Strange artefacts after muting strings

Heinzi

Inspired
Hey Folks,

I´ve noticed a problem and can´t find any explanation for it. When I´m hitting a chord with a humbuckerguitar and a Vox type amp and mute it afterwards some strange artefacts appear.

I´ve changed guitars, cables everything, all effect blocks are off, no CPU overload and no clipping.

The problem only occurs with humbucking guitars in combination with Vox and some fender amps (even in factory presets) - no problem with for example Marshall amps.

Anybody got an Idea what that could be? Or has a solution?
You can hear this noise almost like a broken cable right after the chord

Does changing the gate have any effect - on, off, or threshold setting?
no, I don´t even have a gate in the chain :)

That's what those amps do. Stop over-analyzing and make some music.
I´ll tell that the client I´m having to record for. No seriously - if that is normal, I´m satisfied. I also noticed it only happens when the palm is over the polepieces of the magnet. What´s happening there?

I´ll tell that the client I´m having to record for. No seriously - if that is normal, I´m satisfied. I also noticed it only happens when the palm is over the polepieces of the magnet. What´s happening there?
Your strings are hitting the magnets or getting close to the magnets. This causes a low-frequency pulse.

maybe try a similar but different amp model. many "artifacts" are indeed things that the original amps do and have always been part of the sound.

consider the amp in the mix and it may be ok. unless you're going for the sterile cleanest-recording-ever-for-post-production-later technique of today's recording scene. :D

I'm having issues as well. Seems like the pickup bridge area is super sensitive to the very slightest touch or movement. I recorded a song recently and you can hear artifacts in my palm muting. I'm thinking of trying my AxeII to see if its just me.

Yeah I think I can live with that. It´s just that you sometimes have to record for some producers who are very nit-picking and over particular.
But if the real amp does so, then be it - I´m just happy the the AXE FX doesn´t weigh 30kg, cause thats what those amps do;)

Most of my noise issue was the noisegate. Using intelligent mode causes a funky springy noise with high gain palm muting and it goes away with the classic setting. The other is just amplified hand noise from my hand movement and lots of gain. No worries!

If understand correctly what you guys are talking about, this stuff can be "fixed" with technique, heavier strings or a higher action.

People gets really sensitive when it's a modeler and they tend to forget all the nastiness of the electric guitar.

Yeah right - the noise gate in ther input section was the problem - setting it to classic solved it. Thanks REDD!!!

Again - this has nothing to do with being oversensitive or overanalizing thing - it was a very disturbing noise, nut just a mild humming or constant hiss. I have about 25 Tube amps at home and have to review amps every week, and i think i know exactly what they supposed to do and what not.
Glad that the solution was so easy:)!

Also. I'm not sure if you're using the cab block of the Axe-Fx or not but this kind of thing also happens when you have a super long IR that was... well not shot with clean methods. Non-linearities + deconvolution + noise when shooting IR's = these types of things. If you are using the Axe-Fx cab block then this is not the issue as I think that's longer than 170ms right?

No, but good to know !
I only use 170ms, and in this case i had the issue with factory presets.
That was really just the Gate setting - still strange why it only happens with Vox and some Fenders...

Could be, but I don´t know if they´re talking about the same thing.
And since the b-word shall not be named as i learned in another thread i was careful adressing it as bug:)

Back
Top Bottom