.Strandberg* OS, What are your thoughts?

I understand that .Strandberg* guitars in general have a completely different form factor to them and are not conventional in design. However, putting this aside, how do the OS models compare in overall craftsmanship, quality and feel to a MIJ Ibanez or a USA EBMM?

Being a MIK guitar, the immediate assumption is that the quality will be lacking, but with all the additional QC that is done on these instruments, how well does it hold up?

There are varying opinions about the .strandberg guitars, in general, of course. I still want to try one, but I have settled firmly on the Klein design. I now only own a few Forshage Orions. That ergonomic design works perfectly for me, particularly as a classical guitarist (since I sometimes prefer to practice left leg).

I would say if you're really interested, go get that used one, because you can turn it around at minimal loss.

If the OS price point could come down just a little, I think they'd sell a ton of them (well, "ton" relatively speaking, of course). Then again, maybe Kiesel/Carvin will eventually create an ergo headless... which will probably come in right around the same.

I have one of the MIK Boden OS6 models and really like it. The Endure Neck profile takes a little while to get used to but once you do, it is very comfortable to play. They weigh 5lbs so are great for long sets. They have slight fanned frets, but again, not that you would notice whilst playing. Overall, they are, perhaps, a little price heavy but the build quality is very good. The only thing I didn't like, and this was purely personal preference, was the jumbo stainless frets. I had them changed for a medium fret so it better suits my style of playing.

I absolutely love the features of these guitars; with a personal preference actually being those jumbo stainless frets. ;-)

But, I'm really glad to hear of your positive experience with one. I still really want to try one, and to compare the design with my Orions.

I also got one based on my NAMM trip, but I haven't yet fully decided how I feel about the neck, up high is fun but chords in 1st position and such are a little clunky IMO

I also got one based on my NAMM trip, but I haven't yet fully decided how I feel about the neck, up high is fun but chords in 1st position and such are a little clunky IMO
6 or 7 string? The neutral fret (perpendicular to the neck) is different on each.

Any current Boden OS owners wish to chime in and add to my excitement? :D

Future .strandberg owner here ;) I sent an email to Ola Strandberg and had a discussion around his handcrafted versus the Korean made version. He said that the Korean version was no less in quality, just cheaper and more "cookie cutter" like in production readiness. Personally I would see no issue with having this guitar versus a hand crafter version.

Once I finish my masters, my present to myself along with the student debt is a .stradberg guitar. I love the design and the lightweight body, plus, it is just plain cool.

Future .strandberg owner here ;) I sent an email to Ola Strandberg and had a discussion around his handcrafted versus the Korean made version. He said that the Korean version was no less in quality, just cheaper and more "cookie cutter" like in production readiness. Personally I would see no issue with having this guitar versus a hand crafter version.

Once I finish my masters, my present to myself along with the student debt is a .stradberg guitar. I love the design and the lightweight body, plus, it is just plain cool.

Very awesome! :D

My OS8 comes in a few hours. It will be my first multiscale and first 8 string. The funny thing is that I keep thinking my biggest evaluation of it will be on the active pickups as it is my first foray into active territory.

As for it being Korean, I've seen relatively few complaints and largely a lot of people happy with their purchase. It also helps that they (strandberg) have a return policy so if it isn't up to your standard, send it back.

I'll report back after I get a few hours with it but you can also find a ton of reviews, many of which have commentary on the quality, out there.

I've been using my OS6 a lot more the last few days as a result of this thread,adjusted the A/D input for it on the AXefx and have finally decided, its fu@kin awesome....hope you all enjoy yours........

I've been using my OS6 a lot more the last few days as a result of this thread,adjusted the A/D input for it on the AXefx and have finally decided, its fu@kin awesome....hope you all enjoy yours........

That's awesome to know Brad!

I've had mine for a few days now so I'll give you all my thoughts of it thus far;

First thing that really stood out to me was the quality of the materials on the guitar. You can tell immediately that the timbres and hardware on the instrument are of high quality.

The endurneck for me wasn't a big deal at all, It's just another guitar neck for me. However, I did notice that for once it was my right hand that started cramping as opposed to the latter. This might be evidence of the neck profile adding that extra comfort and support, but it's really too soon to tell.

The frets are really nice and smooth and the luminlay side dots and fret markers are a really nice touch!

Overall, I can say that I'm quite satisfied with this guitar.

The only things that I personally see as negative on this instrument are the pickups, neck joint, and accessibility of the high frets (between 19 and 24).

There's not much to say about the pickups, they are EMG's and while they aren't terrible, they just aren't as good as my other passives. I have some BKP Juggernauts currently en route to replace them.

I'm not a guitar QC expert by any means, but the neck isn't perfectly aligned to the neck pocket, it's off by a few mm. Not sure how big of a deal this actually is, but all of my other high end bolt on guitars do not have this issue (if you can even call it that?).

The one drawback to this instrument is that it is not easy to play on the high frets. I'm not entirely sure what this can directly be attributed to, but once I start playing anything past the 19th or 21st fret, my thumb is on the neck joint trying to reach those frets. This could easily just be me not used to the guitar or the neck profile, but it could also be that the neck joint is bulkier than I'm used to.

I also wish that the guitar came with a better case, the gig bag is nice, but I noticed that it is not the same gig bag that comes with their more premium guitars (unless I'm seeing things wrong). It just doesn't feel right having a $2K instrument in a padded bag lol.

This actually came out a lot longer than anticipated, but I figure that at least one of you out there would be interested in my thoughts on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if I decide to sell this guitar in the next few months, but I also wouldn't be surprised if I really get attached to it either.

If you sell, give an Orion a try. No issues with upper fret access (I love the neck joint). Perfect build quality. Great acoustic tone and sustain, even better amplified.

I wish that all of mine had luminlay fret markers...

And, the Cronkhite bag is very high quality.

If you sell, give an Orion a try. No issues with upper fret access (I love the neck joint). Perfect build quality. Great acoustic tone and sustain, even better amplified.

I wish that all of mine had luminlay fret markers...

And, the Cronkhite bag is very high quality.

If they make these in 7 strings, I'll definitely give them a look!

Unquestionably... :-(
I miss both of them. I hate that I had to sell them.

And, also unquestionably! :)
I would love to try it to compare to the other one I had for a while. I traded that for my hollowbody 6-string Orion.

Unquestionably... :-(
I miss both of them. I hate that I had to sell them.

Peregrine sounds pretty fine on the Q3...she says hi.

And, also unquestionably! :)
I would love to try it to compare to the other one I had for a while. I traded that for my hollowbody 6-string Orion.

Do you find there to be any feedback issues with the hollow body Orion? The one he is selling on Reverb is a 7 string

Back
Top Bottom