Strange noise

Hi Team,

Got some strange behavior going on with my rig.

AxeFxIIXL+ -> Left output -> XLR cable -> Universal Audio 8 Quad

I get strange intermittent clicking / popping though the input channel on Apollo. So here's the weird bit:

1) If I change the cable, the sound persists
2) If I turn off the AxeFx, the sound persists
3) If I turn off *and unplug* the AxeFx, the sound persists

If I unplug the XLR cable, the sound goes away. If I plug the cable into a microphone, the sound stays gone.

If I plug it back into the Axe (powered up, or switched off, or switched off and unplugged), I get the clicking and popping.

Thoughts? It would seem I have some sort of short in the Axe.

Cheers,

Phil

Thoughts? It would seem I have some sort of short in the Axe.
Let's see if I'm understanding you correctly. You turn off and unplug the axe and this "strange noise" persists?
I think your process of elimination has already eliminated the AxeFx as the source of your problem. If it's off, it's not generating sound.

Let's see if I'm understanding you correctly. You turn off and unplug the axe and this "strange noise" persists?
I think your process of elimination has already eliminated the AxeFx as the source of your problem. If it's off, it's not generating sound.

So...check it out. It was RF interference from my power line Ethernet. It appears that the Axe acts like some kind of antenna for it, even when it is unplugged! Of interest, I get the same behaviour if replace the AxeFX with an eleven rack.

If I disconnect the power line Ethernet, sound disappears.

Phil

Back
Top Bottom