Strange behavior in 6.02 [FIXED in 6.03]

Etudica

Inspired
I just upgraded from 6.01 to 6.02 this evening, and noticed my XL+ is crashing on these two presets now that were fine just yesterday. All other presets are working properly and sound great, but when I select either of these two via AE or front panel the unit freezes and blank screens. Trying to delete the problem presets using axe-manage locks up the unit and crashes AE also.

I know I can just overwrite those slots with fractal bot and recreate them later, but I'm really puzzled why only these two presets are causing the issue. Any ideas?

Edit: Continue reading... preset issue fixed but other strange behavior...

Last edited:
Nevermind! CPU too high with AE attached in 6.02. There must have been enough of a CPU increase with the new release to lock up the unit with AE open. I just adjusted a few parameters I didn't really use in those select presets and it's all good.

OK, still getting freezes and blank screens, sometime just when switching between unmodified factory presets using the front panel. I'm unable to pull any presets with fractal bot now either. Just tried to transfer the #11 Brit 800 factory preset twice through fractal bot (without AE open of course) and it crashes my Axe. Tried reflashing 6.02 with no luck.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Update: Rolled back to 6.01 and no issues whatsoever. Pushed 6.02 again and problems returned.

Last edited:
It's not the presets. In the OP I thought it was a select custom presets, but it turned out to be CPU usage from what I can tell. I'm having issues with even factory presets now. It's all described above. Renamed title since it doesn't appear to be custom preset related.

It's not the presets. In the OP I thought it was a select custom presets, but it turned out to be CPU usage from what I can tell. I'm having issues with even factory presets now. It's all described above. Renamed title since it doesn't appear to be custom preset related.
Is anything else plugged into the Axe? Does it happen when your Computer is Totally disconnected ?

OK, still getting freezes and blank screens, sometime just when switching between unmodified factory presets using the front panel. I'm unable to pull any presets with fractal bot now either. Just tried to transfer the #11 Brit 800 factory preset twice through fractal bot (without AE open of course) and it crashes my Axe. Tried reflashing 6.02 with no luck.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Update: Rolled back to 6.01 and no issues whatsoever. Pushed 6.02 again and problems returned.
Yes... I'm getting the exact same issue. At first I thought it was just a botched install so I performed the emergency boot install routine then reloaded 6.02. I did a manual refresh of AE as well. Now when using AE, it freezes, screen on AxeFX XL+ goes blank, and the only way to fix it was to shut everything down. Without running AE, it appears to be OK at first then it randomly times out and freezes.

Without the MFC plugged in, AE and AxeFX XL+ seem to work OK but there seems to be a bit more lag than usual. Plug in the MFC and it all goes to hell again.

I rolled back to the beta version and all problems mysteriously went away.

Yes... I'm getting the exact same issue...

Without the MFC plugged in, AE and AxeFX XL+ seem to work OK but there seems to be a bit more lag than usual. Plug in the MFC and it all goes to hell again.

I rolled back to the beta version and all problems mysteriously went away.

Yep, same behavior here. Even with USB and MFC unplugged I'm still having issues. If I boot up with absolutely nothing attached, I'll be able play the patch it boots up on for quite some time (and sounds fine) but when I start scrolling through presets, even just factory ones, it will soon freeze up with blank screen.

I'm not sure having the mfc connected or not makes a difference. Even with mfc unplugged (I use FAS link btw) the axe still freezes when trying to do anything with axe edit or fractal bot.

Rolled back to 6.01 again and not a single issue after more than an hour playing and tweaking. Same pc, same cables, etc. I guess I'll stay on 6.01 until the next round of updates and contact support if it still happens then.

Yep, same behavior here. Even with USB and MFC unplugged I'm still having issues. If I boot up with absolutely nothing attached, I'll be able play the patch it boots up on for quite some time (and sounds fine) but when I start scrolling through presets, even just factory ones, it will soon freeze up with blank screen.

I'm not sure having the mfc connected or not makes a difference. Even with mfc unplugged (I use FAS link btw) the axe still freezes when trying to do anything with axe edit or fractal bot.

Rolled back to 6.01 again and not a single issue after more than an hour playing and tweaking. Same pc, same cables, etc. I guess I'll stay on 6.01 until the next round of updates and contact support if it still happens then.
Yep, same here. I had ZERO problems with the beta version. This needs sorted out but I'll stay on the older firmware for now. Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this issue.

Have you opened a ticket or contacted support?

I had an error on loading 6.02 production, but did a second install and no issues. I never loaded the beta.

been playing for about 6 hours on 6.02, I'm not experiencing any issues at all.

just went through all 250 presets on my Axe, some dating back to FW18, Q1, Q3, etc
Used axe edit to install and play with Larry's bundles shared by M@ yesterday as well.

Axe-Fx II MKII, MFC-101 MKII

I never loaded the 6.02 beta so no presets were made with it.
not implying this is the issue, just sharing my experience to try and help.

FWIW, I never loaded 6.02b. Went straight from 6.01 to 6.02 final release, so I don't think that is it.

Also, when rolling back to 6.01, I didn't restore earlier versions of my presets, yet everything sounds and behaves fine still on 6.01

Did you try reloading the factory presets? Perhaps some of them got corrupted some how,.. if that's possible... after all, It's a computer... Just a thought.

@Etudica ,I am experiencing very similar problems as well, axe edit and Axe XL+freezing usually when changing presets or cabs, with scary frequency since 6.02 final(I did have the beta installed)...I may reload the firmware, but if I cant troubleshoot it I will open a support ticket.

Back
Top Bottom