Strandberg?

I’ve had a Salen Deluxe on order for a few months. It was supposed to arrive last month and now the new e.t.a. is the end of this month. I almost forgot about it until I saw this thread. :D Wonderful guitars! I have an Boden Original 6 that’s become my main guitar.

The only thing keeping me from trying/buying one is the 20" radius. I'm a guy who enjoys the vintage Fender 7.25, but I'm most at home with a 10" radius. Was the totally flat neck a problem with anyone?

The only thing keeping me from trying/buying one is the 20" radius. I'm a guy who enjoys the vintage Fender 7.25, but I'm most at home with a 10" radius. Was the totally flat neck a problem with anyone?
I play a variety of neck profiles and until you mentioned the 20” radius, I never gave it any thought. Since you’re used to the 7.25, the difference may be a bit more prominent to you but I think you’ll adapt to it fairly quick. The back of the neck is going to get your attention more than the fretboard. Personally, I’m loving the Strandberg‘s neck.

The fan on a strandberg is very subtle. There really isn't anything to get used to besides the unique angular neck shape ( it honestly gives me more leverage and comfort). The strandberg 7 string scale go from 25.5" on the treble side to 26.25” on the bass end, while an ormsby 7 goes from 25.5" to 27.8" (at least the 2016 version) and the Ibanez RGD71ALMS is 25.5"-27". I personally love the really flat fretboard radius. I've never had any trouble with bar chords or anything that a smaller radius typically would help with.

Yeah I like flat too, but I haven't played anything that flat; my EJ is 12".

I get what you're saying about the subtle fan, but it's not that subtle, to look at anyway. You're talking to someone who's been playing for well over 50 years, and sold off a 5 string bass because I was tired of fighting with my brain about where the heck is everything :). But maybe it'd groove right in like it's meant to be.

Really, I have to try one. None of the supposed Strandberg dealers around here actually have any in stock, much less the Jazz, which looks really interesting to me. We'll see...

The fan didn't take me much time to adapt to but that's probably because I'm used to playing my Dingwall 5-string bass which has much more extreme fanning. :) Strandbergs are non-conventional in many ways but once you pick it up play it for a few minutes, all the design oddities make sense. They're very ergonomic and sound great! And there's the added benefit that mine weighs four and a half pounds so I can play while standing up for hours.

Will do, I found this video and really like some of the tones he is getting out of it. I don't use as many effects but I'm really digging the overdrive tones.

I kept getting distracted by his backing track. There's a sound in there that sounds like a refined version of Poltergeist Pig. :)

I’ve owned an OS7 since mid ‘15! When I got it, it was my first (and only) seven string. My impression was that fanned frets and endurneck would be less of a concern while fumbling with an extra string! So don’t let the quirky features deter you from playing what I consider to be an amazing instrument. (I still keep my Les Paul and Strat around for those tones and nostalgic reasons, same like I keep my tube amps even though I mostly play FAS’ III and AX8)

Say, .strandberg* enthusiasts … it seems there’s something new on the .strandberg* website. (Or maybe I’m just late to the party.)

https://strandbergguitars.com/playground/

They’ve set up a TonePedia interface that lets you compare models, pickups, etc. Now I can get a taste of the pickups on that Prog 6 I’ve ordered! (Well – kind of … they don’t include a Prog 6 Neck-Thru in the guitar options.)

Still, it’s pretty well done, and entertaining to swap guitars, amps, etc. Enjoy.

P90s, very nice!
FedEx is torturing me as I was supposed to get my Salen Deluxe Thursday. Then they changed it to Friday, and now they’re estimating today but I see that it’s still not in my state as of a few minutes ago.

Dumb lazy question. Do the 6 string versions use normal sets of strings? Nothing special needed to work with that headstock or bridge?

P90s, very nice!
FedEx is torturing me as I was supposed to get my Salen Deluxe Thursday. Then they changed it to Friday, and now they’re estimating today but I see that it’s still not in my state as of a few minutes ago.
That is torture! Did it make it yet?

Back
Top Bottom