Strandberg wierdness.

USMC_Trev

Axe-Master
I love this guitar. I really do. I love the way it feels and plays. I love how light it is. The issue I'm having is that that while the guitar is fantastic to play, the intonation is an issue with the NYXL 9's that are currently on the guitar. When the guitar is tuned standard (EADGBE) no chords are in tune. None at all. If I I tune the low E to pitch and then tune the rest of the strings relative to the low E, a C chord is in tune as is an open D. If I walk that D chord up the fretboard, it gets progressively and markedly out of tune. However, the 12 fret tone and 12 fret natural harmonic are in tune, telling me that the intaination is set correctly. Not sure how to proceed at this point. Recommendations? Is the multiscaling just wrong somehow, like not laid out correctly?

Have you checked the intonation at each fret with open string in tune? Are the first 1-2 frets sharp? Does any string stray from 0 cents and return on the way to the 12th fret?

A recording might be helpful.

I dropped it off at my local guitar shop tech. He's going to completely re-do the setup. After that we're going to evaluate the accuracy of the fret layout.

Last edited:
First off, I have no experience with Strandburg guitars or multi scale instruments. The only thing I can contribute is that I had a very similar issue when using those NYXL strings on a brand new Spector bass. Kept bringing it back to the tech, and it just wouldn't play nice. Switched to Dean Markley Blue Steel strings, and the problem went away. Just my 2¢.

I had one of these and loved the neck - and how light it was - but I could NOT get on with the sound of it and the odd tuning....I had to send it back. It’s the first time I have ever had a guitar and hated the sound so much I couldn’t play it......

...conversely - I had a Trussart recently......LOVED the sound but couldn’t play it as I kept bending the neck away from the bolt on joint _ and it would sound like I was us8ng tremolo......

Back
Top Bottom