset 390's saved state...

What could I have at work that I'm not aware of that could do this?!? The only layout link I have set up is when selecting a preset from layout 1 the FC changes to Layout 8 where I have all 6 switches set for effects blocks to toggle in and out of bypass short press, long press channel toggle.
(not that it would have any preset changing characteristics but thought I better mention it just in case)

It happens regardless of having the editor open or not.
I haven't updated the FC to latest firmware, it is still 1.08, so i guess i need to do that.
Please export a system backup and upload it here. Use fractal bot receive tab.

I've done some more testing and can confirm that there's something screwed up with the stand-in switches. I have a single stand-in assigning FC switch 11 to scene +/-. Before I actuate that switch all the F-6 switches act properly. If use the stand-in to increment the scene, tapping FC-6 switch 3 will display bank increment, regardless of what's actually assigned to that switch and regardless of layout. The next time I tap switch 3 it will act normally again. I previously had the stand in switch assigned to FC switch 7 and that messed up FC-6 switch 1.

Danny W.

Last edited:
Please export a system backup and upload it here. Use fractal bot receive tab.
OK, I made the back up. It is four bank files, two cab files and one system file. The cab files were too large for the web site's system to process so let me know if I need to get those to you some other way...and thanks for looking in to this!

Attachments

• 190728-142722-bank-D.syx
    6 MB · Views: 12
  • 190728-142722-bank-C.syx
    6 MB · Views: 9
  • 190728-142722-bank-B.syx
    6 MB · Views: 3
  • 190728-142722-bank-A.syx
    6 MB · Views: 9
  • 190728-142722-system+gb+fc.syx
    192.6 KB · Views: 9
OK, I made the back up. It is four bank files, two cab files and one system file. The cab files were too large for the web site's system to process so let me know if I need to get those to you some other way...and thanks for looking in to this!
Hehe I just meant the system backup but this works too :)

This is the same problem reported here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/bug-tap-tempo-switch-causes-all-switches-to-go-blank.152390/

It will be fixed in the next release of the Axe-Fx III firmware.

Is it the same as the issue I have now had 3 times ( over the last week or so, I can't replicate it on demand) I have a CS attached to the FC-6 but the issue is when I tap the lower left switch of the FC-6 to change scenes from my "Scenes Layout" ...one in maybe 30 times it will load up a different preset, usually quite a few presets down from the one I was on ( if I was on Preset 20 it might load Preset 4 or 12 etc.)

I haven't tried leaving the CS switch unattached for awhile to see if it is only while connected that it does this....

Is it the same as the issue I have now had 3 times ( over the last week or so, I can't replicate it on demand) I have a CS attached to the FC-6 but the issue is when I tap the lower left switch of the FC-6 to change scenes from my "Scenes Layout" ...one in maybe 30 times it will load up a different preset, usually quite a few presets down from the one I was on ( if I was on Preset 20 it might load Preset 4 or 12 etc.)

I haven't tried leaving the CS switch unattached for awhile to see if it is only while connected that it does this....
If you are using stand-in switches, then it is possibly the same bug. Without your specific configuration and a specific sequence of events to reproduce the issue, it's difficult to know. You can send me your "System + Global Blocks + FC" backup from FractalBot (and preset if you are using per-preset footswitches) and I can take a look when I have a chance.

Back
Top Bottom