Strange noise when switching between scenes

Chuck100

I've got a patch with two scenes with an X/Y setup for the delays. The delays have different delay times. X is a fast slapback, and Y is a longer delay with multiple repeats.

When I switch back and forth between the scenes, I'm getting a strange garbled sound for an instant, which as far as I can tell is coming from the delay block.

Have I overlooked something? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a gig coming up.

AFX II, FW 19b3, and an MFC 101 III.

I get this when I change times/tempos on my DAW too. It's probably the processor trying to catch up w/ the change in times; you can get the same thing changing presets.

Try using 2 delay blocks instead of x/y, and set up the scenes for whichever one you want active. Yes, it uses a bit more CPU, but you won't have these artifacts coming through.

also if using x-y changes in scenes the bypass type greatly effects the performance of scene changes

Thanks everyone for your responses.

To address my problem again from another angle: as I understand it, using scenes is supposed to offer "seamless" changing between sounds/settings. In this preset, however, which is a very basic one, the changes are not seamless. At least not on my AFX II.

There is an unusual digital-sounding garble for an instant as the scene is changed. This occurs when the sound is sustaining or the delay repeats are continuing as the scene is changed. BTW, I tried adding a second delay block (in series) and strangely enough it didn't solve the problem.

Are scene changes really seamless or not?

I didn't get a chance to load the preset yet, but thanks for uploading it. It will help.

What is the CPU usage of that preset? (utility-status menu on the front panel)

Scenes CAN BE seamless, but can also not be seamless.

Try changing the bypass setting of each delay block to Mute FX In or Mute FX Out. Some combination of those might do the trick.

Try changing the bypass setting of each delay block to Mute FX In or Mute FX Out. Some combination of those might do the trick.

Thanks Chris, I'll try that. It will be later this evening though before I'll have the chance. It occurs to me that the basis of this preset is very old - FW 10 or something like that. It has been reloaded numerous times in various firmware updates. I'll try creating something similar from scratch and see how that works too.

If you're only using one delay block, when you switch from an X state to a Y state with a different delay time or type, the delay block needs to (obviously) adjust itself. The "garbled" sound you are hearing momentarily is the delay changing to it's new settings.

One work around is to use 2 delay blocks in parallel. Put your slapback settings in one block, and the longer delay in the other. Set the bypass state of one delay block to "Mute In", and the other to "Mute Fx In". This way the delay tails will fade naturally when either delay is switched, and you will still have signal when both blocks are bypassed.

If you're only using one delay block, when you switch from an X state to a Y state with a different delay time or type, the delay block needs to (obviously) adjust itself. The "garbled" sound you are hearing momentarily is the delay changing to it's new settings.

One work around is to use 2 delay blocks in parallel. Put your slapback settings in one block, and the longer delay in the other. Set the bypass state of one delay block to "Mute In", and the other to "Mute Fx In". This way the delay tails will fade naturally when either delay is switched, and you will still have signal when both blocks are bypassed.

Thanks npx, I'll try that.

My quick fix has been to assign the same delay type to X and Y. This seem to be enough to reduce the load on the processor and has gotten rid of the garbled noise, even though the delay times remain different. The switching is not terribly smooth, though.

I'll have to try npx's solution at a later date. I'm not very good at using parallel blocks. I can never seem to get it right with the volume and effect levels, etc. Is there an existing factory preset with parallel delays? I suppose I could modify that for my purposes.

I'm not very good at using parallel blocks. I can never seem to get it right with the volume and effect levels, etc. Is there an existing factory preset with parallel delays? I suppose I could modify that for my purposes.
When I use Delay in parallel I set Mix to 100% (to kill all dry signal) and dial in the amount of delay with the Input Gain. Obviously, you need to cable it in parallel in the grid.

Reactions: npx
Back
Top Bottom