Strandberg Guitars

harsh

Inspired
I played a gig last weekend, and the headliners were using a Strandberg 8 string (I believe it's called the Boden). I borrowed it for a few mins and tried it out. It's just an amazing guitar - extremely light because of the chambered body, and the design is quite futuristic. The fanned frets take a little getting used to, but it felt really easy to play scales and runs up and down the fretboard after a couple of mins. I believe Tosin Abasi also uses one. It's beyond my budget at this point (£2,000-ish, and I bought a new Ibanez just a couple of months ago), but if I decide to upgrade, this will definitely be on the list.

Anyway, just a recommendation - try one out if you can get your hands on one. They seem amazing.

I don't get what people like about headless guitars. To me, it just looks awful. And if a guitar doesn't appeal the eye, no matter how good it sounds and how playable it is, I simply can't make me like it. :/

I've been a headless convert for 3 decades!
With no headstock the neck is lighter and affords a smaller dimension body
to maintain balance.

Those Strandbergs do look and sound nice!
Their unique bridge and tuning system is intriguing!

My pic avatar is a Custom Aluminum headless Bergeron. The sides are wood & neck thru cnc hollowed.
over $5Gs! The aluminum imparts a signature "chime" and out of this world sustain!

I have one of the 7 string Bodens, and Ola Strandberg's designs are pretty brilliant, the EndurNeck in particular. It took some time to get used to it, like 30 minutes, but it's so comfortable that I really want the Paul Masvidal 6 string model. I will say I'm glad they're changing over to the Washburn custom shop for these production instruments... The shop that built the first production models just seemed to be SWAMPED with work and under pressure to get these out the door. I also think the updated spec through the Washburn facilities is a nice step up and slightly more "bang for the buck" too.

Anyway, yes! These are brilliant, lightweight instruments, with a very "snappy" and punchy sound. If the aesthetic part appeals to you, try one out if you come across one!

I don't get what people like about headless guitars. To me, it just looks awful. And if a guitar doesn't appeal the eye, no matter how good it sounds and how playable it is, I simply can't make me like it. :/

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

Also, I'm very bored of regular headstocks. Same old design regurgitated over and over by most manufacturers. That's why most of my guitars have reverse headstocks.

TBH, I never paid too much attention to these guitars until I had a chance to play one. Its definitely a very scientifically thought-out design.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.
100% agree.

Also, I'm very bored of regular headstocks. Same old design regurgitated over and over by most manufacturers. That's why most of my guitars have reverse headstocks.
Nothing wrong to copy or keep traditional on things that are perfect.

I just got my Carvin HH2X headless this morning and I've been playing headstocks since I was 7 -- I am 33 now and after I've played it - its different and I LIKED IT after 5minutes! headstock vs headless is like comparing apples and oranges -- at the end of the day, its what you do with it - my BODEN8 will arrive in a coupe weeks and am looking forward to it -- screenshot_414.jpg

I'm using Forshage Orion guitars. They are based on the Klein headless ergonomic design (which really works, by the way!). Chris does nice work.

I'm also having two guitars built by Mike Sankey. They will be somewhat a similar design.

For both builders, it's about 9 a month waiting list.

I really want to play some Carvin HH2s and a .strandberg.

i've had this custom for nearly 15 years

headlesskgb.jpg

i had another by the same builder, which i sold last year. i love headless guitars!

i'm having an 8 string headless with fanned frets made at the moment. i've been looking at strandbergs since he went public. very nice guitars. i'm not sure i really like the body shape, but i'd love to try one!

I am can't wait for my custom carbon fiber headless. The builder was hoping to have it done this month, but hardware has taken quite a bit longer than expected (Strandberg tuners). It's going to be stellar.

We have some good NGD threads incoming from ravfx, pima1234, Simeon and Sidivan! I can assuage my GAS vicariously through you guys.

Last edited:
We have some good NGD threads incoming from ravfx, pima1234, Simeon and Sidivan! I can assuage my GAS vicariously through you guys.

Count me in then, I've a "Washberg" Boden 8 on order.
They keep telling me "just a few weeks more" for almost half a year now though. I hope I'll receive it before Santa Claus gets involved in shipment...

I have one of the 7 string Bodens, and Ola Strandberg's designs are pretty brilliant, the EndurNeck in particular. It took some time to get used to it, like 30 minutes, but it's so comfortable that I really want the Paul Masvidal 6 string model. I will say I'm glad they're changing over to the Washburn custom shop for these production instruments... The shop that built the first production models just seemed to be SWAMPED with work and under pressure to get these out the door. I also think the updated spec through the Washburn facilities is a nice step up and slightly more "bang for the buck" too.

Anyway, yes! These are brilliant, lightweight instruments, with a very "snappy" and punchy sound. If the aesthetic part appeals to you, try one out if you come across one!

You must be thinking of Strictly 7 Guitars... I'll let you google that one.

TBH, I never paid too much attention to these guitars until I had a chance to play one. Its definitely a very scientifically thought-out design.

You'd LOVE Rick Toone then.

I've been putting off a few myself. Stay tuned for JW Van pt.II, Thorn, and Daemoness content ;)

Back
Top Bottom