Strange floyd rose and elixir issues...

Guitarjon

Fractal Fanatic
So I'm having some really strange Floyd Rose issues and I could really use some help.

I have owned a few Floyd Rose guitars and still own an LTD Kh602. That guitar stays in tune so well. Just like how you would expect a Floyd to function.
I decided to buy a new LTD, in this case an MH1000fr to tune in E standard with 09's. (The KH is in E flat with 10's.)
So my brand new LTD arrived in the mail last week and everything was working perfectly like you would expect. I always use elixir so I put a set of 09's on the new guitar. This is where the trouble started.
I stretched the strings and everything, locked the nut .
After the first divebomb I did the strings go out of tune, or at least some of them. At first i thought, oh well, new strings, perhaps they need to be stretched some more. So I stretched them again and locked the nut again. Once again perfectly in tune until I use the whammy a bit, namely some dive bombing. So I did some experimenting.
Leave the nut locked and tune with the fine tuners. Dive bomb again and retune. Did this a couple of times and after a few minutes the strings do decide to stay in tune.
If I unlock the nut, tune the strings and lock it again the exact same thing happens.

For me this isn't good, when you lock the nut the guitar should stay in tune. Except for maybe a little bit of fine tuning after locking the nut.

This led me to believe the batch of strings I got were maybe bad so I put a set of daddarios on there to test. The Floyd functions properly again, so no strange behaviour.
Hmmm, so as I always use elixirs I had to put another set on there again.
And the same problem happened again unfortunately.
With the exact same procedure only this time I really paid attention putting the strings on there and stretching them properly.

All of this led me to believe that the Floyd Rose was faulty so I sent the guitar back.
Now I ordered another one of the same model but from another store.
I just put some elixirs on there and damn, same problem.
I don't know what to do anymore.
Is anyone here familiar with Floyd problems and elixirs?

Sorry for the long story and thanks for the help!

Sounds like slippage at the nut to me.

I wonder if the coated strings don't clamp at the nut like normal strings?

I'm a bit confused on how you arrived at the conclusion that the Floyd Rose is 100% at fault? Other strings (the d'addarios for example) seem to have worked but Elixirs didn't - or have I read it wrong?

Ignoring the strings for now - when you unlock the nut when the strings are in tune and stable and then they go out of tune it would indicate to me that the problem lies at the nut or behind the nut

Is the nut level? Do all the strings lie flat over it's width?

Are the tuning heads good quality? They can be slowly unwinding a bit - the string pull behind the nut remains the same to them whether it's locked or not. I had a Charvel once that I had to change tuners on - and it had a good stable Jackson Schaller made FR - but it annoyed me that the tuning went so badly out when I unlocked the nut to retune when the bridge fine tuners were nearly bottoming out.

Also - if you do fine tuning on the bridge after the nut is locked then it goes without saying when you unlock the nut the tuning will go flat/sharp depending on what way you altered tuning on the bridge.

Is the FR a copy or licenced version - is it coated in enamel type paint by any chance (IE a 'black' version)? I've had a few probs with slippage at both nut and bridge with these - I cured this by fine sanding a the paint off down to bare metal on all string contact areas ( including the bridge locking parts which was a pain as I had to dismantle it) - it helped - and I then felt I didn't have to put so much pressure on when locking down which can end up with stripping threads etc.

The Elixirs - are they coated strings? Could that be contributing? Only solution I can think if thats the problem is to sand off the coating at the cut end and nut areas - or a more sane method would be just don't use Elixirs on that guitar.

It sounds like a combination of a new floyd and the Elixir strings as you didn't have the problem with using the D'Addarios. You might try roughing up the bottom side of the keepers at the nut with some 220 grit sandpaper. It doesn't make any sense that you should have to do this but based on what you are saying it sounds like the strings are slipping back through the clamp when you dive the trem.

That's strange. I have several LTD's with OFR and use Elixer strings exclusively for the last 15 years and never had any issue like that.

Make sure you lube the contact points on the bridge. I use big bends nut sauce.

Another area to check is the screws holding the clamp in the cavity. If they are crooked or not tight.

It is entirely possible that the strings are a bad batch too, but this is not normal.

Strange issue indeed. I use Elixir's with my Wolfgang and don't have any issues. I did have similar issues when I first got the guitar though, which turned out to be the nut not being tightened all the way to the neck.

When I would divebomb, the guitar would return out of tune. After consulting Dr. Google I learned about the nut issue. Sure enough, I put my eyes right next to the nut and started diving the Floyd and I could actually see the nut wiggling back and forth. Tightening that sucker down cured all issues.

Probably not helpful for your issue, but something to consider. You may just have to try some different strings.

Yeah the problem is so strange.
Why would Elixir string behave so strange?
I'm not keen on filing anything on the bridge or anything because this has ocurred with 2 brand new guitars.
If there really is something wrong I would have to return it (again..... sigh).
At this point I can only conclude that the Elixir string are the cause of the troubles.

I just showed it to my friend, tuned the guitar to pitch with the locks off.
Then, Lock the guitar and do some very minor correctional fine-tuning on the bridge.
The guitar sounded perfectly in tune.
I do one dive-bomb and the tuning sounds like crap.
Bending the strings or moving the tremelo a bit doesn't help.
Re-fine-tuning the thing and going over the process again a few times helps it to 'sit' better for some reason.
However, I don't want to go through that process every time I tune my guitar.
The strange thing is also that the bridge goes up a bit during this tuning process, as if the string pull tighter after this whole debacle

I would look into the studs and the tremolo "knife edges" .. make sure there are no "grooves" or indentations in the studs .
Also make sure that the studs themselves are not loose (so that the tremolo itself can move up and down) .

The problem you describe indicate to me that there is something wrong with how the tremolo swings and returns (or probably don't)
return to the "neutral position" ..

If you are to keep the guitar, I highly recommend upgrading the tremolo block to something heavier .. does wonder for Floyd Rose
tone, stability, and ability . But no matter what block you have, you should be able to get it to hold the tuning very very well.

I have never use Elixir strings on a FR system .. but I strongly feel the problem is "mechanical" ... knife edges, nut .. or something

if it doesn't work, maybe you can take some pictures and post them .. it would be easier to see whats going on ..

good luck

Must be something with the coating. The Floyd is probably not the best quality Floyd they make (german one) maybe it's plating along with the coating is slipping.

Must be something with the coating. The Floyd is probably not the best quality Floyd they make (german one) maybe it's plating along with the coating is slipping.

It's a Floyd Rose 1000 I believe.
It works just perfectly on my other guitar so there shouldn't be anything wrong with this bridge (or 2 of the same models for that matter).

It might 'play in' over time ...... but with a brand new guitar that's maybe too big a risk. With 2 brand new guitars of the same model however it's maybe an omen!

ESP LTD MH-1000 Floyd Rose problems with tuning - The ESP Guitar Company - another owner had probs too a few years back - and they didn't go away even after a pro setup it seems.

Nice looking guitar tho ..... an Original FR in it would probably do wonders .... but they are big money to spend on a brand new guitar ....

How many springs are you using?

It might 'play in' over time ...... but with a brand new guitar that's maybe too big a risk. With 2 brand new guitars of the same model however it's maybe an omen!

ESP LTD MH-1000 Floyd Rose problems with tuning - The ESP Guitar Company - another owner had probs too a few years back - and they didn't go away even after a pro setup it seems.

Nice looking guitar tho ..... an Original FR in it would probably do wonders .... but they are big money to spend on a brand new guitar ....

How many springs are you using?

yeah I saw that post too but I figured you could find negative stuff about virtually any guitar and this was just one guy....
I'm using 3 springs just as installed in the factory.

I've had brand new Floyds that exhibit "spring stretch" on the first few dive bombs. Same with new Kahlers back in the 90s. Other parts of the guitar may also need to settle when new.

I never judge a new guitar until I've put on my favorite strings, set it up as I like it, used it hard for a week, and then put on a second fresh set of strings.

Also check the spring claw screws. I never liked the fact that they use horizontal wood screws to anchor these, seems like there would be a risk of them being pulled loose under heavy use. Of course this should only affect all strings, not individual strings. It's most likely the nut or nut clamping blocks. I've seen strings chew grooves into the cheaper FR Special and FR 1000 nuts (softer material).

Definitely check that the studs don't wobble or otherwise move (you'll really have to remove pressure on the bridge for that) and the knife edges as already mentioned, but that should present the same issue with all strings.

Your nut could also be loose. Does it screw in from the top or is it bolted in from the back of the neck (more stable, IMO). In either case, this has bit me a few times... But again, does not explain it between different strings.

Did you by chance take the locking nuts completely off each time? If so, you may have put all or some on the wrong way. This got me once and drove me crazy until I figured it out...

The locking nuts are not flat on the bottom (at least, none of the ones I have used). Make sure the flat edges are perpendicular to the strings as that clamps them in two places.

Could explain it if just by chance you got them on correctly when using the other strings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bring it to a professional Luthier.....they will likely find your issue quickly.

Every time I think I know how to set up/fix/maintain my guitars....something happens, I bring it to my guy, and he finds something immediately.

Thanks for all your help guys!
Unfortunately I've decided to send it back again.
This time I'm getting a different guitar but I really want one with a properly functioning Floyd Rose.
I'm getting a white PRS Torero if they still have one.
I used to own one of these for a while and the quality was great.
The Floyd functioned perfectly with elixirs.
Let's hope this turns out ok!

Back
Top Bottom