Strange 6kHz noise in my new house, any ideas? (Update - getting closer)

This still doesn't make sense. Going up one octave means doubling the frequency. The 120th harmonic is almost 7 octaves (~83 semitones) above the fundamental frequency. You seem to be mixing up Hz and harmonic numbers.
Oups, indeed. Aie & sorry for the confusion !
Hence I just suggest to check theTHDI impact of that solar system frequency converter ;-).

I got two air conditioners installed in Dec. last year. One of them causes constant 4kHz noise into my guitars, the other one is silent. I've got a technician coming in the next days to check...

We tried to use a large converter to run some machinery at 380V 50Hz (from 480V 60Hz), but even with the manufacturer's recommended filter the noise was so bad that our controls were completely freaking out. In my experience the inverter switching or carrier frequency, and its harmonics, is where you'll find your problems.

I've got nothing to add I'm afraid, but hope you get it sorted, TC. I know how frustrating things like this can be!

I'll be following this thread to see what it ends up being...

Thanks for the comments and ideas guys, much appreciated.

I took some time today for some more troubleshooting, started by shutting off power the almost everything in the house, making sure dimmers and stuff didn’t have any power. No change.

But, I’m pretty sure now that the issue is the A/C condenser. I need to do a little bit more testing but I’m pretty sure I can isolate the issue now to when the A/C condenser needs to cool something in the house (I live in Australia and cool things most of the time). We have one largish condenser and 5 zones In the house. Not running the A/C in my office/music room made no difference alone. And if it’s 27C inside a room and I set the A/C for 24C, I get the noise and if I set the temp for 27C or higher, even if the condenser is still running, it doesn’t need to cool the room and there’s no high pitched noise.

I realised this earlier today when I played and it was nice and quiet, and after a while with me not doing anything the noise started. I looked in FM3 Edit and the preset I was on didn’t not have my aggressive 5.9kHz PEQ Block. Started to think what changed and now I can see that whats most likely happened was that one of the A/Cs in the house was on, and the temperature had risen so the condenser kicked in to cool the room. Annoying but at least I found the issue now.

Friday evening here now so Monday I’ll follow up with the A/C guy and see what he thinks and if there’s anything not quite right or something that can be done.

My bet is it's from the Powerwall. Probably the inverter frequency.
Many years ago I was asked to help with switching power supply: the amp maker believed the interference was inavoidable! We found out that proper design and construction lead to almost noiseless amp supply, but it was taxing on dimension and cost. I suspect conditioner (and domestic or industrial stuff) are built with an eye to cost and availabilty of components and the other to legal standard, no guitar test! Wifi an PC also are source of noise.
When I record, sometimes I get high pitch noise. I sorted out all I can (disconnect all home device, run on batteries., filtering the mains..): I live near an industrial area, probably some huge machine spread the noise. Sometimes my mains (230v) run for a period on 210v... my vintage tube amp feel different. Big advantage having an Axefx! :D

Back
Top Bottom